Archinect
anchor

Subtle pleasant sensations

the tight feeling of the cover, that little bit of resistance, when you open a brand-new hardcover book that you just brought home.

(even more delicious when you settle in to start reading as soon as you get it home, having come straight from the bookstore.)

Mar 4, 06 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

The way good music fills the house when no one else is home.

Mar 4, 06 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
e909

maybe not so subtle.
stretching. especially nonsubtle is the feeling of stretching after 'using that rarely used muscle the day before'
realizing i'm falling asleep, exactly as slipping into sleep.
getting in sync (groove).
feeling the road irregularity exactly when i expected the tire to rollover the irregularity. (feedback)

pomegranate seeds[/i]? arils, the juicy part? http://www.google.com/search?q=pomegranate+hypanthium+aril

Mar 5, 06 6:01 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

liberty bell, that's excellent. i could definitely use some ground therapy myself. last time i can really remember doing it was at the asplund/lewerentz designed cemetary near stockholm. it was spring and the ground was still soft (without being wet) from an earlier rain. the grass was quite tall and possibly hadn't been cut yet that year and stretching out in it left me feeling like i was literally hiding below the wind on an otherwise breezy day. very comfortable, i would have been content with spending eternity there (a good quality for a cemetary, no?)

a few more of my favorites:

...opening the windows for the first time after winter and welcoming all the fresh air back in. i also like hearing the street noise of the neighborhood again. (i'm really excited about this one right now because it should be here sometime in the next few weeks)

...in fact, i think just about anything seasonal is one of life's pleasures whether it's as dramatic as the first spring thunderstorm unleashing nature power as cold and warm air meet...or whether it is as simple & manufactured as one of mcdonald's shamrock shakes (available for a limited time only ever st. pat's day)

...shaving after letting it go for a few days (possibly the only thing i enjoy about monday morning)

Mar 5, 06 10:45 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

urban_bunker, don't know if you realized it, but that very annoying squeaking noise during the sigur rós when they were trying to play the harmonium was apparently from the joel concert upstairs...otherwise, sigur rós = pleasant sensation

Mar 5, 06 10:53 am  · 
 · 

The first time I read, "...but the mountain lion signs keep my mother worried."

Mar 5, 06 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Loud Regga music in the Car! Screaming at ya...

Mar 5, 06 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ooooo snooker that loud reggae reminds me of a particular moment: LA, Me and a friend, loud reggae in his car, last day of first year of MArch I, on our way to a party in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday. We were stuck in traffic with not a care in the world.

Shit I would pay $1000 to relive that moment.

Mar 5, 06 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Garpike....I think I could do that for you....put you in my 1982 Mercury Grand Marquis...nick named Taj cause he is White...with a red velvet interior...and make the speakers woof...tis a cruising ride if I must say and with only 40,000 miles smooth as silk on the road. You fork over da bill an Taj is there...

Mar 5, 06 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Hmmmm....

Mar 5, 06 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

exhaust pipes that go wooooo!

Mar 5, 06 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Garpike...tis Taj....to the "T" People see ya coming and get out of the way.

Mar 5, 06 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Garpike these guys are not subtle pleasant sensations but they are sensational: Two brothers at the Lake:

Mar 5, 06 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

cat w/ paper wad
a mixed cd from a friend
a letter from a friend in between the bills and credit card approvals

Mar 5, 06 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I love walking by a young family of 3, noticing how beautiful the child is, and sharing eye contact and a smile with the innocent little guy/girl.
not physical, but a sensation nonetheless.

Mar 5, 06 10:22 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

maybe this is too obvious, but a hug from a friend. I'm a big hugger and some of my friends aren't but hugging is like our universal language and it just makes me warm and fuzzy every time. Also I'm easily excitable and they know when my face lights up after seeing them for the first time in a while, the hug that comes next is non-negotiable. :-)

Mar 6, 06 12:09 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

The two dimples on a very nice arch.

Mar 6, 06 12:16 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

hug....goood...

Mar 6, 06 12:19 am  · 
 · 
MysteryMan

What're you guys doing up so early? Or is it only early here (06:21)?

Mar 6, 06 12:21 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

after this weekend:

- making a 100 yard arching turn in 4 feet of powder
- the blur of trees flying by on a run through the glades
- pure silence in snow

Mar 6, 06 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK WonderK

Mar 6, 06 4:42 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

what!? I am a subtle pleasant sensation!?

Sweet!

dammson gets a hug.

Mar 6, 06 4:47 pm  · 
 · 
dia

Watching sugar crystals dissolve as I pour in my coffee.

Strange and positive feelings/desires and memories that are triggered by something unannounced and affect and inspire your physiology and state of mind.

Seeing my baby boy before I go to bed and chuckling at the odd sleeping positions that he gets into, before I straighten him up and tuck him in.

The great idea that turns your stomach to jelly.

When I perfectly cook pasta.

The reality that I can change everything at any time is enlightening and sublime.

Mar 6, 06 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Minor acts of DNA vandalism, like flicking a bogey onto someone's ceiling knowing it will be there for years, or marking one's territory (outside) like cats do.

Picking off the small spherical bits of fabric that form on wooly jumpers and office chairs.

Not about sex, but the morning after. Pedalling down the street, or standing on the train platform, heart beating with the certainty of a whale. Knowing, yeah...

Mar 6, 06 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
adso

That feeling, all too rare, when I get out of a really really amazing movie and stand on the sidewalk in front of the theater, eyes blinking in the sunlight, my brain still caught in the narrative world and I don't quite know who I am or what I am going to do next.

Mar 9, 06 10:19 am  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

this thread has gone so well, thanks all 1)for not letting it devolve 2) for the most part keeping true to the 'subtle'.

- starting a thread that connects with people.

Mar 9, 06 11:22 am  · 
 · 
job job

random note - i passed by a building recently [23 Brook Street, Mayfair, W1] and saw a blue plaque on the building where Jimi Hendrix lived and died - stopped me dead in my tracks. so much more cache than a hollywood star. Can I get an AMEN?

Mar 9, 06 11:33 am  · 
 · 
job job

edit* that's cachet
rhymes with dummay

Mar 9, 06 11:36 am  · 
 · 
adso

That crunch crunch crunch of walking through snow.

Grew up on a farm. Occasionally, while walking through the city, I'll catch a whiff of this strange mixture of dust and diesel- smells just like a tractor, and I'll get this flood of memories completely incongruous to environment.

Love this thread, pure phenomenology. Should be one of the questions on the architecture exam.

Mar 9, 06 11:47 am  · 
 · 
snooker

snowi: i recall one of those when I was outside of London. We were going to go look at a Castle, but we ran into a problem because we were headed back to Heathrow and were taking a bus with our bagage, figuring we could stash our lbags at the service desk. As my wife had done it once before. But they had changed there policy and
we couldn't get into the place so we had to catch another bus which was a bummer but while attempting to find a bus stop we came across one of those blue plaques...which said home of Christopher Wrenn. It was a great moment, and waiting for the bus was not so bad.

Mar 9, 06 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

finding a banksy

Mar 9, 06 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
archaalto

grrrrrr...

here

Mar 9, 06 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
e909

vado
"He's Got the Whole World in His Hands, He's Got the Whole World in His Hands, He's Got the Whole World in His Hands."

Mar 13, 06 2:09 am  · 
 · 
e909

a nude hug. oh. that's not so subtle

Mar 13, 06 2:10 am  · 
 · 
wood_

watching my glasses unfog after a long sip of hot coffee.

running my fingers through grains of rice.

being able to make someone genuinely smile

Mar 13, 06 5:51 am  · 
 · 
hibz

cheering someone up.

Mar 13, 06 6:37 am  · 
 · 
Barrett

feeling cold air while in a hot shower, that little bit that sneaks around the shower curtain

Mar 13, 06 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
zahand

-smell of a newly installed windows ... makes u forget what it will become for a day.
-taste of weed tar at the tip of your pipe. (early in the season)
-when you notice your cacti are growing... ah that fresh green

Mar 13, 06 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

tying a tie perfectly in the morning on the first try.

Mar 13, 06 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

Reading Marlins blog, man, that guy can write, everything just flows seamlessly.

Mar 13, 06 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
3dGraffiti

-Stopping the gas pump on an even dollar amount.
-Taking off your snowboard boots.
-Picking the traffic lane that moves.

Mar 13, 06 4:02 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

The click of SPD bicycle pedals as you step into them

wild animals seeing you, and carrying on with what they were doing

bespoke clothing

Mar 13, 06 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Taking a long drink of water after eating a few cookies.

Mar 13, 06 10:16 pm  · 
 · 
upside

changing lanes without hitting the cats eyes

rain when your swimming

Mar 13, 06 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

the soapy smell of bradford pear trees blooming > means spring!

a good architectural 'moment' in an otherwise crappy project.

Mar 17, 06 7:22 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

can i add a few now and later?

- the first time my wife kissed me, it nearly melted me
- the morning after newly fallen snow and the sun is just rising in the sky, simply beautiful
- i love having my head scratched by my wife, the tension just oozes away
- those moments of epiphany just after sex, when an idea you've been struggling with, suddenly makes sense
- i too love the smell of a good pot of coffee, but don't like the taste
- i love the smell of newly fallen rain in the summer

Mar 17, 06 7:47 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

dont know abt subtle..but this most certainly gave me a pleasant buzz.

Mar 17, 06 9:35 am  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

cutting the "accepted to grad schools thread" out of my life and just letting the chips fall where they may

Mar 17, 06 1:24 pm  · 
 · 
SuperHeavy

having your turn signal sync perfectly with the vehicle ahead of you through an entire stop-light.

Mar 20, 06 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Visiting Thread Central and being reminded of lovely flowers by several very clever friends.....

May 1, 06 9:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: