Archinect
anchor

What is the dress code in your office?

JLC-1

jeans, shirt, shoes is basic, add beanie, gloves, and jacket in winter.

summer is shorts, t-shirt and sandals.

Dec 9, 15 11:17 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sandals?

eugh, gross.

Dec 9, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Zaina

if you're not a good looking person or too good looking, it isn't okay not to wear a suite otherwise clients will  >>>>.......> 

just my opinion :p

Dec 9, 15 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

if you're not a good looking person or too good looking, it isn't okay not to wear a suite otherwise clients will

Holy freaking negatives!

Dec 9, 15 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

haha, gross....but you don't have a problem seeing women toes right?

Dec 9, 15 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I'd say the same about open toe shoes regardless of the gender.

Dec 9, 15 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
Zaina

hey Bench.. I found your brother ..

so cute 

Dec 9, 15 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

oh, sorry, didn't know it was fetish thing.

Dec 9, 15 12:56 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Toe fetish? maybe that should be my new thing.

Dec 10, 15 4:13 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
New firm, new attire; we're partial to elephant banana hammock.
Feb 17, 16 10:19 am  · 
 · 

I'm having my interns dress like this now:

Feb 17, 16 10:23 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

The hottest trends in architectural office fashions for 2016 can be summarized in one word:

Codpiece.

Feb 17, 16 10:28 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

^^^^^ This is why I wish Archinect had a "like" button.

Feb 17, 16 11:36 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

Isn't codpiece really two words, if we're being honest?

Feb 17, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

So, Miles, which one makes the coffee?

(I know, I know: who cares?)

Feb 17, 16 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

To Donna's point earlier, I do rock plenty of visible, decorative scarification.  I don't own a suit.

Firm is 20ish super laid-back people. Owners wear suit and tie, that's it.  No flip flops or shorts, otherwise be clean. T-shirts not encouraged but nobody really cares if you're going to site and want to be more comfortable and not ruin good clothes.

Feb 17, 16 8:43 pm  · 
 · 

Miles,

WTF ????

There is obviously something f---ing wrong with...... I don't know where to start on this one.

Feb 17, 16 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I guess it's a compound word. 

Anyone else find pants/ shirt/ shoes they like that fit well and just buy every color/ pair they have? 

I have like 4 pairs of the exact same grey chinos, 4 identical blazers in different fabrics, probably a dozen identical t-shirts in different colors, and probably a dozen identical button-downs in different patterns. Mix and match.

Feb 17, 16 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
MinimalCrazy

One of the offices I worked at, you could wear whatever you want. (Large Corporate office of 500+ people but didnt feel corporate). People came in ripped jeans, T-Shirts, as long as you get the job done. Only the Boss and associate ever wore formal attire. The architects had a closet where they would change into formal clothes whenever a client ever showed up... My favorite outfit was running shoes and shorts + tshirt. My coworkers and I went to the gym after :D

Feb 19, 16 5:11 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

New office is whatever you want so usually jeans, black nikes and a shirt.

Feb 19, 16 6:16 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

archanonymous, I hear ya. I have maybe two dozen dress shirts and are all the same model, just different colours.

My office's dress code (business casual I guess) has dwindled down to "dirty white running shoes and unpressed khakis with cheap golf shirt" over the last 2 years or so. I wonder who won't be at any of those big client meetings... damn college kids.

Feb 19, 16 7:08 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

tailored shirts make it look like i have been to the gym, so i only wear tailored shirts. the shirts cost more than my jeans, shoes, and belt combined (solid square buckel, connection hidden). socks are also funky and expensive, easier to match but also a subtlety some clients appreciate, especially gay men (always asking - where did you get those socks)

Feb 19, 16 7:18 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Olaf my socks are almost just as expensive as my shirts. Always funky socks complete with funky cuff-links and no breast pocket in sight.

Feb 19, 16 7:22 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

there is this English brand of custom shoes that go for about a $1000 but if you purchase a rejected pair or a once worn by millionaire you can get them for like $250 (looking into it, but can never remember th name).............on special occasions it the tailored jacket with immaculate material selection and combination. since the pocket has custom insignia, as a joke i labeled after my company with issue number "01", the jacket cost 3 times more than my first car - a 1981 Audi 5000 Diesel

Feb 19, 16 7:24 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

cuff-links. havent approached that bit, what so you recommend? that is a subtle point that must be addressed. an older architect often wears AIA symbol cuff links, I find that a it much

Feb 19, 16 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I normally buy my cuff-links from Etsy.  Plenty of options ranging from playful to regular... currently wearing dual green and white 2x2 lego tiles links. My wife shops the antique stores for some too and one of my favorites is a simple circle stamped through 1/4" thick piece of leather.

I still have to raid my grandfather's link collection. I am told there are some very old ones with pearls that would fit right in with mime.

I have a harder time finding french-cuff shirts though.

Feb 19, 16 7:31 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

also for the shirt collars - stainless steel collar stays. used to wear with magnets but i would often loose the magnets although it was always an impreasive feat to have buttoned collars without buttons. a high-tech feature fun explaining as an architect. you can get custom etched stainless collar stays, but ita a bit coat prohibitive. ........my tailor told me, and if you are into 3D prototyping this might be work it, for your cuffs on tailored shirts you can take a vector based drawing (could be your signature) and sew it into your cuffs......i go minimal, i have a lower case "m" for company name but sometimes I suggest it means "money" or "madness"

Feb 19, 16 7:32 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

nice source, your grandfathers stash....ship Bjarke the lego ones, ha....ok will task my wife with the ebay cuff link. wondering if clients notice if style or type is applicable to project?

Feb 19, 16 7:34 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Olaf are you talking about Church's?

http://www.church-footwear.com/uk/en

The store is next to my office.

Feb 19, 16 8:11 am  · 
 · 

Olaf is talking about Bruno Magli.

You know, O.J.'s shoes.

Feb 19, 16 9:07 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

archiwut that sounds right. def. a word with a C

Feb 19, 16 10:07 am  · 
 · 

un-official office dress code:

work day: no specific standard, default to societal norms

client meeting: dress like someone who can be trusted with clients money

city meeting: dress like someone who looks like they know what they are doing

site meeting: either look like an architect, or look like you are not an architect, depending on what sort of conversations you want to listen in on.

context is LA, so all of the above might be covered by dark jeans and a t-shirt or an untucked button down shirt. bonus for fancy color socks and cool shoes or sneakers.

no suits, no ties

Feb 19, 16 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just from personal experience, think you are kidding yourself if you think that your personal appearance doesn’t effect someone’s impression of you or the gravity of interactions…in business (work) you are either buying or selling and I never met any architects that were buying anything….one needs to sell themselves before anybody is going to buy what you are selling…even a simple idea…what else does anybody have to go on? I’ve always subscribed to – if you don’t care, then I’m not going to care either.

Feb 19, 16 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

forgot items from OP:

office size: me.

Feb 19, 16 8:47 pm  · 
 · 

I worked in an office where we could wear shorts and flip flops, just no t-shirts, go figure

Sep 2, 16 4:37 pm  · 
 · 
ketherinjonsson

in my opinion, business casual means slacks, button-up, maybe sport-coat. I trust the most ideal approach to decide fitting wear for the office is to perceive what every other person is wearing. There is nothing amiss with being over-dressed for your first day.

My High Button Vest Look

Mar 1, 17 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Medians

The east coast everyone looks like they buy cheap suits from Jos A Bank and JC Penny - west coast is relaxed, clean jeans and a nice tee...

Mar 1, 17 10:08 am  · 
 · 
tduds's comment has been hidden
tduds

Mar 1, 17 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Nice ironed dress shirt and dress pants c/w slick shoes and cufflinks if required. No tie.

Some people wear dirty sneakers and jeans in the office and guess who does not often leave to attend client meetings? Those guys. Enjoy drafting all day in your corner jumping from project to project as needed.  I'll stick to project & client management.

Mar 1, 17 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

tduds, that cartoon made my day.

Also, I just noticed that I'm the OP.  Cool!  Memory regained!

Mar 1, 17 1:43 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I went to a development meeting where everyone was barefoot with their feet in a mountain creek. I always make sure my toes look nice just in case.

Mar 1, 17 8:11 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

We only pay attention to building codes, dressing is something you put on salad.

Mar 2, 17 1:01 am  · 
 · 
tcarchitect1986

Small urban residential firm, open studio in a converted warehouse, 7 people total, everybody wears jeans and usually a button-down or pull over shirt. A couple guys get away with wearing t-shirts. There is no dress code, the only thing I was explicitly told not to wear is sneakers.

Mar 2, 17 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
whistler

Generally heavy sweaters and lot of puffy coats and fleece in the winter. Shorts, sandals, t shirts in the summer and everything in between.  More concerned about dressing for the weather than for success or show.

PS Corb's leg scar was from a swimming accident, where he got too close to a boat's propeller.  

May 9, 17 12:08 am  · 
 · 
carryhaddis
  • jeans and some sweater, t-shirt or shirt
  • none
  • large office
Jun 22, 17 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

thong and flip flops 

Jan 15, 18 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
wynne1architect@gmail.com

Silk smoking jacket, and slippers.

Jan 16, 18 10:11 am  · 
 · 
cipyboy

I passionately disdain this... but I may be wearing these around 15 years from now who knows...

Dec 3, 18 11:41 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Apr 29, 20 7:36 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

nice shoes. Classic.

Apr 29, 20 7:46 am  · 
 · 

The Chucks are cloth and will absorb shit man!

Apr 29, 20 8:16 am  · 
1  · 
Chad Miller

Then don't shit on yourself.

Apr 29, 20 11:21 am  · 
 · 
proto

esp if that's a vapour impermeable membrane

Apr 29, 20 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

don't get high on your own supply

Apr 29, 20 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

air or vapor barrier proto? or both...good one chad, but according to the toilet paper rumor, you may be shitting yourself a lot, or just need toilet paper to wrap your hand to open doors (seems logical).

Apr 29, 20 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

wait, vapor or vapour?

Apr 29, 20 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

V’pr

Apr 29, 20 6:43 pm  · 
 · 

I see what you did there archanymous....and what about these vapors

Apr 29, 20 7:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: