Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

toasteroven

twitter - if you follow the right people - it's actually a great way to keep up with things that you care about.  mostly people I follow post links to articles and their own blog/site when they update - plus a lot of local agencies around here use it to post abbreviated meeting minutes as things are happening - and there are "tweet chats" with public figures... it's pretty interesting.

May 17, 14 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

vacant pontiac silverdome

May 17, 14 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

We listed the house officially today at 11:30.  We've already had two showings!  How many showings do you typically go through before it sells?  Anybody do this before?

May 19, 14 4:29 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Sarah -- you should be pleased by the number of showings so quickly after the listing became effective. Your question depends, I think, on many variables - not the least of which are the time of year and the state of your local real estate market.

We just closed on the sale of our home last week - but it was first listed around Thanksgiving of last year. We had beastly weather in our market for the first 4-months our home was on the market. We did have lots of showings (and many positive comments) but nobody really got interested until the weather improved and the feel of spring was in the air.

Good luck.

May 19, 14 6:34 pm  · 
 · 

hi TC! i am going to CA for the holiday weekend! a friends wedding + the bay area!

May 20, 14 8:53 pm  · 
 · 

Well housing sales are on fire here, Sarah, I hope yours moves quickly if you want it to.  We had scheduled going to see one this evening: a tiny, 2-bedroom, wacky cottage set waaaay back on the lot in a desirable neighborhood.  My plan was to buy it and live in the cottage while finally building my own design on the front of the site.  Got a text from my realtor at noon that the house sold this morning - it was just listed last Friday!

May 20, 14 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Oh, Donna, that is sad for you.

I don't know if I want the house to move quickly, or not.  I mean, its great if it does, but I don't get to stop working until June 18th, so it would be a mad rush to find a place, get packed and move.

May 21, 14 12:41 pm  · 
 · 

Donna, you can always try to break the deal with a higher bid. Happens all the time, it's called gazump.

May 21, 14 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Sarah, I sold house number one in 3 months. Felt like forever. It was a tough neighborhood, but a cute house. We got more than it was worth probably. 

House number 2 sold in 2 weeks, and we felt good about the price (more than the ask). 

In both cases, we had great realtors and nice houses. I suspect that underpricing a house will make it move faster, but who knows.

In other news (bad) my curmudgeonly but beloved uncle has died. The news (good) is that my cousin has asked me to renovate uncles' Eichler home so it stays in the family. I'm pretty stoked about this project. Most of my work is not fit for the portfolio (zoning variances anyone?), so it'll be nice to have something with a bit of architectural character. I hope that my aunties' 1950's VW bug is still parked in front of the house, so maybe it can get renovated along with the house :)

May 21, 14 1:40 pm  · 
 · 

@Miles love "gazump" what a sound/word.

May 21, 14 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like a cool project to be in on, gruen!

Travel safe, Nam. I'm headed up to Traverse City, home of two awesome shoe stores (really!) and a winery that makes delicious Michigan faux-grappa.

May 22, 14 8:52 am  · 
 · 

thanks Donna you too!

May 22, 14 9:22 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Thanks Donna. A good friend of mine lives in TC. 

Google street view shows the VW beetle (looks like 1960-66 vintage, so maybe I'm a couple years off, but it probably matches the house vintage :) I love old beetles...

May 22, 14 9:27 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Donna,

My fiance and I have been looking at houses also. We have been beaten by people paying $40k+ over asking price on the two houses we have made offers on thus far. 

I feel another housing bubble/ bust coming in the next 5 years.

May 22, 14 9:36 am  · 
 · 
gruen

Don't know where you are looking but around Boston house flipping is in full swing again. 

May 22, 14 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Yep, it's in full swing here in Naptown again too. Also I;m sad that we're seeing the "Oak Park" phenomenon of people buying a tiny historic house and tearing it down to build a steroidally-puffed up faux-historic house that maxes out lot coverage.  Ugh.

May 22, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 

Surprised to see that the fire at the Mac is not already a top story! Are we all just too stunned?

It's a tragedy and probably the biggest architectural loss in recent memory - even if it turns out not to be a complete loss. Any room of that place is/was a treasure.  

May 23, 14 11:43 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/05/23/mackintoshs-glasgow-school-of-art-on-fire/

How tragic .. and sad.

May 23, 14 11:51 am  · 
 · 
3tk

good god, that's a tragedy beyond words...

May 23, 14 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Jesus, we got a cash offer on the house for 1,000 less than listed.  We have to be out by June 22!  Talk about stressful.  How am I supposed to get ten years of living boxed up by then?  Where am I gonna put it all?  I don't even have a place to move into yet!  AHHHH!

May 23, 14 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Wow, that was fast! Good luck with the move.

May 23, 14 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Sarah -- if the house is that attractive to potential buyers, you probably don't have to accept all the terms and conditions offered. Decide how much time you need to find a new place and accomplish your move in a reasonably manner -- then try to work out a closing date with the potential Buyer that makes sense for you.

It sounds like you live in a "seller's market" - use that to your advantage. If this buyer doesn't work out, there'll probably be another one along soon.

May 23, 14 1:03 pm  · 
 · 
I'm sick to my stomach over Glasgow School of Art. Tragic.
May 23, 14 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Maybe.  But we're selling the house 'As Is' which meant we'd have to have a cash buyer.  It's all so scary, you know?  You want to make the right choice, but you don't want to miss out, and who's to say if another offer is coming or not?  It's terrifying.  What if we say yes, and then another offer comes through?

Donna, on your Glasgow thing, I really don't know what it is, or what was lost.  Is it a museum or an actual school?

May 23, 14 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

Sarah - It's a school and a masterpiece by Mackintosh, see quizzical's link above (and now in the news section).  The interior work was magical, they just redid the library recently, I think.

May 23, 14 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

sarah - if you're going to re-list your house, get some nicely staged photos.  

Here are some good examples.

May 25, 14 1:19 pm  · 
 · 

Sarah, one of the best things about moving is lightening your load.

Have a yard sale, put the remainders in goodwill, book and clothing drops and a dumpster. You'll feel much better afterwards. Kind of like taking a big dump.

You'll have less stuff to move and unpack.

May 25, 14 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Wow, toast. Some of those are terrifying!

Miles, I'm hoping to have a yard sale, but not sure we will have the time. Have to be out by the 22 of June. I will donate the things that don't sell.

But some things are hard to toss. Like all the scrap wood in the garage, or the duvet that we've only used once when the power went out during that ice storm, but still, WHAT IF WE NEED IT?!!!

Do I sell the crockpot that I suck at using? Everything I try to make in a crockpot turns out tough and overcooked. What if I have to attend a potluck?

Of course, husband wants to toss it all and start over.
May 25, 14 6:14 pm  · 
 · 

I'm with him. Less is more.

May 25, 14 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

You all should be proud.  After 8 years, I FINALLY tossed my structures and environmental systems notes.  It wasn't easy, but I closed my eyes, held my breath, and let it go.  Damn.  What if I need to know how to calculate the load on a concrete footing?  What if I need to calculate the throw of the foot candles of a sodium-metal halide parabolic lamp?

I also managed to "secretly" toss ALL the McDonalds quality toys that we have accumulated over the years.  

May 27, 14 10:42 am  · 
 · 

Sarah, the first thing is a big milestone, but frankly I'm totally envious of the McDonald's toys all being gone.  Purge!!

May 27, 14 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Well, I'm about to toss my HP Deskjet 9800d. All I need to do is find a second floor from which to hurl it.

May 27, 14 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

jw468 - why not go 'Office Space' on it?

May 27, 14 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I haven't seen Office Space, so I had to google it, but that's a very appealing idea.

May 27, 14 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
Office Space is a great movie. Speaking of great movies, I just got back from the Naptown special preview screening of The Fault In Our Stars. Excellent book, excellent movie, wonderful evening.
May 27, 14 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I don't know if anyone else is surprised at how far Houston has come in the past few years.  If only the rest of Texas would catch up...

May 28, 14 9:48 pm  · 
 · 

hi TC. hope all is well. CA was a blast and my current status is Burnout- how do you manage it for yourself?

luckily the deadline/go-live is in sight...

May 28, 14 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Houston sucks.  What did they do, Toast?

May 29, 14 9:03 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

Houston Article

still not quite as progressive as Austin, but it's a tremendous shift.

May 29, 14 10:22 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

and there's also stuff like this

May 29, 14 10:49 am  · 
 · 

"Supporters...cheered each other with silent applause."

Love this idea. Love it!

May 29, 14 11:43 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

All our elementary schools do the silent applause.

May 29, 14 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
OH MY GOD you guys NOT EVEN KIDDING I *just* got an audit letter in the mail from my state Board! They randomly selected me to verify I'm meeting my CEU requirements, as they do!!!

I'm honest kinda panicked about it!!
May 29, 14 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

are you up to date?

that reminds me - economy must be better because product reps are handing out toys at the lunch and learns again - I haven't seen that in about 7 or 8 years.

May 29, 14 8:57 pm  · 
 · 

OK so part of why I'm panicked is the letter I got today says "Enclosed is a copy of the letter we mailed you two months ago.  We have not heard from you.  You have 14 days to respond."

I SWEAR I never received a first letter! I would never toss out mail from the IPLA (licensing agency).

And it's confusing: The initial letter asks for CEUs from the date range 1 January 2011 - 31 December 2013.  The second letter asks for the date range 1 December 2011 - 31 December 2013.  So which is it?!

Not that it matters, unfortunately, because I don't have enough units for either of those date ranges.  Dang.

But if you shift the two-year date range to be 2013 and 2014 - which we're only halfway through - I have WAY over the required amount.  I've been to two conferences already this year.

Crap.  What a hassle this is going to be.

May 29, 14 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Donna -- you may want to look at my response to your identical audit post in the "being a member of the AIA" thread.

May 29, 14 10:11 pm  · 
 · 

That's what I just did, quizzical.  Went to AIA and filtered by both of the date ranges the State's letters requested.

I also identified the problem: my transcript shows NO CEUs for 2012.  But I went to the Ohio Valley Regional Conference that year, so I'm not sure why none of those courses are showing up -  I should have probably 12 units at that conference!  Ugh.

May 29, 14 10:27 pm  · 
 · 

It's an extortion racket.

May 29, 14 10:28 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Donna - I've had pretty good luck over the years getting 'missed' credits posted on a delayed basis, provided I have decent records confirming my participation at the event. Usually a polite inquiry to the event organizer does the trick. However, since you are under some time pressure, you may need to be pretty hands-on.

There's also the 'self-report' option - however I don't really know what sort of specific documentation you might need as backup to the LUs you self report.

Good luck.

May 29, 14 11:49 pm  · 
 · 

I spoke to them this morning.  I'm just going to mail them what I have and a letter explaining what's going on so if nothing else I *have* responded within the timeframe they requested.  That should buy me time to sort out the conference issue with AIA.

May 30, 14 8:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: