Archinect
anchor

(WWMVDRD) What would Mies Van der Rohe Drive?

Mr_Moghonaba

I'm a big fan of Mie's work, if he was still alive today, what kind of car do you think he would drive? 

Oct 21, 12 3:51 pm
drums please, Fab?

maybe maybach ..

Oct 21, 12 11:02 pm  · 
 · 

1968 Quasar Unipower

Oct 22, 12 1:00 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

We can be pretty sure that Mies would never deign to drive himself.

Oct 22, 12 2:29 am  · 
 · 
a mouse

He'd drive a Saab '95 like every other fucking architect.

Oct 22, 12 3:03 am  · 
 · 
*your name

His driver's licence would be taken away for drunk driving.

Oct 22, 12 3:34 am  · 
 · 
raymonde

It is a fact that Mies never had a driver's license and would most likely not be interested in answering such a mundane and materialistic question if posed to him.

Oct 22, 12 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

yes but WHAT IF?!?  (mies not materialistic el oh el!)

and mouse, mies is not like 'every other fucking architect'.

sheesh!  MIES!!!

Oct 22, 12 11:58 pm  · 
 · 

Mies owned a pale yellow Oldsmobile. I believe his son-in-law Dirk Lohan drove for him. His 'taste' in objects seemed to be along the lines of elegant simplicity. His self-designed gravestone is a simple stone horizontal slab. 

eric chavkin

Oct 23, 12 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

There's an elegant simplicity in the way he inserted the IIT campus in Chicago.  Less is more, unless it's a community of humans.

Oct 23, 12 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

...way to completely ignore the question and say the same thing you've been saying in 7000 different ways Thayer..congrats.

and mouse...i don't think i know a single architect who drives a saab

Oct 23, 12 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
Permit

Didn't he live in a turn of the century residence rather than something modern? If he were alive today and had to trade in his yellow olds I bet he would go for something like a Lincoln.

Oct 24, 12 1:10 am  · 
 · 
mdler

unimog

Oct 24, 12 1:20 am  · 
 · 
raymonde

@eric Dirk lohan is mies' grandson... @permit mies lived in an apartment in a four or five story building, in front of a small park, and which had no doorman.

Oct 24, 12 5:32 am  · 
 · 

Thanks Raymonde. Never met Lohan. Never met Mies (too young) but he was a topic of conversation as my wife's ex-inlaws built many of his buildings in Chicago.

Oct 24, 12 6:50 am  · 
 · 
Thayer-D

I'm sorry Lars, I don't mean to bore you or ignore the question.  I think Mies would drive the 1968 Quasar Unipower pictured above.  That's a funny picture!

Oct 24, 12 8:15 am  · 
 · 

Probably a chaffered Mercedes S-Class.  Or maybe a Rolls-Royce?

I've no idea, yo!

Oct 25, 12 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
SDR

The Weekend Mies.  Thanks, mdler.

http://www.4x4offroads.com/1955-unimog-411.html

Yes, that's him.  Picture a stogie in left hand.

Oct 25, 12 8:59 pm  · 
 · 

@evan is that some sort of pope mobile? very miesian ...

Oct 29, 12 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: