Archinect
anchor

Amateur

HobbyArchitect

Would it be possible to built these houses that I with no architectural education has drawn you think... :-)

https://hobbyarchitect.wixsite...

https://hobbyarchitect.wixsite...

Apr 3, 24 7:56 am
Non Sequitur

April fools was 2 days ago

Apr 3, 24 9:00 am  · 
1  · 
HobbyArchitect

Exactly.

Apr 3, 24 9:00 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

then you're a little late.

Apr 3, 24 9:25 am  · 
 · 
t a z

here we go again...

Apr 3, 24 9:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Maybe try and present something new and original instead of the same daft boxed plans.

Apr 3, 24 9:40 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

hey, there's a round chaise longue! that's original...

Apr 3, 24 10:01 am  · 
midlander

yes. they will look unsophisticated and clumsy but if you're ok with that, nothing here is unbuildable. i see a few things that might not be code compliant and a few others that are incompetent - but all within the range of normal mistakes that happen in single family residential. i hope someday i can build myself a house this big - good luck!

Apr 3, 24 9:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

You're being too generous. This person has a long history of copy/paste other projects and BADLY misrepresenting the designs of the original houses.

Apr 3, 24 10:31 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

"Unsophisticated and clumsy", how...?

Apr 3, 24 10:47 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Had you taken our initial comments seriously the first time you graced us with your "designs", you'd have learned why. Instead, you ignored everything and keep posting the same shit.

Apr 3, 24 11:49 am  · 
 · 
midlander

i'm in a good mood this week. i do recognize the OP - but also these show progress in thinking about the space in 3D and a logical arrangement of spaces vs those a few years back. if OP is indeed an amateur, this represents real learning. These are as good as in-progress early-year student works, which is fine for someone who is self-studying. for HA, if you actually want architects to applaud you for your work, you're going to have to study the art of architecture. this is about as far as self-learning is going to get you.

Apr 3, 24 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Are these your own works or are you back to your old games of presenting the work of architects as your own? 

Apr 3, 24 10:12 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

I always post my own if I say It's my own.

Apr 3, 24 10:48 am  · 
1  · 

Why do you want to know if it's my own or not?

Apr 3, 24 10:50 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

I might be confusing you with someone else with a similar screen name who has posted several designs for comment, then a "gotcha" explaining that the design is really by a famous architect, and that we're all idiots because we pointed out the problems with the design.

Apr 3, 24 11:09 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

That person did not say she made it herself.

Apr 3, 24 11:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Wg, your memory is correct.

Apr 3, 24 11:48 am  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Oh I see, we're still playing games. Cool.

Apr 3, 24 12:06 pm  · 
1  · 

(I'm not playing games, it's your head that is playing with you. If you claim I have lied you should prove it.)

Apr 3, 24 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

It appears that you or someone has deleted past posts so there is no evidence to prove anything. From what I gather, you're a bored housewife who gets a kick out of stirring up trouble here. I don't need more drama in my life, good luck.

Apr 3, 24 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

I have not deleted anything and I don't like to argue, but I understand you don't need more drama in your life. It's probably a hard life you live.

Apr 3, 24 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hobby, Woodguy is busy actually designing real houses (and nice ones too). You're just a hack who's unable to take constructive criticism.

Apr 3, 24 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

HA, let's just say that strokes and Alzheimer's are not fun to deal with.

Apr 3, 24 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

What a bore!

Apr 3, 24 12:48 pm  · 
natematt

no. They have to be at least.... three times bigger than this.

Apr 3, 24 1:30 pm  · 
HobbyArchitect

I have made small houses too, but I think luxury houses is more fun. The smallest is 322 ft².

Apr 3, 24 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Very little, other than the sauna, is luxury in your houses. For fuck sake, look how pitiful those bedrooms are!

Apr 3, 24 4:06 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

What is luxury for you then?

Apr 3, 24 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

decent amount of thought into the design is a good start for me. Luxury is not just the cost of the things inside the box. You've "designed" a dumb box and called it luxury because you don't know any better and included a pool.  We've already told you this before but you're unable to read/learn/listen/adapt... whatever.  It's your hobby.  Just stop being so surprised when professionals call your basic plans boring, unimaginative, devoid of creative thought... etc.

Apr 3, 24 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

I'm not surpriced I just don't understand why it's a dumb box. But whatever, sorry for asking then.

Apr 3, 24 5:19 pm  · 
 · 

It's a dumb box because that's what you think architecture is.

I commend you for thinking about the 3d aspects of your design.  I'd suggest looking at the scale of the spaces next.  

Apr 3, 24 7:09 pm  · 
 · 

Well, this is something.

Apr 3, 24 4:48 pm  · 
1  · 
HobbyArchitect

Is that a negative or positive statement?

Apr 4, 24 12:09 pm  · 
 · 

I think this is the same user who would post other people's work and pass it off as her own.  If I recall she posted really bad 'sketch' elevation and floor plan of a house from a Swedish(?) architect and when she was called out on it she said it was all a test to show we didn't know great architecture.  

Apr 3, 24 6:55 pm  · 
3  · 
t a z

I think we have the RB of whatever this Swedish forum is.

Even just using Google translate the comments are priceless!

Comments on this villa? | Byggahus.se

"Miniature kindergarten"

"Doesn't really look like a home but more like some kind of institution or something. Or possibly furniture store."

Apr 3, 24 7:00 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, it is the same person

Apr 3, 24 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

it’s mies bland der rohe   

Apr 3, 24 6:59 pm  · 
2  · 
Immigrant Developer

SEND ME THE PLANS, ILL GIVE YOU A REASONABLE BID 

Apr 3, 24 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

If anyone knows any other forums about architecture that might be interested in discussing my drawings that would be helpful, I can't find much on Google. Most interesting would be to talk to real architects that is not rude, but other people with constructive criticism is also nice. I understand I can't trust me and is still hurt since the day I fooled you. :-D

Apr 4, 24 11:20 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We are real architects, many of us (present company included) design high-end luxury homes. What you confuse as rudeness is actually constructive criticism. This is how good design evolves and more importantly, break away from the obsession with floor-plan only "design". We explained this to you and gave examples several years ago. This is why we still refer to your drawings as dumb boxes.

p.s. I believe the only person you fooled was Chad (sorry Chad).

Apr 4, 24 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Getting beat up for your design decisions is part of learning how to be an architect. Not learning from criticism results in higher levels of criticism.

Apr 4, 24 12:05 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

Damn, I had written more but I guess I got timed out. Briefly: we have spent our entire careers learning our profession; you are looking for shortcuts. My clients sometimes act similarly; insisting on doing their own schematic designs and then getting upset when I show them all the ways their design is not as good as it could be.

If you're on Facebook, try joining a group called Residential Design Professionals. As a non-pro you may or may not be able to get in. If you post there, you'll get sharp comments but maybe you can learn from them. In any case, you won't have the baggage that you have here.

Apr 4, 24 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Malin, maybe take a class locally...? I believe this was suggested in one of your first threads. Or even get a job drafting for a local designer, architect or engineer to get exposure to what the multivarious issues are in structures. You seem to be engaged/interested enough to put quite a bit of effort into your hobby. Why not pursue it a little more formally?

What you are asking for isn't quick or easy, if useful criticism & education are the goal. This is what we do as a profession. I don't say that because we're venal, but because it takes education, experience and time. It isn't a quick reply if it's to be at all useful to you. We can't explain all the issues at once. We come here for short respites in our day. We're not here constantly.

And finally, part of the issue is that trying to crowd source your education is pretty arrogant and self-centered, while giving plausible deniability to innocent learning & curiosity. Not sure why you keep coming back here with the same style of post -- you certainly don't value this site enough to list it as a Link on your site...just seems like you're here to ruffle feathers, after the various previous efforts.

Apr 4, 24 11:33 am  · 
2  · 
HobbyArchitect

I haven't found any classes that is suitable for me and I did not expect an education on this forum I just thought you could talk about architecture here for fun but I was wrong, sorry.

Apr 4, 24 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We do talk plenty about architecture. We've already explained to you why what you show is not really good design. Why keep beating a dead horse?

Apr 4, 24 11:46 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

You never said why. "Dump box" does not tell me anything. But whatever.

Apr 4, 24 11:51 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Maybe you should have listened to us when you first decided to post on the forum. It's not our job to hold your hand.

Apr 4, 24 11:54 am  · 
 · 

Maybe you should only allow real architects here or just don't comment on idiot posts like mine.

Apr 4, 24 11:53 am  · 
 · 

If we don't respond to your posts how will you get the attention you so desperately need to fill the gaping void in your self esteem?

Apr 4, 24 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

Are you saying you try to boost my self esteem? If so I'm glad I'm not one or your friends. :-)

Apr 4, 24 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

I would never try to boost your self esteem. If I did, where would it go? That gaping void in your personality could never be filled.

Apr 4, 24 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

That's how a real asshole talks.

Apr 4, 24 12:40 pm  · 
 · 

The truth hurts doesn't it? If you don't like it then don't troll.

Apr 4, 24 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Wood Guy, are you seriously telling me this group knows beautiful design? I'm sure they know how to build, but just this cover image looks awful! Even I can do prettier stuff than that. :D

Apr 4, 24 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

I don't think you could do better. Prove me wrong.

Apr 4, 24 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

Are you serious!?! Pretty much ANYONE can do better. But Americans have always had bad taste, it's what they are known for. :D

Apr 4, 24 12:25 pm  · 

I am serious. The work you've done is worse than what you're criticizing.

Apr 4, 24 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

She just assumed your nationality. Haha Lots of us are not American here.

Apr 4, 24 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Malin, you've not shown us a reason to believe that. While I don't like the style of that house, I am sure whoever designed it looked at more than boxes on plan and actually gave a fuck about materials. I'm sure there is a section or 2 as well. Maybe it's because the main picture is not a B&W plan? Is that why you're confused?

Apr 4, 24 1:45 pm  · 
1  · 
Wood Guy

There are thousands of members in the group and it's quite active. Some of the more prolific posters are not what I would consider talented on the design end, but everyone brings something different to the table. I am fairly active there and I know many talented architects who post there; that doesn't mean that we would design something like the cover photo.

Part of being a good designer or architect is understanding that styles other than the one we prefer also have value. For what it is, that cover image is not badly done. I've seen much worse.

I apologize for trying to help; I'll go back to insulting your useless ass as you apparently prefer.

Apr 4, 24 1:54 pm  · 
1  · 

Almosthip - HA (Malin) is stalking me online.

Apr 4, 24 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

Because I clicked on your name on this forum and saw your location? Is it called stalking that you know my real name?

Apr 4, 24 3:31 pm  · 
 · 

Not at all Malin. The OTHER things you've been searching about me is rather 'creepy'.

Apr 4, 24 5:32 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

What other thing have I been searching about you?

Apr 5, 24 1:39 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Hobby Architect if you want to see how a linear "box" house is done well please look up Fletcher House by Architect Glenn Murcutt.   What you are missing in your designs is site context, lighting and the actually person using the home.  Check out the sketches he uses for conveying information about the site, and wind and lighting.

Fletcher House - Glenn Murcott

Apr 4, 24 1:39 pm  · 
 · 

I would also look at James Cutler.

Apr 4, 24 2:00 pm  · 
3  · 
Almosthip

some spectacular homes chad!

Apr 4, 24 3:14 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

In the first link I posted I have text and images about the site and how the sun moves there. Of course I imagen what type of people would be living there aswell.

Apr 4, 24 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

I clicked your first link and failed to see any sketches for site and lighting. Site work is more than a horizontal horizon line

Apr 4, 24 5:17 pm  · 
 · 

I am not againt old fashined design on houses, I like all sorts. I just don't like ugly houses. https://www.pinterest.se/cocon...

Apr 4, 24 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Just because you prefer European, modern, boxy design doesn't mean that other styles are ugly; it means that your design taste is very limited.

I bet you also don't eat a lot of foods because "they taste awful," or wear a wide variety of clothes because "only this design is attractive," or enjoy a variety of music because you consider your preferred genre to be superior. I know the type well. 

Apr 4, 24 3:51 pm  · 
1  · 
HobbyArchitect

Maybe you should read what I wrote one more time: "I am not againt old fashined design on houses". Jesus! Snobs are the worst thing I know, funny you think I am one. You guys are bat shit crazy.

Apr 4, 24 5:02 pm  · 
Non Sequitur

Batshit crazy?  This is batshit crazy:

Apr 4, 24 5:12 pm  · 
1  · 
HobbyArchitect

What's crazy about it?

Apr 5, 24 1:38 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've seen better organized yard sales...

Apr 5, 24 10:04 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

I guess you mean the hobby room should be bigger. Interesting since someone said the houses was too big.

Apr 5, 24 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Most houses are designed and built without architects or architectural training, why do you think you are so special that you can’t do it? What’s stopping you?

Apr 4, 24 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

I can't afford to build a house.

Apr 4, 24 5:01 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Just what are you asking then?

Apr 4, 24 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Also, if you aren't going to listen to any of the advice why ask for it?

Apr 4, 24 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

What people thought of the houses, but I should not have done that, people get upset, so forget about it, sorry for posting.

Apr 5, 24 1:38 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Haha, nobody is upset, just amused and entertaining ourselves at your expense.

Apr 8, 24 9:09 am  · 
1  · 

Shhhh, don't tell her that WG. She'll stop trying to stalk me online.

Apr 8, 24 10:39 am  · 
 · 
J G

F all the haters here I think they look good you do you

Apr 4, 24 6:06 pm  · 
2  · 

Oh hush. The OP has done this several times. She asks for crits of her work then becomes upset with anything anyone says. She's also tried to pass off others work as her own. Users here are onto her - hence the poor responses she's getting now.

I suspect you know this and just want to create some drama.  

Apr 4, 24 6:11 pm  · 
1  · 
HobbyArchitect

Stop lying.

Apr 5, 24 1:36 am  · 
 · 

I'm not lying. You posted plans several times that were copied from other architects. When people called you out on it you said it was all a test to show that we just disliked you and not your work since the architects you copies are 'famous'.

Apr 5, 24 9:58 am  · 
 · 
Wood Guy

Chad, she never explicitly said those designs were her creations, so we're not supposed to hold that against her. Or something like that.

Apr 5, 24 10:07 am  · 
 · 

I'm still going to. She's being dishonest by making misleading statements.

Apr 5, 24 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Chad, I think she thinks this forum is a strange dating app and your one of her targets?

Apr 5, 24 12:49 pm  · 
1  · 

That would be even more sad.

Apr 8, 24 10:38 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

I fooled you. Of course the idea was to make you belive I made it and then you would discover it wasen't me when I posted a image of the real house. You have all the right to think my houses are shit, but stop pretenting I lied to you. You argue like teenage boys.

Apr 5, 24 11:09 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

Fooled - trick or deceive (someone); dupe; conned; misinformed; strung along; bamboozled; teased; snowed; pulled one's leg; fleeced; flimflammed; led on up the garden path.

Apr 5, 24 11:43 am  · 
 · 

You did lie HA. You've posted several 'designs' that were from other architects.  You got called out on the last one and then said it was all a trick when people found out.  

Apr 5, 24 11:45 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

Fool and lie is not the same thing. Do you seiously claim that after I said I'm not an architect I post a image of a real house and said I designed it. That makes no sence what so ever. :D

Apr 5, 24 11:56 am  · 
 · 
Almosthip

You posted a floor plans, don't play innocent here and then wonder why no one here trusts you. You may not have "lied" but you were not honest either.

Apr 5, 24 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

So you don't trust me when I say I have made these two houses?

Apr 5, 24 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Hobby, we all remember when you posted a rough plan, hand drawn on graph paper, and claimed it was yours. Turns out you had just copied another architect's plan but did such a poor job understanding the design that it ended up looking just as amateurish as the rest of your stuff. Again, only Chad was fooled because most of the reg architects here had already dismissed you as hack by then.

Apr 5, 24 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

Now you are lying again. But whatever, good luck with that life style.

Apr 5, 24 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Lifestyle? Oh, you must mean making a living by designing houses. In that case yes, it's a great lifestyle. Good thing you don't depend on your hobby for income because you'd be starving

Apr 5, 24 12:49 pm  · 
 · 

Non - I was fooled by HA. If I recall I gave her tips on improving her graphics and commented on the layout. I knew it was a copy of another persons work however. I just thought HA was doing a graphics exercise and not trying to take credit for the design. Boy was I wrong on that!

Apr 5, 24 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

At least she's not suggesting the use of shipping containers. It's a low bar to clear, but there is that to be positive about.

Apr 5, 24 1:16 pm  · 
 · 
Almosthip

JUST SAY NO TO SHIPPING CONTAINERS AS ARCHITECTURE

Apr 5, 24 1:48 pm  · 
1  ·  1
Jay1122

I think the plans are fine. Typical modern glass box. The bedroom definitely seems too small. It is like college dorm. Program is personal. Although I think a rich person that can afford to build these big modern houses may want gym, library/study room, media/video game room, etc. I may even put in a custom designed Aquarium because why not I am super imaginary loaded. If I remember correctly, all you are doing is just floor plan layouts. My suggestion to you is move forward further with one of the layout. No point in making layouts after layouts.

One easy way for you to move forward is do realistic renderings. You then will consider floor, wall, ceiling finishes. Doors, Stairs, Cabinetry, furniture, plumbing fixtures, etc. All of these will shape the final visual and outcome of your design. Only at this point, it is presentable to public. 

Now if you want to take your hobby even further, consider what kind of structure, walls, roofs you are going to construct. What kind of mechanical system, how to route the mechanical. Electrical requirements. Plumbing routings. Also, Visual is not the only measuring criteria in a house design. Consider Energy efficiency (R values), acoustic performance (STC ratings), cost estimates of the design. 

I seriously doubt you can do those. But I just want you to know, you are only 1/10 in terms of progress in the custom house design. You are not going to impress real professionals with those doodles until you present a full package.

Apr 5, 24 11:19 am  · 
1  · 
HobbyArchitect

As it says in the link I posted:
"Beige/grey stone house with red/orange window frames. Partly inspired by this and this house. The window frames will be in red/orange wood inside as well which creates a warm, cosy felling instead of all white.
I am now working on a detailed drawing of this house with furniture and everything similar to my images below..."

(My idea is to make a house I like, not to impress by being original.)

The idea is that the gym to be part of the hobby room and there is a media room.

But thanks for giving me a small review, it's what the other didn't manage to to. <3

Apr 5, 24 11:59 am  · 
 · 
HobbyArchitect

(PS. I was talking about the second house now, but maybe you were talkning about the first house?)

Apr 5, 24 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Need more doors.

Apr 7, 24 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
luvu

yeah… this is a super duper passivehaus air tightness god. More doors / more doors

Apr 7, 24 8:55 pm  · 
1  · 

To OP:

Learn the concepts of art of architecture such as the following:
1. Juxtaposition of opposites (high/low, large/small, light/dark, etc.)
2. Spatial-Function Relationship and context.
3. Spatial massing in 3d.

You are approaching your simpler boxes which are based on classic mid-20th century era modernism with some examples before WW II.

Houses, typically have a very limited number of rooms compared to much larger buildings like a school building or a multi-tenant type mixed-use commercial building.

Typical average U.S. house is designed around a single-family household for average size families.
Typical function areas (relatively contemporary):
- Great Room "Living Room" (typically a large room as it often combines what was the common Living room+Dining room prior mid-1950s in the U.S.). Sometimes the ceiling is set higher especially when you try to capture the sun or a view and its the primary place you, your friends, and family would be in the house socializing, watching movies, eating, maybe watching a favorite sport on the big TV. 

- Bedrooms (minimum of 1 but typically up to 5 bedrooms. Bedrooms tend to be medium size rooms with one bedroom being the largest of them but most being approximately equal in size but not necessarily equal in size. The large bedroom may have its own adjacent bathroom. Sometimes a larger bathrooms but note: bathrooms aren't generally large rooms in houses. 

- Bathrooms (typically smaller rooms larger than a closet) of 70-100 sq.ft. Note scale in relation to the other rooms. Bedrooms are typically larger than a bathroom.

- Kitchens is typically the size of a medium to large bedroom. Sometimes, there is an adjacent pantry which you might have and it may be up to or around the size of a bathroom or some walk-in closets which can be about the size of a bathroom. Kitchens and associated pantry are typically located for efficient access to the Great Room.

Garage for automobiles are typically large rooms with large doors for obvious reasons. It it usually located for efficient access from the garage to the kitchen/pantry. Minimize the work of taking the groceries from your vehicle and putting them where they need to go without taking a longer path throughout the house.  

These are basic fundamental parameters of a house. There are variations of what you can do, though. There is still room to be creative. Rooms do not have to be all squares and rectangles. So you may have room for some creativity. Besides the rooms, you may have dedicated and architecturally defined egress (the hallway or interior egress path which can be curvilinear or have other dynamics.)

This is what others are alluding to that is accomplished with the art of architecture. Take a look at Frank Lloyd Wright's work and even check out or find a way to get a copy of this book on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Design-...

It can expand your palette and potential all while keeping a Swedish flair and Swedish modernism through out it. 
You may have unique Swedish names to some of the rooms and potentially also a sauna room which you can think of a personal home sauna to being about the size of a large bathroom to maybe a small bedroom. In any case, you would adjust your design to Swedish domesticity culture. How it might be different than the U.S.

Apr 8, 24 9:53 am  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: