Archinect
anchor

Zinc roof and façade

eduards

Hello! I'm a 3rd-year arch student struggling with constructive details lol. I'm having trouble finding reliable websites to search for constructive details (preferably free) and wondered if anyone had any suggestions. Thanks!!

Dec 13, 23 12:17 pm

Depends on the type of roof and facade details you're looking for.  

Try here for basic metal roof and wall panel details:

https://www.holcimelevate.com/...

Dec 13, 23 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

If you are looking for info about architectural zinc, your first stop should probably be VM ZINC.

Dec 13, 23 12:27 pm  · 
1  · 

seconded

Rheinzink is another

Dec 13, 23 4:47 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

You beat me too it. Those are the only two zinc finish manufacturers I've used or seen used by our office.

Nice thing about companies that do coil metal facade and roofing products is that they usually have pretty intensive detail libraries. Though, many of them are limited to the way they describe backing and assume their standard shape trim. But if you're using zinc it's probably best to use standard trim anyway. 

Dec 13, 23 5:59 pm  · 
1  · 
luvu

Off topic a little bit, would love to hear if anyone has direct experience on zinc cladding in hot / tropical climate? It’s not common i know.

Dec 13, 23 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
J G

the biggest concern with a tropical climate is the potential for galvanic corrosion with the humid/salty air increasing the rate of corrosion between the steel core of the zinc coated panel and any different metal fasteners used in the assembly. Galvanic corrosion still confuses me, but I believe the reason zinc can be so long lasting is because the zinc coating over the steel sheet panel "self corrodes" when the steel is exposed to oxygen forming a very long lasting coating.

Dec 20, 23 2:23 pm  · 
1  · 
J G

Salty humid air will make this corrosion process go faster, I think

Dec 20, 23 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

VM Zinc and Rheinzink panels are not coated steel (e.g. terne). They are solid zinc. The bigger issue in wet climates is galvanic reaction between the zinc and non-zinc flashings.

Dec 20, 23 2:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: