Archinect
anchor

Kitchen gadgets

archiwutm8

I love some quirky kitchen appliances and gadgets.

Recently found out about a German egg cracker for the perfect hard-boiled egg called a eierschalensollbruchstellenverursacher that I'm looking forward to getting soon! 

The other thing is an air-fryer, this thing is a game changer honestly and I'm looking at upgrading to the biggest and best ninja air-fryer there soon.

what whatchamecallit devices do you have or want to get soon?

Jan 15, 24 4:38 pm
Wood Guy

I follow the Alton Brown approach of avoiding gadgets that serve a single purpose, but we did recently get a Chemex coffee maker and a decent quality burr grinder and the quality of our coffee has gone up a notch. We also just discovered that our microwave that we thought broke 8 years ago so we haven't used it just has a broken "quick start" button and works fine. It was fun bragging about not using a microwave, but it is definitely convenient for certain things. 

Jan 15, 24 4:45 pm  · 
4  · 
gwharton

There are a few kitchen gadgets which I find indispensible (I do a lot of cooking, which I enjoy). 

A vacuum-sealer is very handy for storing food, and also pairs with a sous-vide recirculator. I do a lot of sous-vide stuff, so both get used frequently.

An immersion blender is very handy for doing sauces and soups without having to drain pans into a blender or food processor. Highly recommended. I almost never use my standard blender. I use the immersion blender all the time.

A food processor is also useful, though I don't actually use it as much as I originally thought I would. It spends most of its life in a cupboard, but when I need it I REALLY NEED IT. It makes mixing pastry dough and shredding things a snap.

A wifi-enabled multi-lead high-temp thermometer is great for roasts and other stuff. If you do any slow-cooking at all, this is an essential device. At the very least, get a simple digital probe thermometer and USE IT to time the done-ness of your dishes (no more guessing if the steaks are done or to what level).

Invest in a very high-quality set of pans and knives. Worth it if you do much cooking. A 7-quart enameled dutch oven is a critical add. All-Clad makes a great set of non-stick saute pans. A few lids and stainless bowls. Now you're set.

I got an air fryer for Xmas last year. I'm kind of on the fence about it. It's extremely convenient for doing a few specific things (e.g. roasting veggies - especially brussels sprouts), but not so much better at them than conventional methods that it really justifies the large amount of counter space they take up. Air fryers are basically just toaster-ovens with air recirculators. If you have a convection oven, you can already do anything the air fryer can do.

Speaking of, you can now get a microwave which also does convection browning and similar things. Worth it, but not worth trading a currently functioning microwave for. Wait until it breaks.

And my very favorite kitchen/cooking gadget is not a kitchen gadget at all. It's high-tech pellet smoker/grill from Green Mountain Grills. I love that thing so much.

Jan 15, 24 7:40 pm  · 
3  · 
gwharton

Oh, and I forgot another critical kitchen gadget we use all the time: A Kitchenaid stand mixer. Takes up a lot of space, but it pays its rent every week.

Jan 15, 24 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Second the immersion blender, blended soups! I'll add a quality mandolin, and zester are super important.

Jan 15, 24 9:15 pm  · 
3  · 

I love my zester.

Jan 21, 24 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna, is it a microplane? I love their story - woodworking tools that ended up being perfect for zesting. Lol.

Jan 21, 24 7:18 pm  · 
2  · 

Yes! Microplane, and I didn’t know that background!

Jan 22, 24 6:56 am  · 
 · 
mission_critical

Please don’t cook your food in plastic. No matter what temperature. Even bottled water is full of micro plastics.

Jan 26, 24 11:04 pm  · 
 · 
*your name

every kitchen needs a boss!

Jan 21, 24 1:56 pm  · 
1  · 

I cant' see one of these without hearing the ::bong:: noise from cartoon violence.

Jan 21, 24 1:59 pm  · 
1  · 
*your name

haha, the one I keep is all-purpose too.

Jan 21, 24 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I bought the tiny size cast irons and they were immensely useless but brought such joy. The 4" and 6" sizes are excellent though.

Jan 21, 24 7:17 pm  · 
2  · 
archanonymous

The only thing I ever really miss since I sold all my possessions and live in a van down by the river is my immersion blender. 

Kept a nice medium size santoku multipurpose knife which is the only kitchen gadget you actually need. 

And a y-peeler. 

Jan 21, 24 7:15 pm  · 
4  · 
Wood Guy

We have a lot of different knives but a 9" Santoku is my go-to.

Jan 22, 24 10:01 am  · 
 · 

This is actually probably my favorite kitchen gadget. I use it every day, and it’s just a rolled rectangle of stainless steel. So simple, indestructible, and useful.

Jan 22, 24 6:55 am  · 
3  · 
Wood Guy

Do you bake daily or do you use it for other things?

Jan 22, 24 10:00 am  · 
 · 
gwharton

That one looks like it has a sharpened edge, too.

Jan 22, 24 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

When I do bake I use it for cutting the dough. It also chops things like garlic, and I use it whenever I chop a handful or two of stuff then need to scoop it off the cutting board into a sauté pan, for example. I'm somewhat (very, according to my husband) neurotic about scooping up *every last peice* of what I've chopped, so it's really handy. It scrapes the cutting board or counter totally clean!

Jan 22, 24 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Did you make that yourself, Donna? 

Jan 22, 24 6:31 pm  · 
 · 

Nope. Bought it from a school fundraising catalog 16 years ago!

Jan 23, 24 6:10 am  · 
1  · 
citizen

I love it.

Plus, it would make fast work of those mountains of cocaine for those '80s retro parties. Take that, Tony Montana!

Jan 23, 24 1:20 pm  · 
1  · 
Wilma Buttfit

Ok. Gotta get one. For onions and garlic, not cocaine but I’d take some if there was some for me.

Jan 23, 24 3:55 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

.1Pc Stainless Steel Kitchen Spider Strainer Skimmer with Wooden Handle -  Walmart.com

Jan 22, 24 6:29 pm  · 
3  · 

So useful.

Jan 23, 24 6:10 am  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

alright... why? I personally have one and have never used it. But I don't fry things often.

Jan 23, 24 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Draining things, too.

Jan 23, 24 9:18 pm  · 
3  · 

And washing small fruit.

Jan 24, 24 6:24 am  · 
1  · 

... scooping gnocchi out of boiling water when they float to the top

Jan 24, 24 1:45 pm  · 
1  · 
Non Sequitur

I have a similar one I use to scoop out hops post boil when making beer.

Jan 24, 24 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
JonathanLivingston

Interesting. I'm always awkwardly using a colander for these things.

Jan 24, 24 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

To be fair, my version is more like this. We have a set of three in different sizes.

Amazon.com: D Fine Mesh Strainer, Stainless Steel Sieve Sifter with Handle,  Small Metal Strainer for Loose Tea, Juice, Drink, Herbs, Mini Sifter for  Flour, Matcha, Kitchen, Baking, 3-Inch (8x3, Silver): Home &

Jan 24, 24 2:41 pm  · 
3  · 

I wasn't sure I'd like it that much when we got it, but a countertop toaster oven has been really nice. It toasts much better than a dedicated toaster has ever done for me, and doubles up as a small oven for warming, reheating, cooking, small bakes, broiling, etc. when you don't want to use the large oven. Ours has a convection setting as well so we are able to take advantage of that. Our next version when this one breaks will be essentially the same with an air fryer option as well (my in-laws have one that I envy).

The downside is it takes up counter space, but if you get rid of a dedicated toaster it feels like you're not sacrificing that much more space than you were before. 

Jan 23, 24 1:15 pm  · 
4  · 
citizen

^ Yes, this!

Jan 23, 24 1:18 pm  · 
 · 
t a z

Are under cabinet mount toaster ovens not popular any more or are they discontinued?  The B+D spacesaver seems to be the only one on the market anymore if you can find it.

Jan 24, 24 6:33 pm  · 
 · 

I learned to respect their versatility from my mother who always preferred it to turning on a full oven (especially during swampy summers in central FL). They might be a bit cheaper but why even own a single-use pop-up-toaster.

Feb 28, 24 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I got a hand held immersion blender for Christmas. Love this thing! I use it for smoothies. 

Combo air fryer/toaster oven. I use it everyday. 

Those things that hold your corn on the cob so you can eat it. 

Milk frother. 

Jan 23, 24 3:53 pm  · 
1  · 

Love our immersion blender. Don't always need the full Vitamix!

Feb 27, 24 11:57 pm  · 
 · 

Speaking of gnocchi earlier ... I know people just use a fork, but I love me a specific gnocchi board/paddle. I had a bunch of these I picked up nearly 20 years ago to give away. I think I have one or two left that I use for myself. It's been too long since I made any though I'm not sure if they made it through the last move.

KneadEat Rounded Gnocchi Maker Board Paddle, Unique Curved Design for  Handmaking Italian Gnocchi Pasta. Perfect Ridges that Form the Grooves on  the Gnocchi. Easy to Use and Clean. Italian taste party. : Home & Kitchen -  Amazon.com

Jan 24, 24 2:03 pm  · 
3  · 
citizen

So, sell me on gnocchi :o] I love pasta, and have an Italian-American friend who loves Gn. I've tried it and it was fine, but it seems less interesting or tasty to me than noodles and sauce. What should I be trying or ordering to get me on-board?

Jan 24, 24 3:06 pm  · 
1  · 

I'm not a connoisseur or anything, and I've found your experience with them can be highly dependent on good vs bad gnocchi (which is pretty hit or miss in my experience when you order them/buy them*). Good gnocchi tend to be light or airy and have a good mouthfeel, whereas sometimes you get gnocchi that are too dense. They handle thicker sauces well which I tend to enjoy. They are also just fun to make.

*It's also pretty hit or miss when I make them too so YMMV.

Jan 24, 24 3:49 pm  · 
2  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: