Archinect
anchor

CDT Certification - is it worth it?

przemula

Hey there. I passed few AREs and hopefully I'll be done with the rest of them by the end of the year. Some people on forums in the ARE 'sphere' recommended taking the CDT test after AREs (Construction Documents Technologist) from CSI - I'll put link below. Does any of you heard of it, and do you think it's worth it to add these letters to your last name? From a point of view of young professional in a private sector. Seems like the guy who pushes it the most is in some way endorsed by CSI, so I wonder what his true intentions are.

https://www.csiresources.org/c...

Oct 11, 23 6:00 pm
natematt

You're going to be an architect, you have architecture degrees and will have a license... this isn't meaningful to you.

If you were trying to go into drafting with an associate degree or something, sure that would make sense.

If you decide to go into spec writing you might consider getting their CCS certification, but otherwise I don't seem much value. CSI is a nice organization though and they put on a lot of good stuff. 

Oct 12, 23 12:32 pm  · 
 · 

I know several firms that have their junior staff take the CDT course. They pay for it and if they pass they get a bonus. It can be really beneficial for less experienced team members.

Oct 12, 23 1:18 pm  · 
1  · 
natematt

For clarification, I was dismissive that it means much if you have a license, so I was not really talking about JR staff.

Also, the premise of the OP’s post suggests they area asking if the credential has much weight in the industry for someone of their experience, not if it is useful knowledge. Again, I don’t see this meaning much to potential employers if you’re already licensed. But that’s just my experience and opinion.

Dec 15, 23 12:50 pm  · 
 · 

I think everyone involved in the AEC industry should understand the content the CDT covers. It's not about specs, it's not about drafting, it's about project delivery.

I know you're already taking the ARE, but I tell people they should take the CDT before the ARE. It's great prep as it is given in much the same way, but it's an easier test to engage with and content to study, and a great stepping stone to the ARE without all the stress of the ARE. It still overlaps a lot of the ARE content so it's not wasted time or effort. Again, the knowledge it covers is fundamental to anyone involved in the AEC industry. Even if you haven't gotten to the tests more involved in contract administration and construction documents you might consider taking a break from the ARE to take the CDT in preparation for finishing.

Oct 12, 23 10:05 pm  · 
2  · 
SpecLady

Signed up for this forum so I can echo Everyday Architect. I also wish everyone in AEC understood the content the CDT covers. Everyone involved in commercial construction projects should clearly understand the basic rules of project delivery and the importance of specifications as half of the contract documents. Specs and contracts are grossly overlooked and undervalued in architectural education and practice. Having more knowledge than most about these topics can take you far in your career! Taking the CDT has opened many doors for me.

Nov 30, 23 7:20 pm  · 
1  · 
thatsthat

More generally, CSI has helped me connect with manufacturer's reps that know about project delivery and are interested in making connections with architects. I find that, with a lot of reps, they do not understand that architects often cannot sole source a product, due to owner's funding constraints, and that we need specific information about the product to be able to properly qualify and specify them. I have found that CSI/CDT helps bring everyone to a similar level of understanding about the rules of the road in construction. I was licensed before I took the CDT; I found that it expanded on a lot of what was already covered in AREs. 

Maintaining your CDT does require CEUs, but the number of credits is pretty minimal and does overlap with the CEUs required for AIA (if that is the route you choose once licensed). I would take a look at what is required to maintain a CDT credential and decide if that works for you.

Dec 3, 23 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I took the CDT back in school and found it to be useful throughout; just got around to taking the ARE and am thankful I have some knowledge in it.  Can't say its been that helpful professionally, but spec writers and contractors seem to give me a bit more room than my colleagues who don't.

Dec 14, 23 10:50 am  · 
 · 

Specs are an important part of the CD's . . . .

Dec 14, 23 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

"It's not about specs, it's not about drafting, it's about project delivery."

Dec 14, 23 7:22 pm  · 
 · 

Aren't specs and drafting part of project delivery? ;)

Dec 15, 23 11:05 am  · 
 · 
3tk

What I mean to say is that studying for CDT has not enhanced measurably more than what I have learned from doing specs and learning about them for ARE.

Dec 15, 23 3:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: