Archinect
anchor

How to prep for applying to top level M.Arch programs

EMHS

Hello archinect, 

Hope you guys are doing well. I'm currently a first year, 2nd semester B.Arch student, and am extremely intrested in continuing to a M.Arch right after or a couple years after graduation. But I feel like I need to understand to a greater extent what GSD or GSAAP or MIT or any other masters program students are like. What are their work ethics, do they procrastinate, are they avid readers, do they do their own personal projects, are they conceptual thinkers, what does their work experience look like, how professional are their portfolios? These are some of the questions I've garnered up over time. Im aware all students are different, but I want to better understand the average. I know it might seem early, but I really want to focus on my architectural journey and expand my understanding of architecture. Thank you!

Apr 3, 24 12:26 pm
Non Sequitur

Yes to all of the above.  They also either have spectacular scholarships, very rich parents, or massive soul-crushing student debts.

Apr 3, 24 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
graphemic

I'm curious, why do an M.Arch? It's effectively the equivalent of a B.Arch. You would probably be a better fit for M.Arch II or similar two-year post-professional degree programs. These same institutions offer them, but they aren't M.Arch degrees. These programs are also a bit like department cash cows (no funding) with a wide mix of student "types." As always, it's what you make of it. 

Do some more research into the degree/curriculum/faculty you're interested in before worrying about the students.

Apr 3, 24 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: