Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

hello

kitty

Jan 16, 14 1:25 am  · 
 · 

It seems there is some really fascinating contrast between Hello Kitty and what I think of first when I think "Japanese culture" which is tea ceremony. The US has plenty of stuff on the Kitty side of that divide but really nothing at all on the tea ceremony side. Unless you count Native American ceremony, of course.

On another topic, relative to the NPR story  just heard on medical applications of marijuana, it's crazy and pretty cool how even though pot is barely legal a significant infrastructure for its production already exists. Just the distribution channels are different.

Jan 16, 14 7:49 am  · 
 · 

Stop listening to the gaijin talk about Japan, he's clearly deluded about his hosts.  All you need to know about the land of the rising sun is that you're not allowed to sneeze there.  Now that's fucked up.

Jan 16, 14 8:57 am  · 
 · 

Back in the early days of the 'drug war' (Ronnie Raygun), the feds interdicted more weed in a year than they estimated the total size of the market to be. That, in a nutshell, is why production is not the problem. Like everything else (money, food, medicene), it's distribution.

Jan 16, 14 9:19 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Two things I was surprised by:

How smoking while walking was seen as very rude.

That there was a dearth of trash cans since it seems that most folks either generate little trash in public (due to it being, again, rude to eat and walk) and what they do generate they take with them and deposit it in their home / work trash cans. It was STILL less trash strewn than streets in the US where there's a trash can every few dozen feet.

Jan 16, 14 9:24 am  · 
 · 
3tk

SneakyPete - was this before or after the sarin terror incidents? many cities in Japan got rid of a lot of the trash cans as a response to those terrorist acts.

Will - I found Japan, at least Tokyo, to be very class segregated.  It was in the subtle ways neighbors spoke about each other in private (smile and greet on the street, stab in the back in private); much of it based on jobs (even without significant pay differences) and family background.  I found this to be an internal thing with all gaijin and foreign raised to be another (rather irrelevant) class.  Full professors are addressed differently as junior faculty (at least in most faculties at Todai until about 10yrs ago), with varying differences in the language used to address and sometimes converse each 'tier'.  The scathing looks I get for looking Japanese and using familiar and broken formal japanese is more than enough to make me never want to move back.

Jan 16, 14 9:38 am  · 
 · 

It's all about blood type.  Thankfully I'm a negative which means that I'm descended from aliens and will likely be spared.  I heartily welcome their return to earth...as long as they stay out of government.

Jan 16, 14 9:51 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Handsome, have you ever read "The Homecoming?"  I saw it once on a library shelf, but have never been able to read it.  It postulates that the dinosaurs didn't become extinct, but instead, were highly technological beings that left Earth in space craft.  Obvious from the title, they return during present day (if present day is the 70s).

So I just watched an animated movie on Netflix.  It's called "The House" and is about what happens to houses after they become vacant.  Turns out, it's a foreign film, and I couldn't tell if it was Chinese or Vietnamese.  I know, there is a BIG difference, but being uninformed, I can't tell the difference.  But it WASN't Japanese.  So which culture has house spirits?  Which has a God of Land?  The movie was long, but interesting.

Jan 16, 14 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Just looked it up.  I was wrong on all my guesses.  It's Korean!

Jan 16, 14 10:18 am  · 
 · 

I just had a hearing test.  Turns out my hearing is, quoth the doctor, "Perfect" - which I now intend to remind my husband of every time he says something to me and I don't respond.

Sarah, I'm totally anti-woo but I still love the idea of house spirits.

Jan 16, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

i had the same result a couple of years ago, donna. and i got the hearing test for similar reasons.

apparently "perfect" means that you have the (in)voluntary ability to filter what you're hearing based on its desirability, convenience, and relevance to what you're doing at the moement. to hear everything - ergo - would be less than ideal...

Jan 16, 14 12:42 pm  · 
 · 

The doc gave me a nice explanation of husbands and wives and their common hearing ailments over the years.  He's obviously dealt with a lot of couples just like us ha!

My dog has selective hearing, to be sure.  If that things she's sniffing smells really interestingly good she totally doesn't hear me. Guess I'm the same!

Jan 16, 14 12:57 pm  · 
 · 

I did not know that about dinosaurs but it might explain another part of the puzzle.  I'll have to look into more closely though.

Jan 16, 14 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

What was the doc's explanation?

Jan 16, 14 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

I have perfect hearing, too. I can't hear high-pitched whining and nagging.

Jan 16, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

lol....Yes Selective hearing runs long in my family.....You said What? When did you Say it? Can you say it again? 

Jan 16, 14 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

What is anti-woo?  I'm coming up with all sorts of ideas from anti-asian to anti-romance.  Help.

Also, while we're educating me in hip new lingo, what is n/t mean?  I see it in comment threads sometimes.

Jan 16, 14 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

so obviously it's not the receiver that isn't working, it's the sender.  the assumption should be that if you didn't respond in the affirmative, it was never spoken.

Jan 16, 14 2:48 pm  · 
 · 

Isn't it that men and women lose hearing in different ranges and they happen to be each others naturally speaking pitch? or something to that effect.

@ Donna, yeah there is history in Japan that adds some cool hues to the world for those who are interested. Hello Kitty is winning the cultural attention span right now. Fine with me to be honest.  I like bright colors.

Speaking of brightness, one of the speakers at our now concluded conference, Chiaki Hayashi (founder of loftwork),  brought up fantastic idea that tradition is also a matter of continuous invention and change, and that traditions only begin to lose their importance when we try too hard to keep things unmoving and in a box. Her work along those lines in reality as a businesswoman is brilliant and proves the point so amazingly. She is rebuilding and extending traditional skills and products in rural Japan through design based on that principle, and it is working very well.  Seriously awesome.

@3tk,i'm not saying there isn't bullshit here. there is a lot of it, but it isn't as bad as canada or the usa when it comes to social access and related mobility.

Japan is a meritocracy in a lot of ways. If you went to Todai you know its one of the top schools in the region (nobel prizes, national leaders, blah blah) and that you get in by performance not cash. In Japan the better you are at school the lower your tuition and the more access to jobs, education, research funds, women (or men) and fast cars. Ok, fine I made up the last two.  However, govt subsidizes talent. They dont give a flying fuck if you come from the wrong side of the tracks....which is great. 

More great is that there are no wrong tracks to be on either side of. We don't have zoning by class like we do in north america. Itinerant workers live literally beside millionaires, on the same street, use the same roads, same services, same police protection, same shopping and it has been like that for some time, well before those pop culture books came out.

Beyond that its the same old rubbish, sure. The rich send their kids to private school, the poor go to public school, and the kids who can't pass the exams to get into high school congregate in the shite schools and do stuff that gets made into movies, etc. But there is no stigma to be living next to an apt building of 1 room flats, and there is no stigma for actually being the person LIVING in one of those flats either.

For the rest, i agree looking asian and not speaking perfect japanese  sucks shit here.  As far as I can tell  the reason isn't some samurai feudalistic hangover though.  it's just because people can be bloody assholes when given a chance.

Jan 16, 14 7:07 pm  · 
 · 

Donna - taking Angus to the Kncks - Pacers game?

Jan 16, 14 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

Is it baseball season already?!

Jan 16, 14 8:08 pm  · 
 · 

No worries, he'll forgive you. Someday.

Jan 16, 14 8:42 pm  · 
 · 
I can't like Donna's comment on Archinect, but I love it anyway. I knew there was a reason I love her.
Jan 16, 14 8:48 pm  · 
 · 
I can't like Donna's comment on Archinect, but I love it anyway. I knew there was a reason I love her.
Jan 16, 14 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

Hahaha I love you too Steven! And I constantly read comment here I want to "Like".

Jan 16, 14 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Here's a thought.  TC can evaluate the cast of characters who post here and do some matchmaking. 

Jan 16, 14 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Who is my nemesis/true love observant?
Jan 17, 14 8:50 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Red, obviously.

Jan 17, 14 8:57 am  · 
 · 

After yesterday's bombshell, I very thankful that the planet earth is still here.

I think one of the most astonishing thing is that there are not just one aliens speicies but at least two and possibly as many as 12 that have been visiting earth:  tall whites, short greys, nordic blondes, etc.  Almost sounds like the menu at a coffee house.

Yet the multiple species kind of fits with the ancient knowledge too as the egyptian setians and osirrian keepers of light have battled for centuries.  Often right in front of us without even realizing it.

Jan 17, 14 9:17 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

what was yesterday's bombshell?  and nordic blondes are aliens?

Jan 17, 14 9:20 am  · 
 · 

Only if they don't have a green card.

Jan 17, 14 9:59 am  · 
 · 

excerpted text of former Canadian Defense Minister explaining aliens types as interviewed by Russia Today (full text & video available at FARS):

SS: You also told me that people write you emails, three to five emails a week, and they’ve actually been abducted or they had encounters with aliens. Do they actually tell you what these aliens look like? I mean, everyone’s interested – how would I know if I see an alien and he abducts me?

PH: First question you have to ask is how many species are there? I used to think there were between two and twelve. Apollo astronaut, Edgar Mitchell, who came to Toronto a few years ago and had dinner with us agreed there were something around two and twelve, but the latest reports that I’ve been getting from various sources are that there are about 80 different species and some of them look just like us and they could walk down the street and you wouldn’t know if you walked past one. They are what we call “Nordic blondes” and also the Tall Whites who were actually working with the US air force in Nevada. They’re able to get away with that, they had a couple of their ladies dressed as nuns go into Las Vegas to shop and they weren’t detected. I have a friend who saw one of the men walking along the street, he is somebody who can recognize that they were different, and he did. Then there’s the Short Grey’s as they are called, and they are the ones you see in most of the cartoons, they have very-very slim arms and legs, they are very short, just a little over 5 feet, and they have a great big head and great big brown eyes. But, there are different species and you have to know that they are different species and know that they all are different. If you saw the Short Greys you’d certainly know there’s something up that you’ve never seen before, but if you saw one of the Nordic Blondes, you’d probably say “Oh I wonder if she’s from Denmark or somewhere.”

SS: So these species that you are describing – are they all different in terms of nice and mean? Are some of them nice and benevolent and others nasty, how are they? Are they good to people on Earth or are they here to harm them?

PH: It’s a difficult question to answer, because they have different agendas and maybe all of us on Earth should have the same agenda, but you couldn’t say, maybe, that Russia and China and the US all had the same agenda at every turn, because they don’t. I would say that nearly all are benign and benevolent and they do want to help us, there may be one or two species which do not. That’s one of the things I’m investigating at the moment, to see who they are, what they are up to and what their agendas really are.

SS: These extraterrestrial creatures – where did they come from and how did they get here, to Earth?

PH: They come from various places. For a long while I only knew about ones who came from different star systems – the Pleadis, Zeta Reticuli and several other star systems…but in the past few months I have met [those] who made me aware that there are some in our star system, and that there are actually extraterrestrials who live on a planet called Andromedia, which is one of the moons of Saturn and that there are others on Venus and some on Mars and that they may be interacting between themselves – I suspect that they are because there is what is called a “Federation” of these people and they have rules. For example, one of the rules is that they don’t interfere with our affairs unless there are invited to – and that’s one of the reasons, probably, that we haven’t seen more of them until very recently…

SS: But, what do you mean, there are lots of people who want to interact with them, there are a lot of people who actually want to see them and to know who they are. What, do they need a special invitation to interact with us? What does it mean – “they don’t want to interfere with our affairs”?

PH: They don’t want to tell us how to run our affairs, they have accepted the fact that this is our planet, and that we have the right to run it, but they are very-very concerned: they don’t think we are good stewards of our planet, we’re clear cutting our forests, we’re polluting our rivers and our lakes, and we’re dumping sewage in the oceans, and we’re doing all sorts of things which are not what good stewards of their homes should be doing. They don’t like that and they made it very clear. As a matter of fact they have given us a warning.

SS: How?

PH: This has come from more than one source…

SS: How have they made it clear, what have they done?

PH: They have talked to people. One of the chaps I’ve talked with about a month ago was interacting with them in 1974, he and his brother, in Peru. They were taken to Andromedia, teleported. They were told what people there think and that we’re really wrecking our planet and in fact that something dreadful is going to happen to it if we don’t smarten up and change our ways. We spend too much time fighting each other, we spend too much money on military expenditures, and not enough on feeding the poor and looking after the homeless and the sick, and that we are polluting our waters and our air and that we’re playing around with these exotic weapons, thermonuclear weapons and atomic weapons, which have such devastating effects both on Earth and other areas of Cosmos. They don’t like that and that’s the reason they would like to work with us, to teach us better ways, but only, I think, with our consent. They work through individuals; they try and pick out individuals who won’t be frightened to death by them, because they can get you quite afraid. One of the cases I’m familiar with was with the Tall Whites in Nevada, where the US airman working with them was just frightened to death of them, and one, Charles Hall, rescued the daughter of one of the high-up people in the Tall White and as result became very good friends with the mother, and as soon as they could trust each other, they had a wonderful relationship. He wrote a book about it, called “Millennial Hospitality” – it tells you how you go through these stages, of being scared out of your wits, but then, when you establish a trust and a working relationship –you can have the same kind of relationship that you would have with someone here on Earth.

SS: But here’s what I’m thinking: if you are outing their presence, which is clearly not what they want, since they are hiding, why aren’t you afraid of repercussions? You are obviously stating that they are here, among us, telling me all these species that exist…

PH: They are here among us and I’m not afraid because in most cases, as far as technology is concerned, they are light years ahead of us, and we have learned a lot of things from them. A lot of the things we use today we got from them, you know – led lights and microchips and Kevlar vests and all sorts things that we got from their technology and we could get a lot more too, especially in the fields of medicine and agriculture if we would go about it peacefully. But, I think, maybe some of our people are more interested in getting the military technology, and I think that’s wrong-headed, and that’s one of the things that we are going to have to change, because we’re going to have to work together, all of us, everywhere on the planet.

Jan 17, 14 10:13 am  · 
 · 

It's also fascinating how the idea of benevalent aliens concerned about clear-cutting jives with the near-death experience of David Milarch who's founded the champion tree project as his life's mission.

Jan 17, 14 10:19 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I don't know if anyone else saw the new mayor of NYC's "vision zero".  Once you decide motor-vehicle collisions are a public health issue, suddenly traffic planners are viewing "vulnerable road user" safety the most important issue in intersection/street design as opposed to motor vehicle "level of service."   The federal government is also setting this as a priority.

This has been a long time coming, but I think in a few years we'll start seeing a real impact on site planning.

Jan 17, 14 11:26 am  · 
 · 
observant

and nordic blondes are aliens?

Well, they're aryans more so than aliens.  And, to some, aryans are aliens, in a way.

What, no yentas here to do so matchmaking?

Jan 17, 14 11:28 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

http://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/01/in-the-name-of-love/

What a fantastic article.

Jan 17, 14 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Thought of you, Donna!

Jan 17, 14 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

wonderraforyourdick is an alcoholic asshole.  You supposed to be wary of eating fish because of mercury buildup yet injecting directly into your blood stream is a-ok?  yeah right.

And if vaccines are so safe then why are there  official program of compensation for the thousands of admitted injuries as a result of vaccination?

But yeah, sure keep injecting yourself with poisons, drinking fluoride, eating patented gmo food,etc.  And when your fat, broke, stupid and dying then at least you'll now why.

Jan 17, 14 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

being an alcoholic asshole doesn't make him wrong.  on the other hand, being educated might make him right.

Jan 17, 14 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Oh god handsum you are so wrong.

The vaccine court is to award people who are injured in the administration of vaccines, yes.  But the awards are for injuries like a doctor not following needle protocol - very rare these days - or accidentally overdosing or some issue of negligence: NOT for causing autism or whatever.

The vaccine court *has* awarded settlements to families who claim that the vaccine led to a brain injury such as encephalitis when the medical problem happened AFTER the vaccine.  But in every case I know of there are lots of mitigating factors and/or the medical issue happened long AFTER the vaccine.  The sequence of events doesn't prove a connection, at all.  One example is a family who gave their kid a vaccine, traveled to India very soon after for an extended period, had various medical treatments done on the kid there, then came back to the US and filed a claim a year after the initial shot. The vaccine court finding was that they couldn't prove that the shot *did not* cause the medical problem (you can't prove a negative), so it *might* have been a contributing factor.  But the court also couldn't know what the kid was exposed to in India, which very easily might have been the cause of the problem.  Rather than go through a long international discovery program - which would have been impossible, anyway - the vaccine court awarded the family some money - they were facing a long difficult life of medical bills, anyway, so every little bit helps.  That's compassionate, IMO.

What vaccine court settlements ABSOLUTELY DO NOT DO is show scientific proof of any connection between vaccines and anything else. Only scientific research can do that.  In many, many legal proceedings a settlement is offered and accepted simply because it's easier than going through a lengthy legal battle.  Vaccine court is no different, and from what I know every family that files a claim is facing a pretty difficult situation no matter what caused the problem, so why not help them out - and I say that as a taxpayer whose dollars are being used in the settlements! I'd rather pay for sick and injured kids than pay for wars over gasoline.

In summation:

1. You get more mercury in an apple than you get in a vaccine.

2. A court award is not scientific proof.

3. The car ride to the doctor's office is SIGNIFICANTLY riskier for your child than the vaccine they will get there.

4. Smart people listen to the other smart people (aka experts) who know what they're talking about. When it comes to vaccines, you don't know what you're talking about.

Jan 17, 14 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Oops, forgot to add: some families have been awarded for issues like encephalitis that are recorded as being "autism-like" problems. They're not autism, they're issues that cause autism-like symptoms.

Jan 17, 14 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

From the CDC: Possible Side-effects from Vaccines

DTaP vaccine side-effects
(Diphtheria, Tetanus, and acellular Pertussis)

Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness
Permanent brain damage.

Influenza (inactivated) vaccine side-effects

There is a small possibility that inactivated flu vaccine could be associated with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)

MMR vaccine side-effects
(Measles, Mumps, and Rubella)

Deafness
Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness
Permanent brain damage

etc., etc., etc.

Also some statistics:

A 1992 study published in The American Journal of Epidemiology shows that children die at a rate 8 times greater than normal within three days after getting a DPT vaccination.

A preliminary study by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) found children who received the HiB vaccine ... were found to be 5 times more likely to contract the disease than children who had not received the vaccine.

In the New England Journal of Medicine July 1994 issue a study found that over 80% of children under 5 years of age who had contracted whooping cough had been fully vaccinated.

In 1977 Dr Jonas Salk (inventor of the Salk polio vaccine) testified with other scientists that 87% of the polio cases which occurred in the US since 1970 were the by-product of the polio vaccine.

The Sabin oral polio vaccine (OPV) is the only known cause of polio in the us today.

The February 1981 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association found that 90% of obstetricians and 66% of pediatricians refused to take the rubella vaccine.

Statistics are great as long as you aren't one of them.

Jan 17, 14 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
Where are your stats from, miles?
Jan 17, 14 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
I'm guessing the one about polio is saying that some people who *get* the polio vaccine get the disease *from* the vaccine? Seems unlikely, or extremely rare, but ok.

So to avoid polio, as long as you, your child, and any person who ever comes in contact with your child never has contact with anyone who has ever been outside of the US or has ever been in contact with anyone else who has ever been outside of the US, you should be fine. Good to know, I mean it's not like airports exist or anything.
Jan 17, 14 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

There's plenty of stats out there if you care to look but when you are lazy & would rather just trust everything that you are told then you'll never have any hope of learning anything.

So like fine, keep on believing your American propaganda if it makes you feel better.  I'm sure you'll enjoy your cancer!

Jan 17, 14 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
Handsum, Miles: I can find a study that will show any results I want. The problem is there are thousands of crap studies. But there are also thousands of LEGITIMATE studies that show that while vaccines have risks, they do far more to protect our society than they harm it, and they are far, FAR safer than getting in a car.

Handsum: don't accuse me of not thinking it being lazy. I have a child. I did the research. I continue to educate myself about this topic. In terms of overall benefit to society, and in terms of benefit to you own children except in vanishingly rare citcstances, YOU ARE WRONG.
Jan 17, 14 6:16 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Miles:  What do you know about this disease?

" There is a small possibility that inactivated flu vaccine could be associated with Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)"

I know it is  a nasty one cause my Uncle came down with this while in Chile and also had polio when he was a kid.  It has been a few years of struggle but he does get around and talks and his mind is as still sharp as a tack.

Jan 17, 14 7:15 pm  · 
 · 

Donna - sorry, left out the source: http://www.mercola.com/article/vaccines/statistics.htm

snook - no experience (thankfully)

Jan 17, 14 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

so we should stop vaccinating for polio and other diseases and go back to doing nothing and let thousands get sick instead?  isn't that sort of up there with Roebling treating his smashed foot with water therapy instead of going to a doctor?  That worked out real good (except that he died). 

Jan 17, 14 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Just hit the news yesterday, Johson& Johnson is removing formadyde from all products.  It's too dangerous for shampoo but you fools are happy to trust the drunken & angry (probably because you're attacking his cash cow) doctor who insists—just trust him— that it's perfectly ok to inject into the bloodstream.

You probably could stop vaccinating for polio because it was more the product of the extensive use of DDT chemical at the times (including in milk) rather tahn any natural phenomnon.  Most of these drugs, vaccines and cures are nothing more than (profitable) responses to the poisoning of the environment.  Just wait, once fracking cranks up some new disease will emerge and voila the drug cartels will cook up another savior for you.

Look, for the sake of argument, I'll even concede that vaccine theory might be valid.  But that's no reason to be loading it up industrial chemicals. Why do that?  To preserve it's shelf life?  To improve profit margin for shareholders?

Jan 18, 14 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: