Archinect
anchor

Information about '' Being an architect in California ''

architectalina

Hi guys,

I am an architect and I have received a job offer from Souther California starting this summer, and I am currently thinking about it. There are some questions that I would like to ask and learn from people who have previously worked as architects in California or are still working as architects in California.( especially using Revit as a pro )

How to draw at Revit in California?

I have California Building Code books. What parts should I pay attention to in this book? Which pages and sections  are about  the education building code located? Which one of these codes have to definitely know  ?  How can I learn everything about the education building code ?

What types of walls do you use in Revit? I know it varies by project, but I want to know everything about your project drawing rules in Revit.

Do you using Revit's family or creating your own family template ? 

What is it southern California materials and methods of construction  ?

To put it simply , I want to learn  the architectural system in America (plan, wall, roof drawings, etc.),  building code rules and requirements , methods of construction and how to  preparing construction documents in California etc.I've worked as a remote before, but I've never used building codes, so I'd like to get information in terms of assessing the situation.

I would love to meet a lot of people and get opinions from all of you. I'd like to thank everyone who wanted to answer my questions in advance.

Mar 1, 24 1:39 pm
natematt

This is an impossibly broad question to answer. I shouldn’t even try…

You draw Revit like everywhere else in the US.

The materials and methods of construction are similar to everywhere else in the US… (little bit of specificity based on the seismic requirements, climates, and sustainability)

The only reason I am actually responding is that I wanted to throw something out there on the code question. As with most building codes, there are local requirements. California generally uses variations on the California Building Code, which is based on the International Building Code, which is the basis for most codes in the US. The biggest difference in my experience is that they have basically integrated ADA accessibility requirements into the code in chapter 11, and also largely integrated the FGI guidelines for healthcare facilities into chapter 12. Both of these are modified though (accessibility is a bit more strict, and the healthcare design guidelines are slightly less strict in my opinion), so even if you are familiar with those you need to watch out and actually look at the code to make sure you know what you’re doing is correct. 

Mar 1, 24 2:10 pm  · 
1  · 
JLC-1

I think you should ask your new firm to show you one of their revit files to look at and all your questions will be answered.

Mar 1, 24 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Read the CSI MasterSpec and you'll be good to go.

Mar 1, 24 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: