anchor

Thread Central

Not sure where to put this so here it goes:

An Easy Analogy About Our Planet

Happy New Year!

Dec 30, 13 5:57 pm  · 
 · 

hey TC!

I have had an unexpectedly productive end of the year! hope everyone has a fun/safe time tomorrow! Looking forward to 2014...

Dec 30, 13 10:10 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Also had a very productive day since no one else was in the office - I went through my coworkers e-mails and sent back all unanswered submittals with revise and resubmit and a single note that said "requires gerbil."  

I'm sure I'll regret this next week.

Dec 30, 13 11:09 pm  · 
 · 

heh. goodnight

Dec 30, 13 11:39 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Last year my resolution was to read a chapter a day in a book (any book) and this year it is to read two books a week. This is the pace that I ended the year at so twont be too bad. Anyone care to join my literacy resolution?

Celebrating the new year with snowboarding and hot springs later this week! I rented a little house in the mountains that has an outdoor room with a fireplace. Some realtor's vacation home. 

Dec 31, 13 6:50 am  · 
 · 

Great news!  I just find out that "cats are the best reptilian detectors and reptilian busters known to mankind."

I now bles this thread with some kittens pictures.

Dec 31, 13 9:41 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Toaster, once a senior and very talented architect told me to always send back Submittals before they were due, even if you didn't finish them, revise and resubmit, so it looks like you are on top of your game.

I also like to bitch out the contractor early for stupid questions. Makes the rest of CA go smoother.
Dec 31, 13 11:26 am  · 
 · 

I recently visited a house some friends are flipping.  They made so many bad design decisions - or not so much bad as just not taking advantage of what the house already had going for it - that it made me sad.  I can confidently say I'm good at home remodel work, really good at it.  I miss it, in many ways. That thread on design fees is just making me miss it more.

Dec 31, 13 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, the house I live in is the sad product of a poor flipper. I just painted the peach-colored trim in my hall, after hating it for 10 years, and noticed on every door frame, where the trim meets the base trim, the right side goes straight to the floor, the base and 1/4 round stopping at the edge of the trim. But on the left side? The 1/4 round comes across the front of the trim, and is then cut at a 45 leading into the doorway. At first, I thought, oh they tried to do it correctly, but since they didn't remove the trim when they installed the laminate wood floor, it was too difficult to trim the floor to fit the door trim. Fine. But they attempted it again on all 6 doors! Crazy.
Dec 31, 13 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Happy New Year to all you
Archinectors!  Rock on in 2014!  More Regga!

Dec 31, 13 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Happy New Year all.  I had a lovely visit and drinks with my former partner/still best friend this evening, but then they went home to bed and we are staying up with the ten-year-old to let him watch the ball drop.  Nice to spend New Year's with old friends, the ones you know will be with you for a long time to come.  As I feel about many of you, 'nectors! 

Dec 31, 13 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

happy new year Donna! and everyone else too. We have crazy japanese tradition of pop-stars and enka from 7 to midnight and so we watched that. everyone has something to love and to hate (mostly hate), but its fun anyway.

Jan 1, 14 2:28 am  · 
 · 
The American tradition is to shoot guns in the air. Good night to stay inside.
Jan 1, 14 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I thought that was a Mexican tradition. Crazy to think it happens up your way too, Donna.

And we watched The Magnificent Seven with Abram, and let him watch the ball drop at 11. Thank god he doesn't know about time zones! I'm getting too old for these late hours.
Jan 1, 14 9:53 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Happy nude year archinectors! Watch out in the locker room and don't be bitter about the profession. Gonna make us ALL some serious Gs this year!
Jan 1, 14 9:54 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

shooting off guns? - I'm pretty sure that's very specific to the southern midwest.

Jan 1, 14 10:10 am  · 
 · 

gruen, that is depressingly optimistic.

Jan 1, 14 10:18 am  · 
 · 
gruen

2014 begins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxlzX52-Ajw

Jan 1, 14 10:51 am  · 
 · 
toast, you mean specific to the southern midwest plainar northern Pacific desert bi-coastal regions, plus Alaska? I agree.
Jan 1, 14 11:28 am  · 
 · 
observant

^  That is a mouthful.  It's easier this way.  Look at those USA Today short cover blurbs that tell you where SAT scores are lowest, teenage pregnancies are highest, illiteracy is highest, domestic violence is highest, and number of registered cars that don't run are highest.  That would be places like MS, LA, AR, OK, and NV.  That is some serious NRA territory, among others. (And then, when USA Today runs those same mini stats for where test scores are highest and everything is hunky dory, it's always New England and the Upper Midwest, meaning MN and WI, though MN I can do without).

Jan 1, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I didn't realize people shot off guns in celebration until I moved to St. Louis.  and I grew up in Detroit.  People in Detroit tend to use guns for their intended purpose.  You don't waste bullets like that.  And it's certainly not a thing in the northeast.

Jan 1, 14 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
That's funny. People that shoot off guns in celebration don't listen to npr. Ha!
Jan 1, 14 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

NPR = National Propaganda Radio

Jan 1, 14 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Ha good point, Sarah!

Four inches of snow here. So beautiful.
Jan 2, 14 6:16 am  · 
 · 

Ugh. 1/2" here and 5-10 more coming. No thanks. 

Jan 2, 14 10:09 am  · 
 · 

Mmmmm. Bacon that only looks radioactive.

Jan 2, 14 10:14 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Snopocolyopse 1 whopping inch. Shot off my AK in celebration but the fuc*in furrin' made piece-o-mudderfudders-whopper jammed so I went for my back up piece.
Jan 2, 14 10:20 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

We should perhaps discourage Quondam and t a m m u z from posting in the same thread together lest a singularity form.

Jan 2, 14 10:56 am  · 
 · 

Pete, I like you!

That snow was beautiful until I found myself in my Miata stuck spinning in place on a slight hill facing into oncoming traffic.  Apparently the City decided not to bother plowing. What a clusterfuck.  Oops, my 2014 resolution was to stop swearing so damn much.

Jan 2, 14 12:06 pm  · 
 · 
observant

My New Year's resolution, among others, is to not call my northern buddy t a m m u z mercurial.

Jan 2, 14 12:33 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

my new year's resolution is to abandon my new year's resolution by february

Jan 2, 14 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

My new year resolution was to not make a resolution until January 6.  This way I can make it thru another blissful weekend.

Jan 2, 14 1:06 pm  · 
 · 

SneakyPete, better there than here. And as far as I'm concerned those threads are a black hole.

Jan 2, 14 1:11 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I think last year was the first year I made a resolution: to sit up straighter. I failed. I'm going back to not making one.

Donna, you still drive that old thing?! In the winter?!!!
Jan 2, 14 5:42 pm  · 
 · 

We had boots deep snow when we arrived at the in-laws for new year break, and now its all melted away and the back yard is green (moss, not grass). Can't recall being here for the winter and feeling like spring before. We are at the base of the Japan Alps which usually means winter is intense...global weird-ing i suppose.

On upside am getting a tonne of work done over the holiday. Ridiculous that I should be pleased about that, but I am.

Jan 2, 14 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Threatened by a Foot of Snow, blowing winds, and  below zero temps.   Going to go crawl under my monkey and stay warm.... Night All!

Jan 2, 14 7:37 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I like big snow storms - you go out and buy ALL THE BREAD, EGGS, AND MILK and then sit at home the next 24 hours gorging yourself on french toast.

Jan 2, 14 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Already hit the liquor store. But dang it forgot the bread n eggs
Jan 2, 14 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah this is a newer Miata that I bought from my dad. 2006, really a great driving experience but NOT for snow.
Jan 2, 14 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

gruen....me two...lol... to many beers!  Ya Two Beers do me in! of to la la land!

Jan 2, 14 10:40 pm  · 
 · 

No posting while intoxicated, please. 

Jan 2, 14 10:50 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I'm pretty sure the GC was drunk today - they forwarded me a "division 44 submittal" that was a scan of their ass.  Does not bode well for this project.

Jan 2, 14 11:16 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
I'm watching the Eames documentary on PBS's America Masters, after being suggested by an Archinector, and I'm already blown away by the idea of slotted business cards in the opening credits. Cards you can slide together to build something?! Yes, please!
Jan 3, 14 10:13 am  · 
 · 

I tried to follow that link Sarah and its not available outside of america. bloody stupid copyright laws.  looks super interesting.

Apparently my home town back in canada was recently colder than the north pole. My mum thought that was pretty funny.

back to Tokyo today. Looking forward to riding my bike for groceries again.

Jan 3, 14 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
It's currently colder in Winnipeg than it is in Mars where the rover is! Suddenly I'm glad I'm *not* one of the winning teams for the Forks Warming Huts competition!

That interview with Sarah Whiting makes me excited for architecture education.
Jan 3, 14 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

It is cold here this evening and will be even colder by morning, while in Rio  fire sprinkler systems have been set off by the intense heat   126 degrees today.

Jan 3, 14 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

can you spoof the country with an anonymous proxy or something like that will?  you shouldn't have to suffer due to inappropriate legislation

Jan 3, 14 8:01 pm  · 
 · 
observant

while in Rio  fire sprinkler systems have been set off by the intense heat  126 degrees today.

Measured heat or "felt" heat?  I don't even want to imagine that, coupled with their humidity.  One would think major thunderstorms would be rolling through to cool the place down, like it does in and around Miami.

Jan 3, 14 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

ob

I'm sure they are awaiting the hot rain.....as I'm  the up tick in temp.  We are hovering around zero and the oil fired furnace is moaning as  it goes ching...ching...ching.

Jan 3, 14 11:07 pm  · 
 · 

winter sucks but one of it's small pleasures is cutting open a citrus fruit and getting that little whif of tropical sensuality.

I've actually got a theroy that one of the things the overlords might be working on is to tilt shift the planet so that the poles are at the equator and melt.  perhaps atlantis is buried under neath awaiting to arise bringing fortht the enlighten beings while flooding out the rest of humanity.  I dont' their full plan, but crazier shit has happened.

Jan 4, 14 9:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: