Archinect
anchor

Americans at the AA

NicoleA

Hi there everyone!

I'm a recent college graduate looking to pursue a professional degree in architecture. I do not have any background in the field. Of the many schools I am interested in, the AA is one out of the country (I'm in the US) that I continue to be curious about. 

Could anyone let me know about their experience as an American student in their program? Would I pursue the equivalent of of a US MArch I or, like the Cooper Union, pursue a BArch. How did the admissions process differ from US Schools? How does a degree translate to the American Licensing system and beyond? What is the financial 'situation' for international students? Acceptance rate for international students?

I'm sure there are plenty of other questions I should be asking. All input is welcome and appreciated. 

Aug 28, 13 5:07 pm
siesta

I also have a degree in an unrelated field and am pursuing architecture. I have dual-citizenship with America and Germany, so I was originally hoping to study in Europe. I researched this a bit, and ultimately decided to pursue an M.Arch in America instead. Schools in Europe don't seem to offer the three-year M.Arch degree--their master's degrees are for people who already have a B.Arch, even at places like the AA, Bartlett, and IAAC, which seem like institutions that are a bit more free-thinking.

Even if I were to get some preliminary education and experience here, and somehow get into a program in Europe, the truth is that I don't think their programs would be right for me. And I'm not interested in getting a B.Arch in Europe, because if I'm going to spend three years of intense education, I want to get out of it with a master's.

Not trying to dissuade you from making it happen--if you really want to do it I'm sure you can find a way. Just letting you know what I've learned from my brief research.

Aug 28, 13 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
TED

UK schools require that your education is both Part I / Part II so any professional qualified programme will require that you have a professional degree or degree in architecture prior to starting your MArch.  Check this out for validating your UK degree award for US - its not pretty.

Aug 28, 13 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
NicoleA

But I presume a second Bachelors in the form of a BArch is not unheard of. I don't mind the time investment. For the value of the school's pedagogy and experience, it's worth it.

Sep 4, 13 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: