Archinect
anchor

General Questions About Paths-Need Info/Advice

Zmaners7

I will be an incoming freshman at Virginia Tech majoring in building construction, I've always been interested in architecture and really grown to look at it as a profession over the past 2 years. I've read all the horror stories of not finding a job or getting paid low (which I guess low pay is 30-55k for an architect).

I did research and found that building construction is just like architecture but focuses more on the business aspect of the profession, such as marketing and things like that. If I go through the whole program and get my degree in building construction could it be used to land a job in a architectural-like environment? It might be a dumb question but will I be able to do creative things as architects usually do, because that's what drew me in to the profession of architecture.

I still don't know the full information or description of building construction, which is why I'd like to know more information about it. I've set my eyes on looking at a profession that will be able to support me and possibly a family in the near future once I get out of college. Building construction would definitely make me a good amount of money, especially enough to support a family and may off those dreadful student loans.

I've done a lot of thinking as well about if I find building construction not so appealing to what I want to do. I've been set on architecture or engineering, with engineering being my favorable profession when I was in high school up until senior year when I started looking more into architecture. If I don't like building construction then I'll transfer into engineering, but I feel like both professions would be the same around the architectural aspect.

Any input, advice, information, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jun 23, 14 11:32 am
stone

"I did research and found that building construction is just like architecture but focuses more on the business aspect of the profession, such as marketing and things like that."

Really? You probably need to do some more research then.

Building construction -- at least in the commercial and institutional arena -- is not at all about "design" beyond its role in "value engineering", during which process all of the "design" is eliminated from the building.

Jun 23, 14 12:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: