Archinect
anchor

Portfolio Medium for Interviews

flwrs

I'm a young student scheduled to interview in-person for an architectural internship position in a few weeks after only ever interviewing virtually. I would appreciate advice regarding the medium of the portfolio (keep it virtual? print through a service? stapled, booklet, or binder? size and finish? number of copies? is there a professional standard at all?). 

What is your approach to presenting your portfolio, and if you are an employer, what do you like to see interviewees bring to the meeting? Thanks in advance. 

Apr 9, 24 2:32 am
The_Crow

Sending in a pdf is the best option. I think too many people impress the size limit. Just share a Dropbox link and they can download. 

In person you could bring an ipad with a pdf on it, but honestly a printed portfolio goes very far. 

I'm sure many who respond will disagree, but this is just my personal experience/opinion as a mid level architect. 

Apr 9, 24 8:56 am  · 
2  · 
natematt

I would just add one caveat on this. If the size limit is reasonable, then meet the size limit.

If someone sends me a link with a 300mb portfolio in it I’m going to consider that poor judgement and a skill issue regardless of what we require. You should be able to drop a portfolio down to 20mb easily. If a firm is asking for 5mb…. Then maybe break the rules.

Apr 9, 24 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Obligatory warning:  If you're applying to an unpaid internship, run away immediately.

Otherwise, print media for in person and have a few copies in case there are more than one person across the table.  Be prepared to leave one behind and most print houses can do decent paper stock with true lay flat bindings.  You should also consider bringing in drawings from previous work experience or other examples of creative works BUT bonus point if you bring your sketch book.  Extra bonus if you make an effort to take notes during the meeting and given them a glance at some sexy hand drawings on the other pages.  Good conversation starter.

Apr 9, 24 9:27 am  · 
4  · 
JonathanLivingston

The Old Architectural Tease. I used to arrive an hr. early and make a sketch of the office entry door and brand signage. One they will all recognize cause they walk through it multiple times a day. Then take interview notes on the same page. Never say anything about the sketch.

Apr 9, 24 12:48 pm  · 
4  · 
Non Sequitur

I sketched out the coffee shop where I stopped by earlier that day prior to my last interview. Sometimes I'm more than just snark and a pretty face.

Apr 9, 24 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

I hate to break it to you but you're not that pretty Non. ;)

Apr 9, 24 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

I got called pretty today. By a GC too! Well the exact words were "pretty annoying" but I like to focus on the positive.

Apr 9, 24 2:55 pm  · 
3  · 
graphemic

Print always. I get a bit stylish with a spiral binding. Print shops will help you out. 

Agree to the above regarding multiples and something to leave behind.

Apr 9, 24 12:48 pm  · 
3  · 
JonathanLivingston

Digital is a must. Should be sent before the interview. Digital version you can display on a laptop or tablet and a copy on a thumb drive for the interview.  Often when I'm interviewing people we ask them to display their portfolio on the big screen. Physical copies give you more control of how it will be displayed and are a nice touch but not essential IMO.   

Apr 9, 24 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

One must never assume that someone they are visiting has a particular technology set-up, or that it will function properly for you. Carrying a physical copy (even if its just as a back-up) insures that the portfolio will be presented in the meeting.

Don't even count on the prospective employer printing out your portfolio properly.  You have no guarantees that the person printing didn't do your color pages in super muddy B&W or missed a few pages because the printer jammed or whatever.

Apr 9, 24 12:58 pm  · 
2  · 
JonathanLivingston

Totally agree. You control your information, and do not leave your display methods to chance. Backups always. Send it, Bring it on a laptop, AND a thumb drive AND a Physical copy as further back up.

Apr 9, 24 2:15 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

at the infancy of the digital era, before pdf was widespread, I did my portfolio on powerpoint and printed from it. I think physical images were still better than screens or it was the people hiring us that were much older and resistant to novelty? Anyway, last time I applied for a job (16 years ago!)  I carried an 11x17 3 ring binder with old stuff and new stuff, and a lot of construction stuff. there was no screen in the conference room.

Apr 9, 24 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

I don't need to reiterate the importance of being prepared and having print ready.  Loved the idea of teasing a day-of sketch, though I always just relied on my sketchbook and all the beginner jobs I got hired for were ones that at some point in the interview process included a discussion about sketches as part of my design workflow.  These days I'd add a cool hand-sized 3D model if you have good ones.  We've been handing them out to clients as take-homes and they're a huge hit.

Apr 9, 24 2:47 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: