Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

Oops, link to Johnson& Johnson article.

Jan 18, 14 9:19 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Handsome! You can't go around calling someone a cunt or a bad mother, especially when you've never met that person.

If you want to share your ideas on lizard-alien-people, that's fine. You can even voice your opinion on vaccines and government take-overs. But you have keep your arguments polite. You can't begin name-calling.

Goodness, if I'd known that picture would stir up such a mess, I wouldn't have posted it.
Jan 18, 14 9:36 am  · 
 · 
observant

Handsome! You can't go around calling someone a cunt or a bad mother, especially when you've never met that person.

Sarah, he's Handsum because we don't know if he's handsome.  Isn't the Octomom a bad mother?  She's in the news again.  Baby factory type ladies are kind of gross, cranking them out with reckless disregard for those kids' footprints and impact on the globe.  As for the "c word," Lisa Lampanelli once told her audience in a gig "Ladies, learn to love the 'c word'."  Surely there are some a-necters who find Lampanelli funny and even sort of accurate.

I think society's biggest current problem, on a domestic level, is the proliferation of hipsters.

Jan 18, 14 9:44 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i thought handsum said at some point it was actually 'hand some cash' rather than 'handsome cash'

there are a significant number of people in america who vaccinate their kids because they believe it's the right thing to do, and still do a good job of raising their kids to be decent people.  whether that opinion on vaccination is mistaken or not, it does not make a person a bad spouse or a bad parent.  your assessment to the contrary is highly flawed.

you seem to be upset about people believing everything they read and being manipulated because of that handsum.  how do you vet your sources?  why do you think the legitimate studies your read are more legitimate than the contradictory studies?  what makes you think you're not being manipulated by attention seeking paranoid nuts?

Jan 18, 14 10:17 am  · 
 · 

HandsumCa$hMoneyYo

You crossed the line. Time to man up and apologize. Consider this a virtual bitch slap.

Jan 18, 14 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

Wow, "odius cunt"? Wow. I've never been called that before, at least not to my face LOL.

Handsum I don't care if you vaccinate your kids or not as long as they don't ever have contact with my kids or anyone else's kids or anyone who is immunocompromised and therefore can't be immunized ever.  (Do you understand what "herd immunity" means?)

But every time you spout your reasons why vaccines are bad, I'll counter with the reasons why you're wrong, because I don't want other people reading this, who might not have read anything about it, to think your statements on this matter have any validity.  They don't. The science on vaccines is in, and while every single thing we do in our lives carries some risk, the risk of vaccinations is vanishingly small compared to the benefits they give to the entire society. 

Now if everyone else reading wants to follow Handsum's links on lizard people, fine.  Enjoy!  But get your vaccinations and make sure your kids have them too.

Jan 18, 14 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

I don't expect Donna, and hope she won't, respond to Handjobsforrimjobs, so let me. You're a classless fuckwad, and conspiracy lunatic, if you had half a sack you'd just deactivate your account, and crawl back into you lair. You don't know what you're talking about, never have, and that you buy into vaccination hoaxes, puts you on par with Jenny McCarthy, and that's all that really needs to be said about you; a dumb bimbo with the IQ of a playboy playmate. 

bye for now. 

Jan 18, 14 1:10 pm  · 
 · 

Hahaha we cross posted, beta!

Your "half a sac" comment reminds me: we recently watched Ghostbusters.  My child enjoyed it, and I was specifically happy that he laughed at my favorite joke in the movie, and one of my favorite jokes every made by Bill Murray, when Egon says everything was fine "…until dickless here pulled the power" on the ghost-prison thingamajig, and the mayor asks "Is this true?" and Bill Murray says "Yes, it's true. This man has no dick."

Ha I guess I'm a bad mother because I let my ten year old hear and make dick jokes.

Jan 18, 14 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Love that movie!

Jan 18, 14 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Ugh. In my book, anti vaccine people are about the lowest fools.

I know a family with two austic children. They blame vaccines even though child #2 hasn't ever had them. Now, that's twisted logic.
Jan 18, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

I'm resisting the urge to go over to the "favorite architecture school word" thread and type "odious cunt" LOL!  Must….resist…..

Sarah, I like those threads.  

Jan 18, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
I have been wondering who benefits from the scaremongering surrounding vaccines. Because the anti vaccine crowd seems remarkably organized and crosses political divides. Where does the money go?
Jan 18, 14 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
And, BTW, I do not know Donna, but find her to be an intelligent and lovely person.
Jan 18, 14 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^ Now, if she only had the same opinion of me, though I've never been called lovely before.  There's always a first time.

Jan 18, 14 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Handjobsforrimjobs got boring when that "OC" stopped using 'yo' at the end of its posts. Now HJfRJ is just a sad Muppet, yo!

Jan 18, 14 3:29 pm  · 
 · 

There is no doubt that vaccinations can be good and have been instrumental in eliminating some terrible diseases. But there is also a fair amount of evidence that vaccinations can be harmful or worse.

Antibiotics used to be the miracle that would cure anything. Now it turns out that many pathogens have developed immunity to them, either naturally or because of mis- or overuse. There is no magic bullet, technology is not a cure all and often comes with unintended consequences.

Jan 18, 14 4:06 pm  · 
 · 

Yes, but the only unintended consequences of vaccines that have been *proven* thus far are the very rare adverse reactions to the immunization.  In the meantime, very grave diseases are essentially eradicated in wide populations. The so-called dangers of immunizations - thimerosol, etc. - have been way overblown by people who buy into the notion that the CDC is about government mind control and that ALL doctors ONLY care about making money.

I'm with gruen: I wonder where the anti-vax money trail leads.  I believe that Natural News dot com et al make huge advertising income, and anti-vax speakers command high fees, and Andrew Weil sells millions of books.

It's like seat belts: very very occasionally someone dies in a car accident *because* of their seat belt, for example, the seat belt trapped them and they couldn't get out.  But seatbelts have saved vastly higher numbers of people from death or injury than they have harmed. We shouldn't use the few rare deaths as reason to stop using them.

Jan 18, 14 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Antivaccinationsists are equivalent to anti-climatists, anti-science, anti-evolution crowd. http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/toxic-myths-about-vaccines/

Now, either we're on the side of science, or we're on the side of lunacy. I'm going with science. 

There is no, none, zero, NADA, science out there for anyone to believe that vaccinating your child will cause harm, in fact, as our resident, 'OC-in-charge' has pointed out, keep your precious, vac-free kids, away from all the other sane, vac-kids, immuno-compro-kids and we'll be all the better for it. Remember, Darwin has a plan for them, and us, it's call 'Survival of The Fittest', and that's about Science, homes.

Jan 18, 14 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Bring on the Plague.....I have my Louisville Slugger!

Jan 18, 14 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Hmmmm, looks like Handsum (and his astoundingly offensive comment) have been 'disappeared' !

IMO, good riddance to an obviously narcissistic troll.

Yo!

Jan 19, 14 6:31 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

now days, if you get the plague, they just give you a shot

i think the point is with responsible use, the benefits of both immunization and antibiotics far outweigh the cost.  it's not 6 of one half a dozen of the other, it's 11 of one 1 of the other.  some people are just too focused on the cost of the 1 to see the benefit of the 11.

Jan 19, 14 11:30 am  · 
 · 

Another sign that the end times are here:

Amazon patents mobile warehouses.

Jan 19, 14 11:51 am  · 
 · 

ooh, time to bulk up my wish list! maybe amazon will send the things i like to my local warehouse and - when they get tired of waiting for my order - send them for free.

[yeah, right.]

reading keller easterling's "enduring innocence" right now. feeling pretty cynical about everything. 

Jan 19, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

I find it exceedingly difficult not to be cynical about everything.

Jan 19, 14 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
observant

cynical about everything.

Standard tri-state NYC mentality; issued at birth.  Much like those brown sandals guys from India wear.  There is also a joke that those were issued to them at birth.

Jan 19, 14 1:30 pm  · 
 · 

^ Your remote judgement isn't worth the power used to light the pixels it's printed with.

Jan 19, 14 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

^- not even on an energy star led monitor with the brightness turned half way down

Jan 19, 14 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^ Your remote judgement isn't worth the power used to light the pixels it's printed with.

I'm just lumping you in with everyone I know from there and my relatives.  It wasn't meant as a put down.  It's also usually loaded with a healthy dose of sarcasm.  And bluntness, too. All qualities I like.  A New Yorker without those qualities would be like a male missing a testicle.

You spelled judgment with that extra "e."

^- not even on an energy star led monitor with the brightness turned half way down

Curt wakes up.  There was that appended gratuitous non-PC reference to see who was paying attention and would be offended.  So far, so good.  I'm now waiting on SneakyPete.

Jan 19, 14 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

A New Yorker without those qualities would be like a male missing a testicle.

Lance Armstrong?

Jan 19, 14 9:01 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Lance Armstrong?

He's a Texan.  At least by residence.  I sure as hell don't like him after they interviewed one of his friends or teammates on 20/20 or 60 Minutes ... and it turned out to be true.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Actually, I was thinking Beatrice Arthur of "Maude" fame - cynical, sarcastic, and blunt.  And she packed more testicles than Walter, her husband on the show, and a deeper voice, too. That show wouldn't have worked had it been sited in the heartland.  Mrs. Cunningham on "Happy Days" she ain't.  Bea Arthur is no longer with us.

The faux pas in that show is that they cross the GW into Jersey when they roll the credits, yet it's supposedly set in Tuckahoe, which is in Westchester County, NY, and which does not require crossing a bridge of that size.

Jan 19, 14 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

she had three testicles?  That's too many testicles.  especially for a woman.

Jan 19, 14 9:29 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
ET. The extra testicle.

A girlfriend I once had honestly thought that guys had a random number of balls. Now, wouldn't that be something.
Jan 19, 14 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
observant

she had three testicles?  That's too many testicles.  especially for a woman.

She took one from Walter, whether he liked it or not.

A girlfriend I once had honestly thought that guys had a random number of balls. Now, wouldn't that be something.

It could probably happen.  There's a condition called an auxiliary nipple, or a third nipple.  It would probably be easier to hide the scar from removing a third testicle than from removing an auxiliary nipple, but rearranging the plumbing would be the difficult part.

Jan 19, 14 10:21 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

She took one from Walter, whether he liked it or not.

WTF?  Bea Arthur was going around surgically removing testicles?

Jan 19, 14 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
Atis

Sorry to interrupt your discussion about testicles, 
but if you are interested in parametric architecture / urbanism this might interest you and help me a lot! :) 

A survey about parametric urbanism! (link to all responses after submission) 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1kxjSlOwQy3P7obbvMMeVvzSQGFkd5wRbTvUjHp0coT8/viewform

Thank you! 

Jan 19, 14 11:06 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

"parametric urbanism" is essentially adaptive performance-based zoning codes - which is interesting from a policy standpoint - however, the imagery - especially the urban forms - "parametricists" produce is absolutely terrifying and oppressive at the human scale.  PUT SOME TREES AND PEOPLE IN THE RENDERINGS!!!!  Show quality of materials. Show how people will use these spaces and you'll get more converts.  I'm not convinced the parametricists understand experiences of individual users.  The scale needs to come WAY down.

The other main stumbling block with parametric urbanism is individual property ownership - it appears to only work in completely totalitarian political systems.

Jan 20, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Now all we need is a building that resembles parametrically induced testicular sacs.

So, it was Seattle over San Francisco.

Now what?  Denver or Seattle?

You know, since I don't do beer, you wouldn't expect me to follow football, either.  Correct.  However, I typically watch the Super Bowl.

So, will it go coastal or flyover?  Meh.  Actually, Denver is not considered flyover.  It's still the West.

Jan 20, 14 12:55 pm  · 
 · 

Bong/Stoner Bowl?

Jan 20, 14 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2011/01/great-mmr-vaccine-fraud

it's an oldie, but a goodie.

Jan 20, 14 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^^ Nam, that's an interesting perspective on the match up.

Also, we could look at this by "vicarious" stoner factor.

Seattle has 2 earthy-crunchy, stoner college towns near it, in Bellingham and Olympia.

Denver has 1 earthy-crunchy, stoner college town near it, in Boulder.

With this logic, Denver will have it more together and may win.  But I'm hoping not.

Jan 21, 14 7:34 am  · 
 · 
observant

Here's another appropriate but VERY SAD example that supports a stereotype.  Mexico?  No way, Jose. VERY SAD.  And only 22 years old and a college student.

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=848294

Similarly, Venezuela and Colombia are the two biggest cesspools in South America.  The stories of crime in Caracas and Bogota are mind boggling.  I couldn't be bothered.  The only country down there which is edgy and I've been to is Brazil, and it was ONLY to see Rio de Janeiro.  Captivating as it was, I'm not sure whether I'd go back or not.

Jan 21, 14 7:40 am  · 
 · 

good grief, observant. who do you imagine is the among the appreciative audience for your numerous and often lengthy pronouncements?

who cares whether you'd discount a whole country - or several - as unworthy of your attention? really.  

so we've made some progress: you're now acknowledging that you're making stereotypes based on isolated incidents and examples. now, maybe you can just recognize that they're ridiculous and stop doing it

thanks. 

[i'm trying so hard to ignore observant's posts, but they just. keep. coming.]

Jan 21, 14 12:36 pm  · 
 · 

Polar Vortex 2: just started snowing. Expecting 8-14" tonight and really cold for a week to follow.

Jan 21, 14 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
observant

good grief, observant. who do you imagine is the among the appreciative audience for your numerous and often lengthy pronouncements?

No need to be so PC.  Just read those rankings on which countries routinely are in the top 10 lists to avoid.  Since I have friends and acquaintances from these countries, and they have wanted me to go, I have to politely keep telling them NO ... and almost ask what part of NO don't you understand?  As in "You want to me to go a crime infested shit hole where you recently told me your 76 y.o. mother was mugged using a city bus in her own neighborhood?"

Here was a KID on a TV game show going to college. No sympathy here?  So, this doesn't shock you?   If people in the drug cliques are at war with each other, that's one thing.  When it spills over into the general population, and it does, that's terrible.  Read up on Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, right across the Rio Grande from El Paso, TX.  There, the bodies pile up.  Now how is THAT a stereotype?  It's an actual number, and a frightening one.  All those Top 10 Lists are based on numbers, not stereotypes.  Social psychologists and sociologists who conduct research to back up findings on group dynamics use statistics.  Therefore, stereotypes could also be linked to statistics - the likelihood that certain traits and behaviors are more likely to be found in one group than in another.  Even those dumb featured boxes evaluating attitudes on the front of USA Today are based on polling, and not conjecture.  Perhaps we don't want to look at hard numbers because they display things that are not pleasant and shatter the creation of denial and illusion.

Your final comment about "trying so hard to ignore" shows how condescending you are.  It's not as if you own the God damn place.  Have a sip of one of your expensive cherished liqueurs and just get over it.

Jan 21, 14 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

anyone else catch this?  skyscraper candles.  pretty clever.

Jan 21, 14 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You must be right. It's not you, it's us. Guys, we should all change so Observant is right. it's the only logical conclusion.

Jan 21, 14 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^  Architects more often than not tend to be ridiculously PC, packaged liberals (and I stress packaged), and snively.  You see it in school.  This sort of stuff doesn't bother a lot of my friends who studied other things and work in other fields, especially those that concern themselves with facts and arriving at quick decisions.  And especially if they are urban.  Are literacy rates and SAT scores lower in Mississippi than they are in Minnesota?  Yes.  Probably read that in USA Today.  Political correctness is a cancer.  It gives people something to do and get riled up about.  It's a bandage of sorts.  It solves nothing.  People got along just about the same before it came into vogue.

Jan 21, 14 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

i'm not talking about political correctness at all, observant. i'm talking about boorishness.

you're right that i don't own the place. i was just one of many that made it a great place for non-main-room discussions about life in general - maybe sort of specific to an architecture-related life. discussions in which we all took part and which we enjoyed. 

discussions which have now been muscled out of the way by your overbearing bloviations. it's tempting to leave TC to you and see how long it continues without the rest of us...  

i sort of expect that it would stay on the front page!

Jan 21, 14 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
observant

The article I posted and comments about the Super Bowl are just as current as comments about the unpredictable weather these days.  No one complains about those, and they are not at all connected to "architecture-related life," as you say.  Your complaint is more about bad chemistry between some people here.

Jan 21, 14 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Jan 21, 14 2:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: