Archinect
anchor

Overseas Architects working in the UK

Miguel1988

Hello!

I would like to get some advice about working as an architect in the UK.

I'm a Mexican architect (registered only in Mexico) and I would really like to work in the UK in an area related to my field to get experience in a British architectural firm. I studied a Master's degree in Sustainable Architecture at the University of Sheffield. However, this was not a RIBA degree.

Do I really need to get registered in the UK in order to work as an architect? 

Is it very hard to get registered and pass the ARB examinations?

Have you been or do you know anyone who has been in this situation? What did they do to solve this problem?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Jul 15, 14 7:19 pm
KaylaF

Hi-

Do you have a work permit or some way of legally giving you the right to work in the UK?  At the moment it is very difficult to get a job if you don't have the right to work in the UK, following on from the recession.

You don't need to be registered in the UK to work in an architecture practice, but you may find it more difficult to get the salary or position you want initially without more concrete experience.

Like many countries calling yourself an 'architect' is a protected expression, although you can say you are a registered Mexican architect, be careful of saying you are an architect as this could get you in trouble with the ARB.

If you want to get your degrees accredited it is a costly process and you will likely have to do a lot of work to make your school work fit the criteria.  Additionally, you can only get your degrees accredited, you would still need to take a Part III in the UK in order to be registered.  I do know a few people who have done this (or chosen to not do this- myself included).  Most people I know who went ahead with the conversion only did so because they were not a registered architect someplace else so transferred their degrees in order to make the UK their one and only registration.

Hope that helps!

Jul 21, 14 11:44 am  · 
 · 
careyj

I've just moved from the UK at the end of May.  I have a visa that enables me to work, however I am struggling to find a job.  I was a licensed Architect in the US and I DO plan to pursue ARB qualifications here. Like KaylaF said, they are very costly.  Currently, close to $3000 just for the first portion (Part I) and it involves a significant amount of documentation.  So I need some solid income to pay for it, but because I don't have these formal UK qualifications, I have had little success in getting my foot in the door somewhere.  I just hope someone cuts me a little break and realizes that I can do the job without this qualification based on my previous work and school experience.  A word of advice, if you don't already know Revit, start doing some tutorials and get comfortable using it.  I am proficient in it and notice that many firms here are looking for that.

Jul 21, 14 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
normaecardozo@hotmail.com

Hi I think that you could find a job in a builders company.It could help to get some income and at the same time get experience.

Oct 17, 17 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
1likejam

In my experience only the bigger firms are currently using Revit, small - medium practices are mainly using Autocad. And most practices in the UK fall into the small-medium range.

Apr 10, 19 11:49 am  · 
1  · 
pratty08@gmail.com

hi I have a B'Arch degree from overseas which is a 5 year full time architecture course equivalent to Part 2 in UK.I also have 8 years of work experience of which 6 years have been in the UK.I am planning to apply for RIBA Part 1 and 2 in January next year and have started filling in the criterias for the same.I also have a Masters degree in Urban Design from Newcastle University.

As my first degree was overseas I do not have any academic work with me but do have lot of work samples from projects at work which I have done.

Can someone tell me how easy/ hard it is to succeed in the RIBA Examination based on work samples and my Urban Design academic work?

If someone is in a similar situation we could discuss and work things out.Please let me know.Thanks for your help in advance. 

Aug 16, 14 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
Suhailah

Hi, i want to ask you a question, you said you worked for 6 years in UK, is this in architectural work field? If so do you mind share your experience of finding the job?

Feb 4, 22 9:06 am  · 
 · 
melaniabergna

Hi, I found myself in the same situation, Im a qualified Architect from Argentina, moved to the north east of England last January. I’ve been looking for a job since then, Im proficient in REVIT, RHINO, AUTOCAD, SKETCHUP, ADOBE PHOTOSHOP+ILLUSTRATOR+INDESIGN  and many others programs and its been imposible to even get an interview with an architectural practice.

I also have a Portfolio with part of my work as a student and my Professional architectural practice in Argentina I been thinking about apply for my RIBA examination in the future but how can afford to pay the exams if im not able to find a job?. I been applying for jobs like “Architectural assistant, Architectural Technician, Revit Technician, CAD Technician”.

If someone can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. I don’t know if I can be doing something else, Thanks in advance.

Jun 28, 17 6:32 am  · 
 · 
abott

Hi,

Nov 23, 18 7:28 am  · 
 · 
abott

Hi, sorry I am not used to this page yet. I was in a similar situation when I moved from Colombia in 2015. I applied to several jobs to only be told that I did not have enough experience in the UK. I decided to volunteer for an organisation where I learnt a bit about the planning process and construction types in the UK (all that while working in a restaurant) The 8 months I volunteered paid of when I finally found a job in Architecture. It may seem really hard at the beginning but don't give up!. Alex B

Nov 23, 18 7:47 am  · 
1  · 
zonaa22

Hi

Apr 11, 19 7:30 am  · 
 · 
zonaa22

Hi

Apr 11, 19 7:31 am  · 
 · 
zonaa22

Hi

Apr 11, 19 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
zonaa22

Hi I am in the same situation, I am an Architect, moved into London in 2017, I have been looking for jobs but it has been impossible, until now I have not had any job interview. I am from Colombia, I have 14 years of experience, I also have a portfolio Alex if you could help me with any advance I would really appreciate it. Thanks for your help in advance. ​ Manuel B.

Apr 11, 19 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
C_UK

Hi Zonaa22,

Would you be able to help with my post: https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150171732/being-an-architect-in-your-country ?

Does practising in Columbia differ in any interesting ways to the UK that you can think of? 

Nov 24, 19 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Suhailah

Did you get any job

Feb 4, 22 9:12 am  · 
 · 
TED

If you need a Tier 2 visa to work then it will be harder - 

Jun 28, 17 7:26 am  · 
 · 
Nats

The RIBA part 3 exam is the one that enables you to practice as an architect and that is very difficult exam because you need experience logged over at least two years in practice plus you need to do a formal exam comprising of theory and practical exams and the practical exam is all about UK architectural management - its the most difficult exam I've ever done. Finally you also need an interview with a Part 3 examiner who goes through your log book etc and decides whether you pass or fail. Its very difficult and took me a few years to get through as a UK architectural student with two years work experience and five years in further education.

If you dont want to be an actual architect you can be an architectural technologist with no qualfications but Autocad/Revit will help you get work as will good constructional knowledge.

Sep 7, 17 10:30 am  · 
1  · 
Owlchitect24

I'll be taking that exam after 2 years in London, do you know any review school or classes offering enrichments for that?

Sep 25, 20 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
Suhailah

Did you sit for RIBA 3 ? How can i get jobs as architectural technologist?

Feb 4, 22 9:12 am  · 
 · 
normaecardozo@hotmail.com

Hi

I am an architect that was working in Spain for 27 year.but as my degree is from Argentina I have to do the exam in order to register at the ARB.

I am living in London for nearly 2 years now.

I am studying and trying to get ready to pass the exam.

I would like to meet someone that is in the same situation so we could discuss and help each other. my user name is my email address. If someone is interested please contact me.

Oct 17, 17 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
C_UK

Hi normaecardozo,

Would you be able to help me with my post? https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150171732/being-an-architect-in-your-country

I hear Spain may have some useful areas where practice differs that could be brought to the UK? 

Kind regards

Nov 24, 19 3:21 pm  · 
 · 

Hi,

I studied architecture in Nigeria, my qualifications are HND Architectural Technology and also did a PGD Architectural technology. i moved to the UK about one year ago and i have been on search for an Architectural job, I have about 8 years post qualification experience before moving here, i am efficient in Revit , Autocad, Microsoft Project, CoreDRAW, Photoshop. 

Its been difficult getting a job of an Architectural Assistant or anything close here, i presently work as a carer after searching for about 7months. but i stillgo online everyday to do the search, i have done several self taught courses online to update myself about architecture in the UK. i have the right to work in the UK.

I just need advice on what to do to get into the system here, and will like to know if i need to do things differently. Architecture is what i love and anywhere i find myself i just want to practice it.

THANK YOU

Nov 28, 17 11:15 am  · 
 · 
randomised

Don't search for work that isn't there, whenever a job is posted online you're already too late. Keep tabs on who's winning competions or lands new commissions and contact those offices pro-actively. Also make sure your letter, cv and portfolio are up to date and tailored specifically for the offices you're applying to and refer to your strengths and interests in relation to the office you're applying to. Just wanting to practice isn't going to cut it, you need to convince them that you should be practicing architecture at their studio and they'd be missing out if you'd work for their competitors.

Nov 28, 17 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
ogunjidegideon

What you did is what am trying to do, I also have HND in Architecture but no PGD, I want to come to UK, I was told I need to do a working visa but as my research went, I discovered I need a sponsor to help me with work permit, so I can take it down to the embassy.

Nov 20, 20 6:08 am  · 
 · 
idrisburhanpurwala

I'm an Architecture student from Pune, India. currently in my final year and will be done with my course in the next month, i.e. July 2018 and get my B.Arch degree.

I want to work in Manchester, UK in an architecture firm but how do I get work permit for the same. I do have my relative in Manchester to be my sponsor but can't I get a working visa as well as job confirmation prior I fly to work in Manchester?

Also do I have to get ARB /RIBA cleared or my B.Arch (5yrs) undergraduate degree with 8 months of internship experience will do for a fresher job?

Thank you for any advice in advance.

Jun 8, 18 3:49 am  · 
 · 
yokeshwaranarcotranganathan

Hi,

I am Ar.Yokeshwaran completed my graduation in India and doing my masters in Italy. I had been working as an architect in India for 5 years and while i am searching for job here i found its difficult too get a job in UK and in Europe. If you really like to work work here i would suggest you to do masters in UK and join as a architecture intern as it is a part of your study. You can continue to work after that. 

Jun 20, 18 4:59 am  · 
1  · 
prachiahuja1

Hi, I am Prachi, I have done my Architecture from Mumbai. And I have been working here in Mumbai for past 4 years. I have applied for master's programme in UK which are 1 year courses and I have got offer from a couple of Universities. Will I be able to work in UK after my master's or will it be next to impossible to get a job there. Please do help me out. I hope you could help. Thank you

May 26, 20 5:44 pm  · 
2  · 
venkateshkalidoss

Hi yokeshwaranarcotranganathan. Could u please contact me. I am unble to find your contact. venkateshkalidoss@gmail.com, +91 9629086811.

Jun 8, 20 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
gauravtyagi

Hello, I am Gaurav, and recently completed my bachelor's degree in architecture in 2020 and planning to do a Msc degree from UK, will it be enough to get a job there in the field of architecture, and what is our 5 year degree equivalent to there

Jan 29, 21 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
drishyababu

Were any of you able to figure out what B.Arch 5 years in India is equivalent to in UK ? I am in final year of b.arch as well, and plan to do my masters in UK similar to you all. Will I be able to work there after 2 years M.Arch in UK?

Jun 7, 21 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Since this was bumped up to the top of the forum again, its probably worth pointing out:

Getting a visa to the UK in the current climate is next to impossible.

Since the Brexit vote there has been a run on the Tier-2 visa. Subsequently, to qualify for a skilled-worker permit, you require a starting salary averaging 50,000 - 55,000 GBP (going off data for the last 6 months). It does not matter if you find a sponsor willing to take you on, you must make that much money as a starting salary for the visa to be approved by the home office. Typically you'd need about ~8-10 years experience to qualify for that type of position in the ARB/RIBA salary reports.

https://www.peoplemanagement.c...

https://www.personneltoday.com...

Jun 8, 18 9:20 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Openings in the UK if you have experience with non-flammable aluminum cladding on tall buildings.

Jun 20, 18 7:00 am  · 
 · 
georginadelaguardia

Hi, I'm Mexican and have been living in London for 1,5 years. I don't have a degree. I am looking for an architect role, is it possible that I can apply as assistant 1? I have 8 years experience working in Mexico. Do I have any chance to get hired? 

Aug 7, 18 2:37 pm  · 
sandrahoueiss

Hey,

i am a lebanese architect, just moved to London, holding a March. from a lebanese university along with 7 years experience planning to work in UK, any idea if there is anyone that can help me through this as i want to make sure that all my paper are correct and submitted right 

Sep 20, 18 11:01 am  · 
 · 
TED

Unless you already have the legal right to work in the UK, good luck. One of my students who was brilliant with MArch and full Part 3 could not get a 2nd sponsorship - looked for 6 months all around the country. Your best try would be looking at very large practices doing projects in the middle east. Alternately look for large contractors who also higher architects.

Sep 20, 18 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
sandrahoueiss

any idea if there is someone that can help with tje ARB registration ? seems quit papers and documents to be submitted

Sep 20, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
sandrahoueiss

any idea if there is someone that can help with tje ARB registration ? seems quit papers and documents to be submitted

Sep 20, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
amirah

Hi 

i would like to get some advices about working as an architect in UK .

I'm a tunisian architect, got my diploma on 2014 and have 4 years of experience in practical work, currently working with a qatari firm in Tunisia . i would like to know about my statue in Uk as an architect if i move to live there, is it part I or part II , knowing that our academic studies r all in french language, but i dont have difficulties in english language anyway... what r the procedures to study a master in one of the universities in UK ?  on websites , we found lots and lots of informations, i couldn't figure out the right way to apply in any of it , it's very confusing !! 

Do I really need to get registered in the UK in order to work as an architect? and from which level i should start a study or internship if possible ? 

Thank you in advance for your help

Sep 26, 18 8:08 am  · 
 · 
padma

Hi,

I am an architect from India  with 1.5 years of experience.I am moving to Dublin,Ireland in 2018 and am planning to continue to work there.I would like to know about the job opportunities for foreign architects in Ireland ?

Would my Indian experience help me get a job/internship in Dublin or is it better to do Architectural Masters in the universities in Ireland ??

Would the Masters degree help me get registered with both RIAI and RIBA ?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Sep 29, 18 11:02 am  · 
 · 
navy93

Hey Padma, 

I am also looking forward to studying architecture in Ireland.

Hoping you will be able to help out with few of my quires.

Thanks in advance.

Nav

Feb 2, 20 10:25 am  · 
 · 
samvenzonjr.

Hi,

I’m a Filipino Architect registered and currently located here in the Philippines. I have just been recently granted a Certificate of Sponsorship, having been hired by a licensed sponsor in the UK with a job position as an Architect (Graduate Part 2 equivalent, I think). I’ll be applying for the work visa in less than 2 weeks. 

My employer has checked my credentials and I have undergone some online trainings with them in the past months making it easier for them to decide to hire me. However, I have just recently checked the accepted degrees acquired from schools that are recognized by RIBA (or whichever Architecture Board the UK has), and any school in the Philippines, including mine are not on the list. I think my license wouldn’t be recognized either. 

My question is: am I going to be granted the visa even if my credentials as an Architect are not recognized in the UK? Will the UKVI still evaluate my professional credentials in the visa processing? Or has that been settled during the stage when the employer applied to sponsor a foreigner? 

It would be huge help for me to know this now before I submit my application. Thanks in advance for your answers. 

Oct 7, 18 7:56 am  · 
2  · 
Arki Jeric

Hi Sam,

Jul 18, 19 3:53 am  · 
 · 
Arki Jeric

Hi Sam. Looks like RIBA is very specific that the title "architect" is only for the chartered architects here in UK. I myself contacted them. Technically though, you can perform the works of an architect like an architectural technologist or technician. I came here 2017 and despite my 10 year background in one of the largest developer back in PH, I have had hard time landing a job that suites my qualification even though I am a
licensed and registered architect in PH. I am currently employed as CAD designer here in a joinery company in Northern Ireland. Can't complain about my job now except that I long for the times that I do much complex work than just detailing and designing.

Jul 18, 19 4:01 am  · 
1  · 
Owlchitect24

Hi Sam, I enrolled for an internship in an Architectural firm in London, I am also a registered Architect in the PH. If ever I'd be staying there and finish my internship am I able to apply to companies til I complete the 2 year requirement for RIBA exam. Im also sure that my school isnt recognized by RIBA. Im from a small town.

Sep 25, 20 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
moira

Hello all!

I was wondering if there is any other Architect who had a similar case, and perhaps could give me some info. 

I am a European Architect and I would like to register with the ARB. I posses a double nationality ( Greek and Italian ), I completed my academic studies in the University of Rome "La Sapienza"-Faculty of Architecture. 

My degree has been recognized by the Greek Ministry of Education as an equivalent one, and I joined the Greek Chamber of Architects after I successfully passed the exams. Since then I have been working as an Architect in Greece, Cyprus and I have also done a 6 months internship in London so far.

Is it going to be possible for me to register with the ARB?

If any one has any info or knows someone with a similar story, please leave me a comment!

Thank you very much in advance for your time!

Nov 11, 18 8:02 pm  · 
 · 
abott

Hi there, I am not an European Architect but have many friends that are, their situation was similar but there is a big difference of the equivalency you can get in the UK. If you did a degree in Architecture of around 3 years that would only allow you to get Part 1 adn 2 equivalent, you will still need to do your Part 3 here. If you also hold a masters degree from a recognised European University then you are most likely to be able to register without going through Part 3, though I would strongly recommend you to get familiar to what it means to be an UK registered Architect. As I found during my Part 3, the topics can only be learnt if you enrol in a course or by doing a very rigurous research, if you apply to be an architect and they (the practice) realise that you do not have the knowledge of practice management or contract administration then you won't be very likely to get a job as an Architect. Hope this helps. Regards, Alex B

Nov 23, 18 7:22 am  · 
 · 
abott

Hi there,

I am not an European Architect but have many friends that are, their situation was similar but there is a big difference of the equivalency you can get in the UK. If you did a degree in Architecture of around 3 years that would only allow you to get Part 1 adn 2 equivalent, you will still need to do your Part 3 here. If you also hold a masters degree from a recognised European University then you are most likely to be able to register without going through Part 3, though I would strongly recommend you to get familiar to what it means to be an UK registered Architect. As I found during my Part 3, the topics can only be learnt if you enrol in a course or by doing a very rigurous research, if you apply to be an architect and  they (the practice) realise that you do not have the knowledge of practice management or contract administration then you won't be very likely to get a job as an Architect.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alex B 

Nov 23, 18 7:22 am  · 
 · 
ΧρήστοςΜποτονάκης

hello,
i am a newly graduated architect from Greece and i want to start working in UK. My university studies were at least 5 years in my country. What Part (1,2,3) am i going to be registered? What i need to know before i start my new life in UK? I do not have working experience as an architect! I would love to have some information on what i need to do, in order to start working in UK and to be registered too! 

Thank you

Apr 10, 19 11:13 am  · 
 · 
1likejam

It sounds like you would be at part 2 level, but the usual path for UK students is to do 1 year inbetween years 3 and 4, so many will have at least some experience. It is difficult currently as many practices are waiting before hiring to see the outcome of Brexit.

Apr 10, 19 11:52 am  · 
 · 
1likejam

Depending on your age you may be able to apply for an erasmus work placement program, where they will contribute a monthly stipend. this may make it an easier sell to get your foot in the door somewhere and get that experience.

Your qualifications will be recognised in the UK, but in order to 'register' as an Architect you would have to undertake a part 3 course with 2 years of recorded experience. 

Apr 10, 19 11:53 am  · 
 · 
lorenaloureiro
Hi everyone! I’m a Brazilian architect, with a 5 years degree plus 5 years of work experience, who moved to London a few months ago. I’m struggling with the process of how to become an architect in the Uk also. I’m not sure with path follow, if the better option is to do a master programme (I’m applying for some MArch programme already) or try to do directly the process of ARB examinations for part 1 and 2. I want to work, but without UK experience is difficult to find a job.

I suggest, for those who are in the same situation and want to discuss about it to help each other, to create a whatsapp group for overseas architects. There we can share and learn about ARB process/ work in London. Please let me Know if someone are interested.

Thanks,
Lorena
Apr 11, 19 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
anacarolinamachado

Hi Lorena II am a Brazilian architect too. I just found this website and I am in a similar position.I wander if you already got through the hole process or you are still working on finding more informations about the arb registration and the exams that we need to do.

If you are interested in chat about it, please contact me

Nov 6, 19 8:58 am  · 
 · 
C_UK

Hi Lorena,

I wonder if you'd be able to help me with my post?

https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150171732/being-an-architect-in-your-country

kind regards

Nov 24, 19 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Marta Marino

Hello everyone. I am an Italian architect with 15 years of experience and I have a 5 years degree got in Italy. 

I found the way to be registered to ARB and to the Riba Part III with a lots of documents and experience of work in italy. 

I'm looking for a job here since a few months but I don't have received any calls for an interview.   I'm not understanding what I can do.

If someone would like to sharing his/her situation I'll be happy. My email is martamarinoarchitetto@gmail.com

Thank you 

Marta 

May 21, 19 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
sreesravyanimmagadda

Hi 

I have graduated in 2016 from india and was working since then. I would like to do masters in UK , get exposure ,get employed there for a while  ( probably 2 years ) and return back india.

Will that be a good option ? I'm very much worried if the experience there wouldn't be counted here in Indian market ? I'm afraid if I have to start the career from same point in India after returning. Will this make a good choice ? Also , what are the prospects of getting employed in good companies there ? Pleas advise me .. thanks in advance. 

Sep 21, 19 6:34 am  · 
 · 
andrealocsin

Hi!

Good day!

My name is Andrea Locsin from Manila, Philippines. I graduated Bachelor of Science in Architecture at De La Salle - College of Saint Benilde here in Manila last December 2014. I worked for GF and Partners Architects in Makati City, Philippines from February 2015 to February 2017. Since then, I worked freelance and became a Registered and Licensed Filipino Architect. I’m now planning to take my masters in UK and avail the 2 years post-study work after I graduate. I just want to what is the best path for me to be become an architect in UK? I will really appreciate it if you respond to my query, so that I have a better understanding of what to expect when I get there. Please email me as well if you’d like to share your experience parallel to my predicament.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely yours,
Andrea

Sep 21, 19 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
mel

Hi, Licensed Architect here also from PH, just want to ask if you already found job in the UK?

Dec 11, 23 1:31 am  · 
 · 
ugochukwuazumakalu

I would like to get some advice's about working as an architect in UK.

I'm Azuma kalu Ugochukwu, a graduate of architecture from Nigerian university obtaining Bsc. and MSC. In architecture, but would like to work in the UK with landscape firm as a trainee that is where my interest is at the moment. I have eleven years experience as a teacher in the higher institution and has done some important projects. Pls, I need help. Thanks

Nov 22, 19 7:12 am  · 
 · 
C_UK

Hi, 

If anyone could help with my post: https://archinect.com/forum/thread/150171732/being-an-architect-in-your-country it would be greatly appreciated. Lots of overseas architects here, would be interesting to have open discussions about how practice differs in others countries and what could be brought to the UK system.

Thanks =) 

Nov 24, 19 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
nikitavj

Hi there, 

I've recently completed my fourth year of studies, my BTech in Architecture applied design in South Africa. This makes me a Senior Architectural Technologist here. Could someone please advise what that would be considered in the UK? 

I am looking to immigrate over, does anyone perhaps have some advice or knowledge on the process? Can I apply for jobs or do I need to do some sort of bridging course? 

Thank you. 

Dec 9, 19 6:40 am  · 
 · 
nicholaschima

Hello everyone, what  work opportunities are out there for graduate foreign architects in the UK in 2020,

Secondly is there a WhatsApp group for this tread?, I'd like to be a part of it.

Mar 12, 20 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
ahsan raza khokhar

Please do share with me also

Jun 1, 20 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
mkmc_89

Hi, Is there any group whose doing ARB Part 1 submission. I am on the same situation. I'd like to be a part of it. Thanks. 

Apr 30, 20 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
ahsan raza khokhar

HELLO every one

Guys I am from Pakistan and currently practicing Architecture here in PAKISTAN for 8 years 

Here I have founded my on firm and working in various projects 

I got the work permit visa in UK (london)

Now how can i get the job . I am regestered here in Pakistan and how i can git ma regerstration from there in UK. 

I would appriciate if any one is interested in guiding me and have a conversation about it through my email

Reagrds 

MAY GOD BLESS U ALLA.

Jun 1, 20 6:40 pm  · 
 · 
shdesignbuilt

Hi , i would like to know how did u get work permit without job offer ? is ther any way , will be helpfull as i am planning to move to the uk .

Sep 20, 20 6:51 am  · 
 · 
sujatakate

hi 

I have a offer lettle from DMU for ms in sustainability and architecture for 1 year.

I have 7 years of experience in my country as an b.arch.

I would like to know if I can pratice as an architect after my ms degree without RIBA in UK.

Plz help and comment.

Jun 25, 20 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
arshiahussain

Hi, 

I’m an Indian architect and I’m planning to do masters in construction management in UK. My spouse is also a architect with a B.Arch degree from India and has 5-6 years of experience in architectural practice. If my spouse travels along with me with a dependent visa, will he be able to find a job for himself in an architecture firm? How much would be the least pay per month?
Please let me know all that we should do, because this will decide if I should pursue my degree from UK or elsewhere. 

Aug 20, 20 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
patyleetch1

Hi

I'm a licensed Mexican architect, I've been working in the US for 3 years as an Architectural Designer. I have 2 BA, one in architecture and the 2nd one in Environmental Studies. I want to move somewhere in the EU, could I still apply for a job as an Architectural Designer? Just to taste the waters, Im not currently looking to get licensed there. 

Feb 16, 21 9:20 pm  · 
 · 
stephanietavoukjian

Hey everyone!

I am a British national, but I reside in Lebanon.
I have a B.A in architecture from a University here in Lebanon.

Wondering what are the requirements or the steps I need to follow, to be able to practice or work in the UK.

And also I’ve noticed most job listings specify Architect Part 1-4, so how can I know if my degree qualifies to any part, and if not how can I be qualified? 

Thanks in advance!

Feb 19, 21 5:19 am  · 
 · 
Bishop81

Post Brexit, you need to register for everything in UK. 

Feb 19, 21 7:10 am  · 
 · 
asmitaraghuvanshy

Hello, I am in process of applying for a 2 year workvisa to the UK, as I have family based in London. I have completed my B.Arch degree from Mumbai University, and have been working since the past three years in india. What are my chances of finding employment based on my skills? Will i have to apply for RIBA accreditation to be hired as a junior architect? 

May 28, 21 5:48 am  · 
 · 
jaz1

Hi, 

I'm currently a 3rd year architecture student in the Philippines. I plan on working in the UK in my future. I just want to ask what's the best way to do it and the fastest too.. 

1. Should I get my license first in my country which will need a 2 year work experience to do so, then find architecture entry jobs overseas? 

2. Should I get a master's degree in the UK, enter an internship programme, and hopefully get employed that way? 

May 31, 21 9:07 am  · 
 · 
Awashima

Hi. 

I have a 4 years bachelor's degree and 2 years masters in Architecture. I will be done with my 2 years masters in urban and Regional planning this year, all my degrees are from a Nigerian university.

I would love to migrate to the UK next year. What are my chances, what part will I fall under, will it be easier to pursue a career in Architecture or in Planning.

Jun 10, 21 6:55 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

Unless your courses were RIBA accredited you have almost no chance. You would have to go through the accreditation test for a part 1 which is about 3k I believe? Although you could become a Revit/BIM technician which to be fair are fairly higher paid than actual part 1 or part 2 architects.

Jun 13, 21 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

For everyone who keeps replying to this thread, if your course was not accredited by the RIBA you 100% will not be hired as a part 1, part 2 or most definitely not any type of architect in the UK.

The only way to get that is by studying a RIBA course or by having your portfolio assessed by the RIBA which I hear is extremely harsh.

Even after that getting employment in the UK as a international right now is almost impossible due to BREXIT and COVID. 

The rest of the questions and answers can be easily googled and searched for on the actual RIBA website.

Jun 13, 21 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
TED

You're wrong - The UK is an international country so you could be employed as Part I, Part 2 equivalent or even "Architect" equivalent. 

Particularly when OP stated architecture or planning. Larger practice can offer a Tier 2 visa and find one a firm listed here: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/993295/2021-06-14_Tier_2_5_Register_of_Sponsors.pdf and make a certain minimum salary presently £25,600. 

That being said, it is unlikely to find a sponsor if you are fresh out of University.  OP best to come to the UK and do a post-professional degree in a specialization and make prospective employer connections while going to Uni.

Jun 14, 21 9:50 am  · 
 · 
archiwutm8

I think you're reading what I said incorrectly. What I'm saying is if the degree you hold is not accredited by the RIBA then you certainly will not be able to qualify for part 1, 2 or hold the title of architect in the UK. You would need to pass the examination instead which I assume most people here don't realise. Meaning you won't be able to progress even if you get employed as a draughtsmen or similar unless you actually get the examination done.
https://arb.org.uk/architect-information/applying-for-registration-for-the-first-time/i-hold-overseas-non-recognised-uk-qualifications/

Jun 14, 21 10:44 am  · 
 · 
TED

But that in no way limits one from working in a practice as a architect or architect designer. And by the way, Internationally RIBA validated programs are not validated by ARB so you will still have to apply to ARB to sit for Part I, II and III. https://www.architecture.com/education-cpd-and-careers/riba-validation/international-validated-schools

Jun 14, 21 11:18 am  · 
1  · 
sympa

I completed my BSc degree in Architecture from Nigeria, a Master's in Architectural Studies from UK and now, I'm doing an MArch degree in the UK. Hopefully, the MArch degree would give me Part II. 

I was told by ARB that I'd have to do their Prescribed Examinations I to get Part I (I don't need to get Part I before Part II) and hopefully, all that'll be left would be Part III.

Oct 20, 21 6:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: