Archinect
anchor

Can anyone guess this building?

david111780

Can anyone guess which building this is?

Feb 1, 13 3:19 pm
observant

Can you give us more than that?  It's eclectic.  It's not standard Renaissance or Baroque.  I'd be wiling to bet it's in North America, though.  There's no crucifix at the top, so I'm guessing it's either an academic or a civic building.  I know we won't find out until more posts come through.

I like the "lattice work" inside the openings.

Feb 1, 13 4:08 pm  · 
 · 

observant your point about the crucifix is a good one, but to me the weight of it says Europe or even Central America.

Feb 1, 13 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Donna:

If it is in Europe, it will be north of the Alps, and maybe even north of the English Channel!  I quickly glanced for some Sir Christopher Wren stuff and St. Paul's Cathedral reliably comes up, but no cigar on that one.  He inspired quite a bit of work on this side of the pond, even in Charleston SC and elsewhere in the colonial South/Middle Atlantic area.  The alternating bands, with inset brick, eliminates a lot of places in Latin America, I would think.  The compositions in Latin America seem more monolithic, as least as far as cladding goes. The small picture doesn't clue us in to the bond pattern, which might be helpful.* The "wild card" is the unusual lattice screen for the arched openings.  I've seen some campus buildings that look like that, but one doesn't come to mind.

*  if it were one of the more "exotic" bonds described, then it could be Benelux or the UK.

http://homercgodfrey.com/HCG/Brick_Information,_Bond_Patterns,_Drawings_files/photo-brick-wall-bonds.jpg

Feb 1, 13 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Qubec City, Canada......would be my guess.

Feb 1, 13 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
observant

The style seems closest to English Baroque, but whether it's from that place and/or period is hard to tell.

I see ... a fusion of Baroque architecture with English elements and building materials preferred by the English.  Is this style only prevalent in Europe (England) or was it also exported?  If so, which places elsewhere in the world favored that style for their buildings? 

Feb 1, 13 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I don't know how long we'll have to wait, but I'm starting to think it's an actual campus building for a school of architecture somewhere in the Anglo-centric world.

Feb 2, 13 12:59 am  · 
 · 

That would be funny, observant.

David, you're killing us here.  What is it?  I think it must be from a warm-weather climate.  it looks central or South American Baroque to me.

Feb 2, 13 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
adora

It looks English. I'd say it is one of the colonial buildings in Hong Kong or Singapore.

Feb 2, 13 5:48 pm  · 
 · 

Frank Furness left all these in the dust. That's my take.

Feb 2, 13 8:57 pm  · 
 · 
Patrickdcorrigan

It's the Ellis Building, isn't it? 

Feb 2, 13 9:08 pm  · 
 · 
Patrickdcorrigan

Ellis Island building, that is.

Feb 2, 13 9:19 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Yeah, it looks like Ellis Island it is - a civic building in the American Northeast

Good going, Patrick, what are we going to get you for a prize?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Ellis_island_immigration_museum_entrance.JPG

Feb 2, 13 9:47 pm  · 
 · 

Nice job, Patrick!!

Feb 2, 13 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: