Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

mantaray

Sarah this may be of timely interest to you:

A Premature Obituary Can Be A Sweet If Strange Gift

The author, Scott Simon, recently dealt with the passing of his own mother in a sweet and thoughtful way.

Dec 6, 14 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
I critiqued at Ball State on Friday. Quite sophisticated work for students in their first real building design studio ever. One of the students later told the professor they think I 'dress really well' LOL it made my day! I do make an effort to consider my outfits whenever I critique!
Dec 7, 14 11:27 am  · 
 · 

Archinect is burning.

Dec 8, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Won't be long before that thread is another boycott-Israel type thread. Seems to be heading in that direction already.
Dec 8, 14 9:45 am  · 
 · 

hey TC!

speaking of shirts thinking of buying/requesting this one as a gift... Does that make me a nerd?

Dec 8, 14 10:04 am  · 
 · 
Nam, I don't understand that shirt, so does that make ME a nerd?
Dec 8, 14 10:14 am  · 
 · 

It is a joke/reference to the Dune series, by Frank Herbert...

Dec 8, 14 10:24 am  · 
 · 

Ah.  Yeah, I never really got into that series.  I was a big Tolkien fan, though - of the books, that is.  Only saw one of the movies.

Dec 8, 14 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Nam, this one would make you a nerd.

SNL nailed the new Star Wars the other night.

Dec 8, 14 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Like whisky?

Spirits firm causes stir by selling Turkish tea cups as ‘the perfect whisky glass’

Scientific proof of the product. Btw, you can mail order these from a Turkish vendor a lot cheaper.

Dec 8, 14 3:55 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Orhan, those types of glasses have been around the scotch tasting world for quite some time but I've never seen one without the little feet. I prefer my slightly curved glasses, just hold the ice.

Dec 8, 14 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Nice glass, though I prefer to cup a larger glass to roll the ice around.  Bummer if it offends people - looks nice for tea though.

Dec 8, 14 4:27 pm  · 
 · 

Who needs a glass? I just chug from the bottle. 

Dec 8, 14 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Donna, I totally understand the outfit buzz. I've had several students tell me I always look like I "make an effort" (comment from a boy) and that my "shoes are always on point," (from a girl). Makes me just a bit giddy.
Dec 8, 14 10:32 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
Last summer, I saw a shirt that said "I've got 99 problems, but Calc ain't Tan 45 degrees"
Dec 8, 14 11:11 pm  · 
 · 

I just bought Angus a shirt for Christmas with a cartoon Planet Earth and the phrase: Keep Earth clean, it's not Uranus. He will love it.

Orhan, I was listening to the Maron podcast WTF with Chrissie Hynde as the guest (she is so amazing, OMG, love her) and Maron was going on and on about his addictions which include coffee.  It made me think about how when coffee drinking became popular in the US we had to turn it into a pathology, like it's huge addicting problem that people need a cup or two or three of coffee every day or else they get a headache.  But cultures in Turkey and Italy have been drinking/addicted to coffee for eons and they have never needed to focus on the addiction aspect of it, am I right? Is it just that USians are at Puritan and need to focus on the evil?

Dec 8, 14 11:18 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Met the L.A, architect Hagy Belzberg last night. Really nice guy who showed some very thoughtful work. Spoke to him after the lecture and he said that his office reads Archinect daily. Here's a link to a lecture from a couple of years back....http://archinect.com/SAIDhappenings/mitigating-complexity

Dec 10, 14 9:46 am  · 
 · 

My presentation on tactical urbanism and changes to licensing status of architects that I presented at our AIA local conference has been accepted for presentation at the 2015 AIA national convention in Atlanta. Woot! I'm excited!

Dec 10, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

Great!

Dec 10, 14 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Does that mean you have to go to Atlanta?
Dec 10, 14 1:21 pm  · 
 · 

GET to go, Sarah, GET to go (actually I don;t know anything about Atlanta except I've been trough the airport many times.  But I've heard it has some cool stuff and there are a few Archinecters there that I know!)

Dec 10, 14 1:34 pm  · 
 · 

Nice, Donna.

Isn't Brad Pitt scheduled as the keynote speaker?

Dec 10, 14 2:03 pm  · 
 · 

Good lord I hope so, Miles.

Dec 10, 14 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

look at that watch he's wearing

and what's up with the lumber running horizontally across the picture?  i'm not sure what the design is supposed to be, but i would think those should line up?

do you suppose he goes to a construction site and tells the contractor what to do, or do you suppose he knows enough to do what the contractor tells him to do?

Dec 10, 14 2:55 pm  · 
 · 

He can come to my site and tell me what to do anytime.

Dec 10, 14 3:03 pm  · 
 · 

I've never seen a framer wearing a Rolex. Look how he's all choked up on that brand new little Mickey Mouse hammer. My daughter's playschool tool set had a bigger stick than that.

But if that's a Habitat for Humanity house he's volunteering on, kudos to him.

Dec 10, 14 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I think he is giving directions to the camera man....

Dec 10, 14 8:15 pm  · 
 · 

You guys, he's building houses in the Lower Ninth Ward post-Katrina.  You've heard of Project Pink, etc., the work he's doing in New Orleans and now I think in Camden too? For heaven's sake, stop snarking on Brad - he's a hot babe AND a philanthropist.

Dec 10, 14 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i commend mr. pitt for his philanthropic work and his proclivity towards personal aesthetics.
still not the right watch for the job he's doing

Dec 10, 14 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

so sorry Donna....It looked a lot more likely than  swinging a hammer.  Hats off to the old boy! 

Dec 10, 14 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

That's a pretty weak hammer he's holding.

Dec 11, 14 8:37 am  · 
 · 

He's got nothing to prove with his hammer size, I am confident.

Dec 11, 14 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Is that eyewear OSHA compliant?
Dec 11, 14 9:56 am  · 
 · 

In Brad's defense, it's not the size of the hammer that matters but hitting the right spot. 

Dec 11, 14 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
That picture is amazing, and I'm loving all the hammer comments. Thank you.

I sort of wish you guys were all here right now. I feel like I need to be doing something, but I don't know what that should be, and I desperately want to do the right thing. And I'm finding myself more and more just talking to people as if they know the context of my thoughts. Sorry. Dad is nearing the end, and I'm at his house. Do I put up the Christmas tree? He may not make it through the weekend, and then the tree will be up f
Dec 11, 14 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
For no reason. But by not putting it up, am I dooming him to die sooner than later?

See, this is how confused my mind is. I always thought I'd be a great boss/leader, but right now I just want to be told what to do.
Dec 11, 14 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Sarah the answer is in your own words. Put the tree up. It is not "for no reason", it is for the reason to enjoy the tree.

Sorry to hear about your dad. 

Dec 11, 14 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

Agree with tint. 

My MIL allowed me to put up her little tabletop tree this weekend and it was a good decision. She is likely heading in to full-time inpatient hospice this weekend - we are also in a very fluid, constantly changing state with her.  Sarah, I'm finding comfort in the challenge of this knowing that every human has to face death of their loved ones, and it's the circle of life. It will all be OK, eventually.  Maybe sad, and hard, and frustrating and tear-inducing, but it will eventually be ok.

Dec 11, 14 3:40 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Sarah,

Make a couple of you awe inspiring decorations!  I'm sure he will enjoy seeing you do something that makes you happy!  Then hang them on the Tree.

Dec 11, 14 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
That's the thing, Snook, he can't even get out of bed to see it. After Tint's instruction, I went and got the tree. Its so stupid, but I can't even figure out how to open the box. Do I cut the duct tape with scissors, or peel it carefully away. I'm paralyzed by this. It's just a stupid box, and I KNOW it's just a stupid box. Why can't I just make a decision? There's no right or wrong way, yet I'm still afraid I'm going to mess it up. So stupid. And it's kinda like when you're pregnancy hormones send you off the rails. You know you shouldn't be crying/yelling because the tv remote is missing/ice cream carton only has a scoop left, and yet, you can't stop yourself.

For fuck's sake, IT'S JUST DUCT TAPE!! I'm being an idiot. And I feel so incompetent.
Dec 11, 14 4:11 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, find a place to sit quietly and just breathe for 20 minutes - it will help you tremendously.

Dec 11, 14 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Hell of a thing helping someone die, been though it twice, nothing you are experiencing is out of the ordinary – prayers to you.

Dec 11, 14 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

maybe put a small tree with some lights in your dad's room so he can kind of be involved in the holiday spirit?  one of my last memories of my mom was putting peonies from her garden in her room to kind of bring in a touch of home.

Dec 11, 14 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Sarah, although I don't know you, I've read through your posts and they hit home for me. My wife lost her mother at a young age (and her father at an even younger age) and she uses the decorating of our house as therapy. Every year. At first it was hard but now, years later, she looks forward to carefully  putting those little trinkets here and there.

The point being, hang in there and settle down those nerves. Also, leaving only one scoop of ice-cream IS totally something worth crying about.

Dec 11, 14 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
....he's gone. I never put the tree up. Never got past the damn duct tape. Feel like maybe if I'd gotten it up he would've hung on.
Dec 11, 14 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

sorry sarah.  my thoughts will be with you and your family.

Dec 11, 14 8:19 pm  · 
 · 

There can't possibly be a better way to go than quietly at home with your loved ones.

Peace be with you.

Dec 11, 14 8:33 pm  · 
 · 

they never go permanently sarah. once the shock and unfamiliarity of physical absence wears off, loved ones return in most beautiful ways. just so you know kid... 

Dec 11, 14 8:49 pm  · 
 · 

^ Truth. 

Dec 11, 14 9:06 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah, your analogy to those crazy-making pregnancy hormones is SPOT ON. Emotions are powerful things with physical results. Don't beat yourself up over the damned duct tape, we've all been there.

I'm so sorry he's gone. I do believe Orhan's words, he's not really gone and never will be, but you won't have his physical presence and that is painful like a wound. Hug your boy and tell him often about his awesome grandfather.
Dec 11, 14 10:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: