Archinect
anchor

Columbia MSAAD vs UPENN MSDAAD

CWYM

Hello I am an international applicant and I got admission offer from Columbia MSAAD and UPENN MSDAAD for this year. 

I am currently looking having trouble deciding which school to accept the offer from. Both schools and program are very satisfying for me at this point but MSDAAD seems like a better fit for my architectural taste and focus. 

I guess the trouble deciding a school is due to lack of information about two programs in the states. The reputation, how people in the field view thses school, and so on.

Would love to hear advice from anyone with similar experience or any thoughts. Thanks

Apr 9, 24 12:49 pm

How much are you paying for each school?  Go with the least costly option.  

Are you wanting to practice in the US or your home country?  Go with the least costly option that is accredited where you want to practice.  

The reputation of the school isn't worth much. Instead I'd recommend looking at how the schools scored in their accreditation review.  

Good luck.  

Apr 9, 24 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
Chronograph

Does score of their accreditation review affect the purchase value of the degree in the job market? I honestly thought it was you're either accredited or not, not that there are degrees or levels. And is scoring the highest really the "best"? Actually having some trouble finding those reports if you have a rec

Apr 9, 24 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

purchase value? Now that's a good one. There is no purchase value. Take the cheapest accredited degree.

Apr 9, 24 4:17 pm  · 
 · 

In the US, the accreditation score shows YOU how well the school is meeting the minimum requirements set forth by NAAB. Basically, It' shows YOU how well the school will be preparing you to begin your career. You can use this information to determine if a school is worth the cost.

You're rarely going to get a position with a firm simply because of where you went to school.  No matter how prestigious, or well ranked the school may be.  

Here is a link to NAAB's website.  Look around a bit.  

https://www.naab.org/accredita...

Apr 9, 24 4:19 pm  · 
 · 
Chronograph

I used "purchase value' not in the literal sense of using it as a currency lol. I'm saying in terms of the potential mobility and opportunities of a degree that has a higher accreditation score than others. And thanks for the link CM, looked around but I still am only seeing the program details that just saying its accredited and when, not details into how they actually scored. And don't worry NS I'm going cheapest route, paying an extra 3-4k to not study in a middle of nowhere state school though and can be near family and parents who are getting old.

Apr 9, 24 6:30 pm  · 
 · 

You'll typically have to ask the schools to share their evaluations. You can also ask NAAB directly for the evaluations as part of a freedom of information request.

Apr 9, 24 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Chronograph

Ok gotcha. Thanks! I'll look into it. You think the more in line the school is with NAAB, the more practical and applicable the skills are that I'll come away with for real world workplace? I'd imagine one barely passing NAAB accreditation would be more towards the theory/history on the spectrum.

Apr 9, 24 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

chad - I'd disagree there's no value in a school's reputation. completely disagree. the reputation isn't everything but it does have value, even in the US. it definitely opens doors in other countries. again, doesn't limit your ceiling but definitely elevates the floor.

Apr 9, 24 6:37 pm  · 
1  · 

I didn't say that there is no value in a schools reputation. I said: 

1. A schools reputation isn't worth much.
  2.  You're rarely going to get a position with a firm simply because of where you went to school.
Apr 9, 24 6:48 pm  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: