Archinect
anchor

Client offered to pay me in cash...

mookey

My client offered to pay me in cash, but asked for a discount if he does.

Looking for advice on how much of a discount should I offer him, if any?

Thanks!

Feb 28, 24 8:49 pm
luvu

Tax avoidance/ black money or …

Feb 28, 24 9:22 pm  · 
2  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Client expectations are likely that you won’t pay taxes on the income and wants his cut of the savings. I say no. Not a good look. 

Feb 28, 24 10:06 pm  · 
3  · 
bowling_ball

I've only ever traded services for beer - three projects so far. (Before anybody gets upset, they were 3 hours of work each, for brewery patio permits. Not even worth the time to invoice, really.)

Feb 28, 24 10:57 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I also trade services for booze. It's easier that way and it's always for friends and family.

Feb 28, 24 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

In the US, the tax man says trades are still subject to income tax.

Feb 29, 24 5:27 am  · 
 · 

Where do they get the idea that we don't pay taxes on the income? Donald Trump?

Feb 29, 24 6:07 pm  · 
 · 
proto

Does accepting cash actually save you any money?

Are you accepting credit & covering associated transaction fees?

If not, why would you say yes?

Feb 29, 24 10:17 am  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

OP needs to politely run away from this client.  The person probably cheats on their taxes and is offering the OP the opportunity to do the same.  They have revealed themselves to be shady and they may well want to shady in other areas of the project like compliance with zoning and building codes.

A legit discounting scenario would be if the client agrees to pay the fee upfront and the architect benefits from the improved cash flow you get by not having to wait for payment after services are completed.

Feb 29, 24 12:44 pm  · 
3  · 

No discount at all.  The services you provide aren't being reduced and you're still going to pay taxes on this.  As reallynotmyname mentioned - this client is unethical and you shouldn't take any work from them if you value your reputation.  

Feb 29, 24 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
reallynotmyname

At best, the client is uninformed and mistakenly thinks that an architect's business economics are similar to a liquor store or gas station where there are different prices for cash or credit payments.  We're not building in credit card merchant fees into our prices, so we have nothing to discount in that regard.

Feb 29, 24 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I’ve noticed a lot of residential contractors take cash and discount for it.

Feb 29, 24 5:23 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

All our invoices are paid either via cheque or etransfer... and we add the required tax ontop of our fee.  Is anyone accepting payment via credit card or thick brown paper envelopes?  I'd like to see a client come in with a suit-case with 50k in cash just to cover his last month's invoice.

Feb 29, 24 1:56 pm  · 
 · 
reallynotmyname

Back when we still did residential, we would have a very, very small percentage of people pay smaller invoices with cash. We also offered credit card with Square, but we never had any takers. The Square device is now in a  junk drawer somewhere.

Feb 29, 24 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
joseffischer

the recession was a weird time (also just residential). Got into a flow of scheduling invoice receipt days monthly where I'd round up (after reminder emails) a bunch of payments. I'd often roll into the bank by 4 with way more money than a guy in torn jeans and boots should be carrying

Feb 29, 24 2:58 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got paid in cash once. Took me about 2 years to spend it all. :)

Feb 29, 24 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
kjpn

wait what? you charge sales tax??

Feb 29, 24 6:11 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

We have to. 13% in my province to all goods and services and architecture fees count as services. All our proposals are pre-tax number and we add 13% to all invoices.

t'is all good tho because those government monies in part make sure I don't loose my house if ever I need to spend 10mins at the hospital.  Hurray for communist canada.

Feb 29, 24 7:22 pm  · 
1  · 
smaarch

I long ago chose to stay away from this sort of client.
The nature of a practice is you get to set your own terms.
It's your call.
A younger Architect friend called me the other night not sure what to do.
A contractor negotiated a slightly higher fee for him.....and still the fee is fully half of what it should  be.....and demanded a kickback.
Me...I laugh. I stay away from this crap. You are going to pay for it in one form or another.

Feb 29, 24 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
mookey

Thanks everyone for your advice! 

-Mookey

Mar 1, 24 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: