Archinect
anchor

Watercolour renderings

danieledney

Hi, 

I’m a mosaicist and from time to time I’m given architectural plans especially when I’ve been commissioned for, say, a marble floor. 

Im getting on a bit and would am thinking about less physical things I can do with my time. Im very skilled at digital watercolour too. My question is - is it feasible to begin a side hustle as a water colourist for architect plans? 

And would it be a case where the plans would be sent to be just to colour or would I be expected to draw the plans and colour? Is there even a market for this or is it rather niche? 

I’ve spent a lot of time looking at such drawings and I’m very drawn to them and would love to spend sometime practising. Last question - does one have to be a an actual architect to do this type of work? 

Many thanks 

Daniel 

Feb 1, 24 5:02 pm
JLC-1

Not for architects, but for realtors and developers - I would suggest you build up a portfolio taking  some boring floor plan advertising and spruce it up with your watercolor technique - something like this, but better...

I think it would be welcomed after all these years seeing ultra realistic computer renderings everywhere. 

no need to be an architect to do this.

Feb 1, 24 5:10 pm  · 
2  · 
danieledney

JLC - 1 thank you! 

So for realtors and developers… interesting, didn’t think of taht. 

And yes I’ll have to do a better job than the image you posted… it has a post it note feel lol

Thanks again! 
Daniel 

Feb 2, 24 1:49 am  · 
1  · 
atelier nobody

There are also SOME architecture firms that outsource their renderings, but it's not the easiest niche to get into so JLC's advice to target realtors & developers is good.

Feb 23, 24 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
Professional Student

you might find this helpful if you want to try a digital watercolor approach

Feb 23, 24 12:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: