Archinect
anchor

Pursuing M. Arch. I if you already have B. Arch.

_WTP

Hello to all,

I live in NYC and have a B. Arch. I dream of attending Columbia for a Master's (for 75% personal fulfillment, 25% career prospect enhancement) but, to my knowledge, they only have an M. Arch. I program. 

Is it unheard of to attend an M. Arch I program rather than an M. Arch. II if you have a B. Arch. already? 

If this has been discussed already then I apologize. Any guidance is most graciously appreciated. Also, please correct me if I'm grossly misinformed.

Feb 25, 13 6:14 pm
observant

It has been discussed, but that's ok.  Sometimes, what happens is that a person goes to a B.Arch. or M.Arch. that was NOT their first choice, or their second, for that matter.  That 1 year M.Arch., which need not be accredited, might be ok for a person who "got their act together" and did really well in school, and can use that short M.Arch. as a "union card" in a region or city.  Guilty as charged.  I felt like doing the same, and feel confident I would have gotten in.  I did NOT do it.  You have to propose a curriculum and area of emphasis, justifying why they should make space for you.  I would have liked to take more theoretical courses in that extra year, had I done it.

Feb 25, 13 7:12 pm  · 
 · 
_WTP

I was thinking more along the lines of circumstance. I would like to go to Columbia in general, it is not a fallback/2nd choice, etc.

My concern is that a true "Master's in Architecture" degree from Columbia is something I think is reserved for those who do not have a professional degree already. I am trying to draw a comparison between something like Yale or Harvard ( a true M. Arch II, second professional degree) and Columbia in terms of their programs.

So, since I would like to study further, obtain a master's degree, and forge ahead professionally thereafter, is it unheard of to apply to an M. Arch. I program with my B. Arch? Am I pursuing the same degree twice?

My colleagues that attended did the MSAAD degree. Is anyone here familiar with that program?

Feb 26, 13 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: