Archinect
anchor

Chicago massing/base map needed.

lp

Hello architects-
Can someone please share a dwg file of downtown Chicago with me? I am a thesis student in Boston at the BAC and am seeking a 3D sketchup massing or 2d line drawing of the streets and building footprints around Michigan Ave/Columbus Ave. and the river. I've been tracing a map in AutoCAD line by line and its driving me nuts. I know many firms have developed projects downtown and was hoping someone would be kind enough to send me a decent dwg or other CAD format to use as a base map. This is in no way going to be used for commercial purposes, just for my own academic investigation. E-mail me if you want to talk in person about it.
Thanks.

PS. rumor has it there is a fantastic 3D sketchup model of Chicago produced by SOM floating around out there. If anyone has access to this data can you please share it with me. Much love in advance.
william.patterson@the-bac.edu

Oct 30, 06 9:32 am
Anonymous

I just sent you a 3D CAD file that should be easy for you to export to whatever program you're using. If the file is too large let me know if you have a gmail account or something else I can upload it to.

Lucky for you it's such a nice day here in New York, clear blue skies and more importantly just got a pain in the ass project out the door an hour ago and I'm in a great mood now. Enjoy.

Oct 30, 06 2:06 pm  · 
 · 
lp

Hi my silly .edu e-mail bounces back large files. Would you mind sending it to leopatterson@gmail.com
Thank you thank you thank you.

Oct 30, 06 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Bobruns

Hello there,

My studio this semester at Virginia Tech has our site in the Financial District of Chicago off of Congress Parkway. Would it be possible to have these files as well. Any dwg or 3ds files would be great and/ or diagrams. Thank you.

Bobby Vance
bobruns@comcast.net

Jan 21, 11 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
deepervantes

I would the most grateful if you could pass on the file. I have my final degree project due in a week and would be great to have a clean file. my address as427 AT bath.co.uk

cheers

May 21, 11 11:29 am  · 
 · 
lh87

hello,

Im a student at the AA and doing my project in Near North Side of Chicago, is it possible to send me the CAD file? lynhayek@gmail.com

thanks

Oct 19, 11 6:27 am  · 
 · 
arch2011

could i also get this file please? im also a student working on a project in downtown chicago and i would really appreciate it, ccacciab[at]student.norwich.edu

Oct 19, 11 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
AlexM

I would also appreciate the Chicago CAD file. Does it include Wicker Park? Thanks in advance!

alexandermega[at]gmail.com

Nov 7, 11 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
whitelle

hi! arch student as well. I would really, really, really appreciate the 3D file...

whitelle@umich.edu 

thanks so much

Mar 3, 12 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
dzielin2

Hi I am an architecture student currently working on a project in the Streeterville area in Chicago, I would really appreciate it if you could send me the 3D file....

Thanks

dzielin2@gmail.com

Apr 1, 12 12:06 am  · 
 · 
mattjayrodgers

Could someone out there send that map to me as well. I am an architecture student working on a project and could really use this map. PLEASE... Thanks

Mattjayrodgers@gmail.com

Nov 25, 12 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
dcorbum

Hi, I am an architecture student as well and would like the Chicago CAD file, too. Specifially one that has the Uptown/Edgewater neighborhoods (northern Chicago) on it. If anyone has this please send it to me!

Thanks!

dkmorris@uwm.edu

Dec 29, 12 10:42 am  · 
 · 
abair

Hi,  

Would anyone be able to pass the Chicago CAD file to me as well?  Specifically looking for the area surrounding Grant Park with a focus on the South End.

Thanks.

ambair@gmail.com

Jan 21, 13 2:25 am  · 
 · 

Hello, Is any of you so kind to share the chicago plan cad file with me as well? I also need it for a university project! thanks so much! eugenia.macchia@gmail.com thanks a lot!

Apr 18, 13 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
BattagliaChris

Hey guys, does anyone still have this Autocad file they can share with me. My new studio project is in Chicago and I cant find a file anywhere. Thanks! battagliac@wit.edu

May 23, 13 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
miarqjosesoares

Well I´m with the same problem.... In order to finish my work (about Mies) I need that file... If anybody still has one... please... please i would appreciate the offer for life!

miarqjosesoares@gmail.com

Jun 12, 13 10:34 am  · 
 · 
jmnye11

Hi! I would love to have a 3d model of downtown to help as well - I've been trying to build a downtown city model in sketchup using building maker but find it frustrating as lack of detail... thanks! jeremynye@gmail.com

Aug 22, 13 10:58 am  · 
 · 
gwharton
cjp5214

Hello, I'm doing my thesis based in Chicago, I haven't found a decent plan or model of it that is easily obtainable. I'd greatly appreciate if someone could provide me both a CAD plan and 3D model! Or one or the other, but I really need something. Thanks so much. cjp5214@gmail.com

Sep 10, 13 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
elliott302@gmail.com

Wondering if this post is still alive, If so, any site/massing files anyone has of Chicago, particularly South Side, would be most appreciated

Studio project involves a site located at E 63rd St and S Cottage Grove Ave (Where green line terminates) (41.782641,-87.606103).

If anyone can help an arch student out, it would be much appreciated. I emailed a contact from CMAP and I will continue to follow that lead aswell.

If anyone wants any further information on the project or to send files please email me at elliott302@gmail.com

Thanks

-James

Jan 13, 14 5:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Lazy students

Jan 13, 14 10:51 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Yeah. Lazy. You all should be taking time out of your day (and night) that could be used to design your project to scour the internet for a cad file (or better yet build one from scratch to learn your place, you future worthless intern peons) instead of asking on a website. You might save a day or two if it pans out, you lazy bastards.

Jan 14, 14 8:58 am  · 
 · 
lolainrainbows

Hi, I'm an italian student and I need the Chicago Map for a Composition Work. I really appreciate if someone send me the file. 

lallasorano@gmail.com

Mar 11, 15 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
jesneyli

HI there, Im a student from the Cooper Union, I really REALLY need the map of whole Chicago for my thesis, CAD plan and 3D file PLEASE!! will be much appreciate if someone can help me out!! 

jesney216@gmail.com

Jun 22, 15 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ Lazy student

Jun 22, 15 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
fechtel

https://cadmapper.com/

Jun 22, 15 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
filippoamoretti

Hi there! I join the plea for the Chicago dwg map, i'm in the middle of my thesis at Politecnico di Milano in which I analyze the cities of Milano, Chicago and Seoul. I think it's pretty useless to tell you that redrawing all of them it's gonna cost me a couple of years ;) I beg someone to, please, share the file with me, you're gonna have a special place in my heart forever! Thanks everyone! Email: filippoamoretti@gmail.com

PS: I've already redrawn Milano, if anyone has a Seoul map i'll make him a statue!

Thanks,

Filippo

Jun 23, 15 11:24 am  · 
 · 
romandeweijer

Hey can you send me the model too? I'm doing a research for my study on typologies within city blocks and this would speed up my process a lot! My e-mail is romandeweijer@gmail.com

Sep 25, 15 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
ivorykeyboard

https://www.openstreetmap.org

Export .osm

import in rhino via Elk

http://www.food4rhino.com/project/elk?ufh

jesus do you guys not know how to use google?

Sep 28, 15 11:11 am  · 
 · 
romandeweijer

That shit don't create 3d buildings in their supposed height. The file would help incredibly

Sep 28, 15 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ lazy student

Sep 29, 15 12:10 am  · 
 · 
chutpach

Hi there, 

I'm working on an art project for which I am trying to capture the shadows caught by chicago buildings.  Could you send me the 3D CAD file of Chicago?  I'd be willing to credit you on the project. 

May 23, 16 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
cristianandrésyugsidíaz

The easiest way to do this would be by using gsi. City of chicago has curve data and you can link that to height from building data. If you load both file to rhino and use grasshopper (curve as geometry and use  building height as excel that is linked to the geometry) you can extrude the geometry to match the height of buildings. 

Jul 19, 16 10:37 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ too much work.  Students today just want the work done for them and free.

Jul 19, 16 10:47 am  · 
 · 
tessneemelkhateeb

Hi there! I'm an architecture student, designing a building in Chicago near Navy Pier and I have tried to rebuild the a Chicago model and I'm struggling! Could you please send me the model of the city of chicago as well? Thank you!!! 

My email: malletesque@gmail.com

Sep 13, 16 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Stop being such a lazy student.

Sep 13, 16 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
PeterK

Hi,

I am an architecture student from Europe and looking for the area near Navy Pier, too. (The former Calatrava site at 400 North Lake Shore Drive and its surroundings). 

Would anyone be able to pass the Chicago CAD file to me as well?  

Thanks.

klaus_peter10@yahoo.de

Oct 22, 16 10:18 am  · 
 · 
danielsmith

Is anybody feeling generous enough to share the 3D Model of Chicago with me? I'm an architecture student involved in a competition and it's happening too FAST for me to construct this one myself.

Thanks!

dsmith2589@gmail.com

Jan 14, 17 11:18 pm  · 
 · 

So that's where uli is this year...

Jan 15, 17 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
omag

Hello! I was hoping that someone could send me the 3D model of Chicago. I am having a hard time finding it online. 

Thanks!

olivia.magalhaes4 @ gmail.com

Jan 15, 17 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
tomushakov

Hi there! Could anyone also share the map with me I really need it for my project!! Thank you so much in advance.

Would be very appreciated 

tomushakov98@gmail.com

Jan 22, 18 9:55 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Send me $14 and I'll show you where to get it.

Jan 22, 18 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

Do people even read the comments?

Jan 22, 18 12:54 pm  · 
 · 

Send them a CAD file of Milwaukee and see if they notice the difference.

Jan 22, 18 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
Abskon

Hi there,

Can somebody share with me the 3D map of Chicago city to abskon_bmw@hotmail.com

Thanks

May 8, 19 6:56 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I have one. It is really good. It has all buildings over 8 stories modeled in 3d and the rest mapped with both lot and building outlines.

May 8, 19 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
elizabeth_

Could I get that as well?

May 27, 19 7:08 pm  · 
 · 
elizabeth_

Hi there,

I am in my final year of architecture graduate school. Would anyone be willing to share a 3d map of Chicago?

lizzytar@hotmail.com

Thank you!!

-Elizabeth

May 24, 19 9:13 am  · 
 · 
poop876

200 dollars via PayPal and I'll send it to you. 

May 28, 19 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I’ll send one for $201.

May 28, 19 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Can we get a super spam sign-up for these email addresses, please?

May 28, 19 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've tried that before... not sure if it was successful.

May 28, 19 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
not_ted_mosby

I'm sure cadmapper has Chicago files...

Jun 5, 19 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
randomised

logged in just to mark ^  as spam...anyways for all that are looking for the Chicago file and can handle .eps files: Chicago base map

Jun 30, 19 1:42 am  · 
 · 
namanjohnson

hello everyone,

Hi, would it be possible to send me the file too? I'm also doing my thesis in a architecture and finding it extremely difficult looking for a plan of the goose Island area. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

thanks and regards

Oct 22, 19 5:40 am  · 
 · 
moidali

Hello! I also wanted to ask if I could get access to the file? Thanks!

Jul 8, 20 2:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: