Archinect
anchor

Help-- Experienced Designer Needed!

Gmatc

Hi.  I need a program that 1. Is powerful (I'd like to be able to do skyscrapers/twists) 2. Learn-able from skratch.

It doesn't need to be an easy program, there just need be enough material to teach me how to use it thoroughly.

I was considering Gehry Technologies' design program, but the youtube videos don't explain what's going on.

I've never learned a design program before.

Mar 6, 13 1:01 pm
drums please, Fab?

learn from skratch?  try scetchup!

Mar 6, 13 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

grasshopper for rhino

Mar 6, 13 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
elan_h

Rhino.  

Mar 6, 13 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
temporality

rhino or conceptual massing in revit

Mar 6, 13 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

you can learn any modelling software out there... Truth is.. Even though you master the software, it ain't going to help you if you plain suck in designing.  Don't confuse modeling with designing, and don't confuse making fancy renderings with making something that is constructable. xD

Mar 6, 13 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Gmatc

accesskb, you sound like you know what you're talking about.  I'd like to go by your recommendation.

Mar 6, 13 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
Gmatc

Yes, I'd like to make models for the time being.  No structural/HVAC plumbing ect.  I like to make models for portfolio

Mar 6, 13 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Sketchup is easy and fast to learn, and with a few add-ons and plug-ins can be surprisingly powerful and sophisticated (haters can suck it). But it has its limits. Eventually, you'll want to transition to something else when you want to take on something really complicated.

Rhino is not as easy to learn but not that difficult. It's far more powerful as a modeling tool, and grasshopper is the shiznit. It's my personal favorite, but exporting Rhino files into other programs can be problematic.

3DS Max is a royal pain in the ass to learn (it has a really non-intuitive and frustrating GUI), but works very well with rendering software for top-quality graphic output.

Revit conceptual modeling has potential and makes transition to full BIM modeling a snap, but isn't quite ready for prime time yet. Wait for the next, improved version. Also, Revit's built-in rendering engine isn't that great.

Mar 7, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: