Archinect
anchor

Building Information Modelling (BIM) Research Proposal

archblue

Hi Guys,

Long-time reader, first time poster.

I am currently undertaking a Master of Architecture in Australia and would like to share my progress and seek feedback over the coming semester.

Building Information Modelling (BIM) is a topic I would like base my research thesis around.  I am a current BIM user (Archicad) and believe a greater knowledge in this field will give me an advantage in the future.

While we think of BIM as a three-dimensionally based, with current BIM systems there is still a lot two dimensional information required for documentation.  The balancing of 3D aspiration with 2D reality is a continued source of tension amongst my work peers in the office, be this in relation to time efficiency or quality of work, this is an area where I would like to focus my research on.

I hope to work on forming a number of questions based on these ideas to better help me understand the direction I will be taking.  I would be interested to know if others think this topic is viable to base a thesis on, or other paths I should be looking at taking instead,

I look forward to sharing my process with the Archinect world and look forward to all the feedback I receive.

Thanks.

Apr 2, 13 10:03 am
zonker

The balancing of 3D aspiration with 2D reality is a continued source of tension amongst my work peers in the office

or it can be 3D aspiration balanced by 3D reality - 2D is views and documentation of those realities.

Apr 2, 13 11:55 am  · 
 · 
archblue

or it can be 3D aspiration balanced by 3D reality - 2D is views and documentation of those realities.

I guess when I reference 2D I am Implying 2D CAD line work.  When is the appropriate time to stop working in 3D or even 4D, 5D etc and start drafting in 2D, or vice versa, based on time efficiency and quality of work.

At this stage the research topic might be to broad to base a thesis off , so may need to focus on an aspect of this topic.

Apr 2, 13 8:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: