Archinect
anchor

Thread Central

curtkram

i would refrain from creating such stereotypes on things i don't understand.  that's just me though.  probably the protestant ethic i was raised with.

Dec 3, 13 2:35 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I didn't create the stereotypes.  They are often talked about ... especially in huge urban areas.  They are more about humorous facts or quirks and the fodder for films, sitcoms, "The Simpsons," "South Park," coffee conversation, et. al.

It was to "lighten up" the atmosphere in here, where the talk about the transgressions of certain peoples and genocide prevailed, making this silly by comparison, as it was intended to be.

Right, our sensibilities are very different.  People impersonated my parents constantly when I was a kid, and it was quite funny.  I impersonated their parents, and we still laugh about these impersonations as adults. 

There we go again.

Dec 3, 13 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

all religions and all gods are all just insulting piles of steaming bullshit. No faster way to degenerate a conversation than to bring in superstitions... regardless of what hat your flavour of the month wears.

Dec 3, 13 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Stereotypes. The same things that can be funny at a family reunion can get you killed at a public restaurant.

Dec 3, 13 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Well, I suppose if you had an altercation where you threw out a nasty stereotype at someone in public, that could happen.

However, Eddie Murphy, Andrew Dice Clay, Lisa Lampanelli, and the late LaWanda Page (Bible thumping Aunt Esther on "Sanford and Son") didn't/don't seem to have a problem, and neither do the amateurs who have the same formula.

Dec 3, 13 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Comedy relies on a pact between performer and audience. You can research for yourself what happens when the pact isn't upheld by both parties.

Simply saying "I'm saying this in an attempt to be funny" doesn't absolve you from the ire you draw from anyone who happens across it. This isn't a comedy club, you aren't a comedian.

Dec 3, 13 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Simply saying "I'm saying this in an attempt to be funny" doesn't absolve you from the ire you draw from anyone who happens across it. This isn't a comedy club, you aren't a comedian.

Nor am I claiming to be.  Having been raised in the 2 largest urban areas in America, I find this stuff humorous, and so do all my friends, all of whom can laugh at themselves.

The post was in response to a WEEK of cross-cultural REAL hate spewed as a result of merely bringing up Thanksgiving.

And, since you're "sneaky," what exactly is your story, in that you just swoop in like this?  Architects can be so pissy.  It's part of the libtard, beta male packaging.

Dec 3, 13 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm not pissy. I'm commenting. Thanks for the labels.

Dec 3, 13 3:20 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I'm not pissy. I'm commenting. Thanks for the labels.

I wasn't labeling you.  I was referring to many architects in general.  With a debut "should a college degree be required to become an architect" thread and the "wonderful" response it got, I realized I irked a good number of people, many of whom have extended education yet want to be more "inclusive."  Spare me.  Ask the doctors if they want people to be doctors without going to medical school.

A couple of anecdotes of beta male architect behavior:

1)  Worked at a firm.  We had an outside graphics guy.  He was really nice, but a real Mr. Rogers type.  A UNL guy in the firm said his wife was real brassy and that's who you'd get when you called their house.  Having also spoken to the wife, I said "I'd bet she was the one who proposed."  UNL guy bursts into laughter.  West Coast school liberal guy standing nearby says "What's wrong with that?"  This same guy was also pissed that he couldn't get involved in the Girl Scouts for his daughter, when he was involved in the Boy Scouts for his son.  Let your wife handle the Girl Scouts part, idiot.  The latter guy got along better with women than he did with men.  This dude went to another firm, where a friend of mine worked, and who corroborated he was much the same.

2) In our multi-level building was a tough looking broad who was the office manager for an engineering firm.  She was never pleasant if you were in the elevator with her.  Heck, she had to run an office full of engineers, surveyors, et. al.  We finally got to see her husband.  He had a weak chin.  What would one expect?  She was once going to her car a little later than usual, which we could see from floor-to-ceiling windows.  There were about 6 of us working a little late, all GUYS in our 30s, and I said "I bet sex with (name of this office manager lady) was meant to hurt."  Guys who had studied elsewhere and had done some geographic transplanting laughed.  Guys who were inbreds with alumni school ties did not.  It was like a line in the sand.  These were GUYS.  And they never talked like this in college?

That's what I meant.  While I found "American Psycho" reprehensible, you can bet that investment bankers and stockbrokers in an urban center talk a lot worse than what was enumerated above.  President Nixon could have used having his mouth washed out with soap.  So, yes, SOME architects are pissy, prickly, and overly sensitive.

Dec 3, 13 3:38 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I'm by no means oversensitive (I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for it) and I find your justification of  your lack of consideration reprehensible. You say they need to loosen up and allow you to objectify, label, and ridicule them. I would opine that they are not the problem. I think you could use a lesson in discretion.

Dec 3, 13 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

observant, while you didn't create those stereotypes you go out of your way to perpetuate them. You're as bad as tammuz. Which FYI is monotype, not a stereotype.  

Dec 3, 13 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Again, miles jaffa aka hemorrhoid, go find someone else. I dont see steteotyping on my part. Obviously, you're dishonest and your sole purpose is to defame.

Dec 3, 13 4:14 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I think you could use a lesson in discretion.

Let's see.  These same guys can do the "macho thing" and swill the beer, yet a comment that alludes to sex, actually only the latter of the two, meets with disapproval.  Kind of inconsistent, isn't it?

You're as bad as tammuz. Which FYI is monotype, not a stereotype.

Not really, since I am apolitical and don't give a shit about who hates who, being content not to be involved, the way t a m m u z and some others do, and don't know about the features of all these various religions.  What is the inclusion of an "extra" stereotype?  I can laugh at my own group, and do so all the time.  You are entitled to your faulty opinion.  What's more interesting is that you play this card when you obviously come from an established lineage of educated folks, and I come from immigrant working class roots and find it all very laughable.

· 
toasteroven

I said "I bet sex with (name of this office manager lady) was meant to hurt."

wow - WTF... I bet those were nervous laughs you got.   You don't speculate about what happens in other people's bedrooms.  That's really fucking creepy.

· 
toasteroven

yet a comment that alludes to sex, actually only the latter of the two, meets with disapproval.  Kind of inconsistent, isn't it?

no - you're actively speculating about someone's personal relationship with their spouse.  that's really fucking creepy.  you don't know these people - why the fuck would you say something like that?  it makes you sound like a psychopath.

Dec 3, 13 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

You can keep making up anecdotes in an effort to justify your point of view or you can deal with the reality that the only personality on display here is yours. Everything else is a recounting from your point of view. That makes it completely non objective. Your assumptions and stories don't forgive your actions and thoughts.

I am not judging you, I am simply explaining how you come across to me, as someone who does not know you.

Dec 3, 13 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
observant

wow - WTF... I bet those were nervous laughs you got.   You don't speculate about what happens in other people's bedrooms.  That's really fucking creepy.  you don't know these people - why the fuck would you say something like that?  it makes you sound like a psychopath.

They were REAL laughs.  The guys who laughed thought she was a bitch, too.  I can't take credit for it, since I learned it the first year in grad school, at the dinner table, when a grad student referred to a woman in his program who was presumably straight, but a little on the tough side.  In that case, he brought the table down with laughter, both men and women.  Cool people at the table, I guess. 

There are people who present a normal facade in their marriages, yet engage in role play and the use of whips and chains, or they wouldn't sell them or have terms like "dominatrix."  It's certainly not my baseline for normalcy in the romance department.

Dec 3, 13 4:20 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I went to this place one time and made a sexist/racist/intolerant joke. Everyone laughed.

Cool people at the table, I guess.

Dec 3, 13 4:24 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Pete, are you from the Twin Cities?

Dec 3, 13 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

I had to look that up. I am not.

Dec 3, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

The hemorrhoid Miles Jaffe is the one basing his judgements on steteotypes. I believe observant does as well but not out of hatred. Simply an obstinate confidence in the way he chooses to see things. This is his limitation he chooses for himself. Dommage. On the other hand, re: Miles Jaffa What is ironic is that he complains-rightfully-about the dire condition of the world and yet he is himself is habitually a nasty vitriolic shrivelled up man.

Dec 3, 13 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I believe observant does as well but not out of hatred. Simply an obstinate confidence in the way he chooses to see things.

I would agree with you here.  I had lots of friends from different walks of life growing up.  We all teased each other.  I loved it.  They loved it.

I had only 2 WASP friends, though not during my studies, never having really known any prior.  One was an architect, but an evangelical religious zealot, so she had to go.  The other was half Scandinavian and half Egyptian, but raised by his Protestant mother, and he surprisingly called it like he saw it, based on being transferred to various U.S. offices within his company.  Unfortunately, I learned "I don't trust anyone who doesn't drink" from this person, so hasta la vista.

Dec 3, 13 4:38 pm  · 
 · 

archinect is turning into a cripple fight

which, incidentally, was based on a fight scene from they live we sleep an uderated classic featuring a drifter fighting hidden aliens controlling the world.  sound familiar?

Dec 3, 13 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i've never really noticed miles stereotyping much...  except for people in the hamptons.  i doubt that's what you're talking about.

you did post pages and pages of how horrible americans and europeans are for the terrible awful things they did to the native americans.  i mean, it was a bit more than just letting us know you think our children aren't learning the right lessons in school.  from the way i read your posts, they were filled with anger and violence.  maybe that wasn't the way you intended those to be received, but the hostility was abundant.  that hostility and anger is also present when you talk about the israeli/palestinian region and people involved in those troubles.

perhaps you're mistaking a generalized stereotype for comments miles directed specifically at you, due to the comments you made?

Dec 3, 13 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Curtkram, review my reply to you. As for Miles jaffa cake, he passed on a post once that you must have missed or chosen to miss- and I know what he's driving to Iin his insistently vitriolic posts towards me. I also know he is incapable of accepting criticism (of an idea of his - we're not taklking personal here)..and he holds grudges and assigns people for his leisurely disliking. He's simply an asshole. Or an annex to one. Im not accusing you or someone else of that but specifically Miles. And this is for a reason. I have told him to ignore me and not to throw his nonsense and false accusations my way yet he keeps on doing it. I didnt mention europeans, I mentioned the US. And when I didnt say their people are guilty...or that a race is guilty. Read exactly what I wrote...do not make a melange with your assumptions and clichés. I dont understand what you mean by "white people". I dont think that way and...if you understand the world from a wider perspective you'd know whiteness is relative anyway. No I dont hold hatred for people but if I want to criticize I will. If someone is predisposed to read that as hatred then its their call.

Dec 3, 13 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

so,,, nobody is annoyed that ebay is gonna start using drones for deliveries??

Dec 3, 13 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

tammuz, I have no malice toward you. I don't even know you. But based on what you write (most of which now I completely ignore), I don't have any desire to know you.

FYI, the comment you went full retard on was referring to observant hijacking this thread in the same way that you hijacked the Thanksgiving thread. In that thread you made a valid point but then proceeded to repeatedly shove it down our collective throats as if we personally eradicated all native Americans instead of recognizing that some people enjoy a holiday simply because they get to spend time with family and loved ones.

Interesting to see how differently you and observant responded to my criticism. There is a lesson there for you if you care to pay attention. But If you'd rather keep throwing yourself on every imaginary landmine you see ... well, knock yourself out. You are the poster boy for vitriol.

FYI this is positive criticism, but only if you pull your head far enough out of your ass to recognize it.

Dec 3, 13 5:08 pm  · 
 · 

Miles, I saw that Carpenter film for the first time a few years ago, also watched a bunch of his other films at same time;Thing, Big Trouble in Little China i had seen them back in 80s but was more impressed re-watching.

Dec 3, 13 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

so,,, nobody is annoyed that ebay is gonna start using drones for deliveries??

Colbert did a great bit on this last night.

Dec 3, 13 5:11 pm  · 
 · 

Nam, I'm lost - that Carpenter film?

Dec 3, 13 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
observant

The greater tri-state New York area is the birthplace and biggest purveyor of stereotyping, off-color humor, comedians, and seeing everything under the sun, yet it coexists with tolerance, people commenting on it in a matter-of-fact way, and directness.  Except for the few times some black young adults ended up in Howard Beach, Queens, and the local Guidos went at it with them, and it made national  news years ago, these flare-ups are few, compared to when things heat up in Detroit, Memphis, or other cities down South where scorching humidity fans the flames, and crime and insufferable humid weather have been positively correlated in some studies.  So, New Yorkers can't play dumb.  They don't get a pass.

Dec 3, 13 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

tammuz, i didn't reply to that post because it was not a good post to reply to.  however, since you bring it up again, i will reply and the consequence of me replying should become apparent, thus showing why it was better for me to not reply.

i went to thanksgiving with my family.  we were all thankful for all sorts of things.  it was a good time, there was turkey and beer and wine and football.  nobody talked about custer or the trail of tears or the seminole or anything even remotely related to the vitriol you were rambling on about, because that has nothing to do with this holiday.  sure, there were bad things that happened to the native americans.  the united states government has been responsible for some of those cruel acts.  a lot of those cruel acts were at the hands of private organizations too.

if you specifically look at the dinner between the pilgrims and the Wampanoag; there was a peace treaty.  it wasn't the people at that dinner that created the war between those people.  at that time, both populations had been fairly well decimated due to weather, sickness, disease, war, etc.  the war between them happened later, and it was their children that engaged in the war rather than the people who were actually giving thanks at the meal this holiday supposedly celebrates.  it was your choice to make this holiday about war instead of thankfulness.  most people in america that i came in contact with choose not to focus on hate. 

badly timed?  as if moving the date forward or back a week would make a difference?  you're angry because you want to be.  i'm pretty sure the timing isn't relevant.  we put a national holiday at a time when people have always had some sort of harvest celebration.  that is followed up by a holiday when people have always celebrated the solstice...

i recognize the possibility that i missed some of the posts miles directed at you.  i might be right though, in that his posts directed at you are because of what you said, not because he is stereotyping.  being an asshole and/or holding a grudge is not stereotyping a group.

you have made many posts about how you dislike various groups of people because of the wars they are involved in.  not just native americans, but in other topics as well.  unless i'm mistaken, you always support the people with darker complexion.  i don't recall you ever taking a position on a genocidal war between non-white groups such as what happened in rwanda.  even then, i'm pretty sure you would be upset with the dutch or the UN or some other group composed largely of lighter-complected people.  it's been pretty consistent that you are vocal when a fair-complected group of people are at war with a darker-complected group, and in those cases you consistently throw your vitriol against the fairer-complected group.  you're typically not even supporting the darker-complected group, it's just attacks against the fair-complected, which to me makes it worse.  perhaps it isn't about complexion, perhaps it's about religion or geography.  still, it's there.  am i mistaken in that appraisal of your views?

i don't read hatred into very many people's posts.  maybe something is lost in translation, and you really think the hateful things you say will come across different.  you've been too consistent in repeating your stance for me to believe that though.

Dec 3, 13 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Wow.  Thread Central has really gotten out of hand.  Here.  Let me post the garwandler to lighten the mood a bit.  

Let's take it back to the oldskool, people.  

Dec 3, 13 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

I could caption that 2 ways, and both having to do with telephone company jingles:

1)  Reach out and touch someone

2)  Let your fingers do the walking through the Yellow Pages

Dec 3, 13 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton
Which makes me think of this, Obs.
http://youtu.be/26DD0JwAbAc
Dec 3, 13 7:16 pm  · 
 · 
observant

^

Interesting!  When I think of Depeche Mode, I always think:

"Hurry up (depeche) and get me some apple pie (a la mode)."

Dec 3, 13 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

wow. insane. right on sneaky pete.  couldn't have put any of that better.

@ handsum, re fukushima that is old news. its complicated stuff. too many people with axes to grind to get a clear picture anymore. which is probably where most news stations are too, as far as it goes.

the point with all news is to be intelligent enough to recognize a point of view behind the stories and come to terms with this and that and the other thing and so on. or whatever. It doesn't mean all that much if we assume we are adults. So i'll continue to watch BBC and be glad that I at least know something is going on in the world.  And when I want to be comforted by how unfucked up the world can be I'll watch CBC and happily note that our biggest scandal is about an expense account...or watch NHK in Japanese and shrug at how blindingly ignorant Japanese would be if that was all they had available. its worse then the usa ;-)

Dec 3, 13 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

curtkram - 

sure, there were bad things that happened to the native americans. -  a genocide, that the native indians memorialize on that day.  

the united states government has been responsible for some of those cruel acts.  - hence the necessity to recognize that and not to bury it under a regressive guise

if you specifically look at the dinner between the pilgrims and the Wampanoag; there was a peace treaty.  it wasn't the people at that dinner that created the war between those people.  - native indians look on it as a day of betrayal. they do not look on it as you do, quite simply. its a day of mourning. you wish to lie about it, up to you. but a lie does not cancel out a truth for the people who suffered its consequence. link in the thanksgiving thread. 

at that time, both populations had been fairly well decimated due to weather, sickness, disease, war, etc.  - the largest number of native indians deaths occured as a consequence of the deliberate spreading of the european maladies amongst the native indians. link in the thanksgiving thread. 

the war between them happened later, and it was their children that engaged in the war rather than the people who were actually giving thanks at the meal this holiday supposedly celebrates.  - this is ridiculous alleviation of responsibility. The US is founded on these acts of violence that started from the get go by the usurpation of land by the europeans. its quite simply colonialism. 

it was your choice to make this holiday about war instead of thankfulness.  most people in america that i came in contact with choose not to focus on hate. - i choose to make it about memory and justice for a war that killed the larger part of the native indians. most people in america are most people in american...enough said. that is the problem. 

badly timed?  as if moving the date forward or back a week would make a difference? - yes, it means something. it would be a gesture that carries a valour to the native indians. exactly as thanksgiving carries a (mythical) valour to you. by arguimg that it doesnt, you prove that thanksgiving itself doesnt carry a valour. and, between the priority of a banal meal that you can have any other time and a recogniztion of a genocide, i choose the latter. its justice being served, not just a turkey.

you're angry because you want to be. - i'm not angry. i sent the links in the thanksgiving thread because i wanted to. nough said. 

i'm pretty sure the timing isn't relevant.  we put a national holiday at a time when people have always had some sort of harvest celebration.  that is followed up by a holiday when people have always celebrated the solstice... - bullshit. its a day of mourning. coincidence not. 

i recognize the possibility that i missed some of the posts miles directed at you. - so don't continue. 

i might be right though, in that his posts directed at you are because of what you said, not because he is stereotyping.  being an asshole and/or holding a grudge is not stereotyping a group. - I'm wowed by your reading skills. The reason I brought it up is because Miles  builds exactly that bridge. He did it on two occasion, one more covertly than the other. lets say, i got the message clear "cousin". 

you have made many posts about how you dislike various groups of people because of the wars they are involved in.  - be specific or don't continue. you're building a house of cards. you have no other purpose than to get from your inane assumptions (to be shown) and build an insipid logic for what comes after. 

unless i'm mistaken, you always support the people with darker complexion. - mistaken, irrelevant. 

i don't recall you ever taking a position on a genocidal war between non-white groups such as what happened in rwanda. - so? I don't know enough about the world. This does not detract from the validity of what i have to say. Assuming more (as you shown below) shows that you are reading you own assumptions as (in)valid conclusion. 

even then, i'm pretty sure you would be upset with the dutch or the UN or some other group composed largely of lighter-complected people.  - blah blah, no. 

it's been pretty consistent that you are vocal when a fair-complected group of people are at war with a darker-complected group, and in those cases you consistently throw your vitriol against the fairer-complected group.  - I don't refer to colour complex. in fact, many many palestians - if not half or more- are white. or instance,  historically, there is a link between palestinians, greece, greek islands and the larger region. as there are with other people of that area. i spoke about palestians. on the other hand, there are many israelis who originate from yemen,ethiopia, the persian gulf area, the maghreb area even souther european jews (mizrahis, sephardites ...etc) who are far darker in complexion. 

you're typically not even supporting the darker-complected group, it's just attacks against the fair-complected, which to me makes it worse.  perhaps it isn't about complexion, perhaps it's about religion or geography.  still, it's there.  am i mistaken in that appraisal of your views? - re: race, as above. re:religion, i come from an immediate familial environment that includes moslems and christians of many sects. i have no qualms with any religion as long as it doesnt overstep its boundary. i said that already but obviously you're deadset on finding something to accuse me with. re: geography: i love all areas of the world but i do not love places whose people accept to perpetrate injustice.  

i don't read hatred into very many people's posts.  maybe something is lost in translation, and you really think the hateful things you say will come across different.  you've been too consistent in repeating your stance for me to believe that though.- yes i know, inspite of the lack of any substance or intelligent credibility in your post, and inspite of all the justification on my part, you choose to not believe anything I said. your loss; you remain deluded.  

Dec 3, 13 10:33 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Miles Jaffe,

tammuz, I have no malice toward you. I don't even know you. But based on what you write (most of which now I completely ignore), I don't have any desire to know you. - good, then continue to ignore me and stop throwing misrepresentation accusations every now and then. I have the decency not to bring your name up as a benchmark for what is bad - on the other hand, you don't. evidence shows, you do have malice. each unprovoked comment from you directed towards me shows exactly that.  coincidence not. 

FYI, the comment you went full retard on was referring to observant hijacking this thread in the same way that you hijacked the Thanksgiving thread. - this is your way of seeing it.  i chose to supply a bunch of links and literature so that i can justify why i was against thanksgiving. people can choose to read or not, to discuss their turkeys and ignore me. i felt it was my right to do so and that it was relevant for us to know what really happened and why thanksgiving should not be celebrated. i did not spam and i did not talk abouy my person - the literature was important for me. 

In that thread you made a valid point - you mocked the point in the thanksgiving thread and you were hardly concerned with whether the point was valid or not. you're a hypocrite by pointing out that it is valid here when you all your contribution there was to deride (As is always your contribution here on archinect- unoriginal, cliched and snide) 

but then proceeded to repeatedly shove it down our collective throats as if we personally eradicated all native Americans - thats a ridiculous (mis)reading on your part. i did not say that you were all guilty. see above: thanksgiving should not be celebrated, one would be guilty of celebrating it not of the genocide itself. deliberate misrepresentation on your part here or an idiotic reading. 

instead of recognizing that some people enjoy a holiday simply because they get to spend time with family and loved ones. - my concern is different. if so they choose, it is up to them although  i believe something else should be memorialized on that day - not a fake myth to bury the truth under.

Interesting to see how differently you and observant responded to my criticism. There is a lesson there for you if you care to pay attention. - No, I don't care. You don't deserve playing that superior moral card .

But If you'd rather keep throwing yourself on every imaginary landmine you see ... well, knock yourself out. You are the poster boy for vitriol. - you started trolling about my language. you also trolled about my participation in the schumacher newsfeed. you then mocked in the thanksgiving thread. you're a definite asshole. you have  insistently picking on my posts irrespective of their validity. then when i bring this up, you start playing the superior moral card trying to make it appear as I'm the on to fault. Yes, I call you an asshole or more accurately a hemorrhoid because you are one, i won't try to be snide as you do.

FYI this is positive criticism, but only if you pull your head far enough out of your ass to recognize it. - I want your head out of my ass, you hemorrhoid. if my posts annoy you, if my person annoys you, if my background -for whatever reason- annoys you, you have the far more savoury option of ignore these. stick to the content only. don't tell others "you're as bad as tammuz". this is not your right. perhaps, however, you are unable to for whatever reasons a twisted bitter hemorrhoid can only understand. 

Dec 3, 13 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
rfuller

Cool story, bro. What are your thoughts on 3DH?

Dec 3, 13 11:16 pm  · 
 · 

Sorry, everyone. It seems that whatever it is I stepped in is still on my shoes and I've tracked it all over TC. Amazing how one turd can really stink up the place. 

And it used to be so nice here. <sigh>

Dec 3, 13 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
observant

wow. insane. right on sneaky pete.  couldn't have put any of that better.

Interesting you choose to applaud sneakypete, whose only sparring was with me.  Predictable.  My mantra is that everyone is weird and idiosyncratic.  Even me.  And even you, Will, though I think you think you're above the fray.

The expression or bumper sticker "Why be normal?" is indeed a good one.  That's because it's impossible to know what normal is.  Certainly, normalcy can be approximated through media and societal references, but that doesn't necessarily make these things normal.  Rather, it makes them popular.

And it used to be so nice here. <sigh>

It can still be if you look at this for its ridiculous value and cast of characters, and relegate more serious thoughts about architecture to other threads.

Dec 3, 13 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

Miles Jaffa cake: Being the hemorrhoid that you are, the shit you're wading in is your own natural coating.  

Dec 3, 13 11:49 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i am watching a friend die a slow agonizing death. that friend is thread central.

Dec 4, 13 12:07 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

no worries vado, i only came here because Miles and his lackies brought me up in a disrepectful way on here (as he does to the end with his mock polite old lady "im so sorry dearies" routine whilst suggestion that other people were turds).   i will not take up your space and i think things should go back to normal should those people generally mind their business. 

Dec 4, 13 12:15 am  · 
 · 

good morning, everyone! what's up?! 

today i get to go talk to an ad agency about branding strategies for a new public school. bizarro, eh? 

and tomorrow's repeal day, don't forget. one of the more important landmarks of the holiday season. 

friday evening it's a celebration party for two friends of ours who - after 25 years together - have now been able to get married. 

interspersed with all of this exciting activity, i'm *supposed* to be writing a specification. one of the hardest specs i've ever had to write because nothing about the project is the normal stuff. this will require focused time alone which is difficult to find these days! 

Dec 4, 13 7:41 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Spec writing. One of the necessary evils in the profession.

Dec 4, 13 10:16 am  · 
 · 
rfuller

Steven, I don't think that's bizarro at all.  When I had to sign a non-compete after my divorce and quit the construction world for a couple of years, I got a job doing image based internet marketing.  It actually has been a great use of my design skills and computer savvy that I gained with my degree.  To be totally honest I felt like it filled a gap that I had been missing. 

In fact, I recently started building again.  I've done some remodel work and I'm doing a couple of houses.  I don't think I'll take on any more.  I really prefer getting to use my creativity over the higher pay.  

Dec 4, 13 10:23 am  · 
 · 

"friday evening it's a celebration party for two friends of ours who - after 25 years together - have now been able to get married."

f'in absured how expensive it is to get married these days for most people.  how can anyone have family anymore when you have to spend decades saving up the cash first?

Dec 4, 13 11:07 am  · 
 · 

Elephant penis  spotted !   what the fucks?!

and again how the fuck do the cancadians get a pass on genocide just cause they hold their "thanksgiving celebrations" a month earlier?  Do they somehow pass off the gilt to the British Crown?

And for that matter, if we are going to hold Americans responsible for the indian genocide then shouldn't the colonial powers of the 17th centurty such as Britain, Span and France be just as coupable?  Or are they off the hook because they don't stop working long enough to actually be thankful for anything???

Dec 4, 13 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: