Archinect
anchor

RFID tags Revolutionary, threatning, or simply the mark of the BEAST

duke19_98

I just read an article about RFID tags and their future implications in July's issue of Wired Magazine. What do you guys think about the possibilities of this technology? Do you think that the public will willing accept it? The article points out advantages such as dynamic pricing, smart shelving systems, speedy checkout and computerized shopping carts. However there are some fears of invasion of privacy when used outside of the retail environment.

anyone know a good resource for more information on the subject?

Jun 28, 04 6:59 pm

is there a link to the article?

Jun 28, 04 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
CIIW
http://slashdot.org/search.pl?query=rfid

their (recent) archives will have tons of info on this topic.

i think RFID tags are the way to go, and the technology is really improving in terms of security, so I vote Yay overall.

Jun 28, 04 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
jitter12

Look up in slashdot the article about the proposal in the UK to install RFID tags in license plates. They say that it is for registration purposes to avoid the mistakes that happen with UPC.

I don't think it would be hard for them to put sensors in the road to track movement. The license plate is max 24" from the road surface, well within range. Then advertisers get a hold of the dynamic database files, and put up "smart billboards" that target you as you pass a certain point in the road. Just the tip of the iceberg, I say.

I guess I'd much prefer these passive, low-power, low-range devices to the stealthy, high powered ones they are sure to design.

However..., give them an inch....

Privacy is a myth.

Jun 29, 04 10:58 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Troll bot aside it's hard to believe that 20 yrs ago people were worried about RFID tech and now it embedded in every credit card.

Jan 7, 24 3:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: