Archinect
anchor

University of Florida

Im D S

How good is this school ??

May 4, 13 12:35 pm
observant

It's good.  It's a tad more regional than national.  It is the best architectural school in Florida, in my opinion, and a helluva lot cheaper than Univ. of Miami.  It also has schools of landscape architecture, planning, and building construction under the same roof. I think the only other really good school in the Southeast is Georgia Tech.  Also, Florida has climbed in its stature as an American university and is no longer the easy admit it once was.

I was admitted for the M.Arch.  Part of me wanted to go, but I was worried about the transportability of the degree, so I opted for another school.  Having spent a lot of my formative years in LA, I think FL would have been a better fit, but that's water under the bridge.  I love vacationing there, that's for sure.

I don't know what program you are looking at, but M.Arch. is basic +2 for those with a 4 year undergraduate degree in arch.  However, the program I was admitted to - M.Arch. 3+ - has now been stretched out to 4 years, with less credits in each semester, and went from about 4 structures classes down to 2.  Not the way to go.  Now, I may seem obsessed with structures classes, but that's not it at all.  If schools have so many God damn credit hours to play with, why can't they insert classes dedicated specifically to wood/steel and concrete?  Those classes helped me immeasurably, in talking to SEs and passing the ARE.  It's definitely a good 4 year program, if you are considering grad school afterward.  I'm not sure, but they may also allow taking classes over in Bldg. Const. or have some dual degree set-up.  Check if interested. 

The biggest issue with UF is that it's a party school and if you're cut from that cloth, it might be tempting to forgo school work.  If not, then that's not a problem.  Also, if you can make the time, the beaches around Jacksonville and immediately to the east of Gainesville are there for your enjoyment.  However, Volusia County, where Daytona Beach is located, has more shark attacks than any county in Florida, so work on your tan instead of your surfing skills.

May 4, 13 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Im D S

hey !! thanks for the response !! 

So far i have gotten admits from SCI arc, UF, Iowa State, Kansas, Miami, TAMU and NJIT all for the M Arch 3+ program !! 

i wanna make the best decision i can !! so what do you think would be the best choice ?? Im actually confused essentially between Sci arc UF and ISU  :(

May 4, 13 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
observant

They are so different from each other and in such different locations, that the best thing you can do is weigh the pros and cons, and the personality, of each school.  Have you visited, or are you too far away?  What's TAMU?  Do you mean FAMU?

May 4, 13 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Sorry, I get it.  TAMU might be Texas A & M.

May 4, 13 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Im D S

I'm from India, so no, I haven't had the chance to visit any of the schools. 

May 4, 13 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Tough decision.  If UF was 3 or even 3.5 years, that's where I would go out of that group, but that's just me.  You realize it's not in a city, and is actually quite far from FL's population centers, though one with a car wouldn't care.  It's the revised time frame of the first M.Arch. that I'm not crazy about.  I like Florida, even though I love L.A., which is too expensive, and the other locations don't really interest me.  I would get more advice and opinions.  Any others?

May 5, 13 1:02 am  · 
 · 
Im D S

how about iowA state ??

May 5, 13 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I looked for you, out of curiosity.

Good school, reportedly friendly atmosphere, they get you out in 3 years (using a summer session for a studio)

Not where I'd want to be - i.e. boring,but what can you do?

May 5, 13 2:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: