Archinect
anchor

Dell XPS 15

Archi49

I am an architecture student looking to get a laptop for under $2000. I need something that will last me for about 5 years. I was looking into the Dell XPS 15 and it seemed pretty good but want to verify it. I was also looking at the Dell Precision m4700, or Macbook Pro, or something from the Alienware series. I'm reserved about the Precision because of the bulkiness of it and don't like the idea of using bootcamp on the Mac. I need to be able to render and use programs such as Rhino, V-Ray, AutoCAD, Illustrator, Sketchup, 3DS, Revit, and Ecotect. 

The specs are:

3rd Gen Intel Core i7 3632 processor

8GB

NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M with 2GB GDDR VRAM

8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600 Mz

I know the video card, processor, and RAM are important for rendering. Do you think this will be fine for just a student laptop to last 5 years?

Feb 3, 13 3:27 pm
LITS4FormZ

If you search this forum for "Dell XPS 15" you will find your answer. 

Feb 3, 13 4:45 pm  · 
 · 
thakopian

3 years. At that point your laptop will either have degraded performance or the software will require better specs to run effectively. I wouldn't drop a lot of money as everyone in arch school gets at least 2 laptops in 5 years. Happened to me. XPS 15 with a quality processor, a good display will give you a good bang for your buck. I'm typing this to you on my xps 15 from 2011 right now.

at about $1200 you should be able to afford it or something suitable. Anymore than that and you probably have features you don't need. And like LITS said, this can be researched in the forum as I have seen it pop up before.

Feb 4, 13 1:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: