Archinect
anchor

Petition to change AIA contracts A&B naming conventions

tauhaus

So, I think we can all agree the most annoying thing about being an architect is the fact that the AIA A-series contracts are for the builders and the B-series contracts for the architects. Enough is enough. Sign the petition and lets bring the A-game back to where it belongs...https://chng.it/k8ryFzkKVy

Apr 2, 24 3:41 pm
Non Sequitur

but builders do more and are more important.

Apr 2, 24 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

eh, not buying it.

Apr 2, 24 4:00 pm  · 

You should. You want the builders contract to be considered first when it comes to litigation. Please do some research on this. Better yet, contact AIA and ask them why they've called out contracts in such a way.

Apr 2, 24 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

"All rise! - Today we'll be prosecuting people in alphabetical order according to the title of their contracts. If your contract begins with a B or later, congratulations!. we probably won't have time to get to you today and all charges will be dropped."

Apr 2, 24 4:17 pm  · 
1  · 

You really need to contact AIA and ask them about this. You clearly don't have an understanding of why the contracts are denoted as such.

Apr 2, 24 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

“The naming convention serves more as an organizational and identification tool rather than a legal distinction with substantive legal consequences” The tiles themselves do not hold any legal weight”

Apr 5, 24 3:41 pm  · 
1  · 

This seems like a waste of time. Why not petition for something that will actually have an impact on the profession?

Also, this petition shows a misunderstanding of legal contract.  I'd suggest you speak to lawyer about this.  You don't want your contract to be considered the 'first' in any type of litigation.  

Apr 2, 24 3:48 pm  · 
2  · 
tauhaus

pay a lawyer $300 an hour to talk about half joking online petition? I'd suggest you rethink how you "waste" your time.

Apr 2, 24 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

I only waste my time here. You on the other hand . . .

Apr 2, 24 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

tauhaus, please take notes and let us know what you find out. thanks.

Apr 2, 24 7:21 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Certainly there are other clouds more deserving of your fist shaking.

Apr 2, 24 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
tauhaus

theres only one cloud over my head at a time. I'll move out from under it. you can stay there and fiddle with your umbrella.

Apr 2, 24 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Petition for lower prices on the AIA documents also!!

Apr 2, 24 7:38 pm  · 
1  · 
tauhaus

“The naming convention serves more as an organizational and identification tool rather than a legal distinction with substantive legal consequences” The tiles themselves do no hold any legal weight”

Apr 2, 24 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Le Courvoisier

We should be the A series because A stands for Architect is certainly a take. 

Apr 3, 24 1:36 am  · 
 · 
tauhaus

Currently the A-series = builder agreements, B-series = architect agreements. However, C-series = consultant agreements, D-series = misc documents, E-series = exhibits, F-series = Facilities & G-series = general admin and mgmt forms. Which of these 2 are not like the others?

Apr 5, 24 3:47 pm  · 
1  · 

Hire a team of lawyers and write up a suite of contracts. These suite of contracts are meant to work together in a particular fashion. As a building designer, it is more of a pain in the rear for me to use the AIA contracts, as I actually have to modify the contract language in important ways so I don't get screwed over by the licensing boards as building designers are not suppose to use AIA contracts as is when their services are referred to as architectural services. Additionally, they are primarily good for U.S. Outside the U.S., things get much more complicated with the varied legal systems that the AIA contracts wasn't built for. So you can run into issues where clauses might be unenforcable in another country while enforceable in the U.S. 

Even then, all contracts should be reviewed by and amended as needed by a lawyer in your state even the AIA. If you in the business of offering architectural services, you should charge a fee up front which also COVERS the cost of legal services necessary. If you can't afford an attorney, then you shouldn't be in business. No business should enter into business without a lawyer as a consultant. Period. This is why the low life low ballers that often fail and also get sued effectively out of business. So there you go. 

There's no sense in trying to change the established contracts because then you need to change it more than just flipping the A and B around. Maybe you change the One letter introductory to something like ARCH for architecture, BUILD for Builders, CONSULTANT for other consultants, BDESIGN (Building Designer as an alternative version of the ARCH for building designers), INTDESIGN (Interior Designer), STRENGR (Structural ENGINEERING), MECHENGR (Mechanical Engineering), ELECTENGR (Electrical Engineering), ELECTRICALC (Electrical Contractors), PLUMBENGR (Plumbing ENGINEERING), MEPENGR (combined mechanical, electrical, plumbing engineering), etc. You get the idea. Then you might as well build a sweet with very good contract lawyers familiar with ALL the state laws for the various idiosyncrasies to draw up this series. This will likely cost some half a billion dollars to draft up all of them in a single go to the standards I am talking about for all the states. AIA took years and evolved its contracts to where it is now. 

Apr 3, 24 6:17 am  · 
 · 
bennyc

I am starting a petition to ban architects from posting on forums

Apr 3, 24 7:17 am  · 
1  · 
tauhaus

and yet here you are

Apr 5, 24 3:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: